TO35 Radiator Advice

cloudcap

New User
I'm on a quest to get a new radiator for my TO35 and could use your advice.

I started by measuring the core of the existing radiator and then visiting the parts page at Yesterday's Tractors to find one that was the same size. Here's the dimensions and options I've been considering:

cvphoto154887.jpg

I went with Part Number 1660499M92 since it had a core with dimensions that were the closest to my existing radiator. Unfortunately, when it arrived it had two major problems:
- The top tube came out mostly straight and interfered with the gas tank, and
- There was no bracket for the top mounting rod.

Here's a photo showing the original and new radiators:

cvphoto154888.jpg

The folks at YT were good enough to accept a return, but I'm out about $130 for shipping here and back.

I next went to a local radiator shop to see if they could re-core it, but I'm told they can't since the side rails are unique and they can't get replacements. Seems odd to me, but that's their story.

A local tractor supplier has replacement they claim will work (PN 186830M91) and the notes even say that the top tube curves down. It also has a Part Number that is consistent w/ the Massey Ferguson parts manual. Encouraging. However, the overall height (23) is shorter than my existing radiator (25).

The helpful parts person said that sometimes MF installed the diesel radiator in gas tractors and suggested that I order 186732M91 instead, but there's no indication that the top tube points downward. He said that I could always just return the radiator if there's a problem, but that's on my dime (actually, it is closer to a c-note).

So I'm waffling on what to do next. I lean toward the 186830M91 since the top tube (allegedly) curves down and that's what bit me last time. Shorter is typically easier to deal with than taller. But I'm tired of making stupid mistakes and (literally) paying the price, so I'm hoping one or more of you have been down this road before and can offer some helpful suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Could have had the upper curved neck removed from the old radiator, and installed on the new radiator if you still had it (probably what I would have done, a good radiator man could have done it, and could have put some sort of support bracket on it). The new radiator is the "new" version of the curved neck (they can't seem make something like they used to).

This post was edited by ptfarmer on 05/19/2023 at 12:44 pm.

Bummer, sorry that Yesterday's didn't stock the good stuff, even if they sponcer this sight! Can you get to a general vender like Tractor Supply? You cant
do worse! My local tractor guy got me a Made In Ireland one- great part. In regards to the support loop- your call but may not be a deal breaker. Some think
it stresses brass too much anyway, and do not use- the straight hose can serve a OK. Old or not, you have a very popular machine and you (and it) deserve a
proper part- they are out there- pass on good venders and run to rest to ground. Lastly, soldering a leak is not hard and you may find a shop to rod out or
recore- got to keep the talented employed also...

In retrospect, having the radiator shop modify the wrong unit I got from YT was probably a pretty good option. I could have spent my shipping money on the shop's labor and maybe have even come out ahead. At the time, I didn't realize what kind of magic a good radiator shop could do. Water under the bridge.

Tractor Supply is another good suggestion. Turns out they have one that looks pretty good (in the picture), but their price is high. On a whim, I checked Amazon and they have a *bunch* of options, many of them from aluminum and quite inexpensive. Any thoughts on the quality/value of aluminum radiators? I'm not trying to restore this tractor into showroom condition -- I just want it to look reasonable and run reliably.

Rodding out the original radiator wasn't an option -- the core was totally shot. I made the mistake of hitting it w/ the power washer when I cleaned up the rest of the tractor and apparently dirt was the only thing holding it together. When I finished the radiator was spurting water in a dozen different directions -- looked like someone had shot it w/ a machine gun.

I have a 1960 MF 35 that I am slowly rehabbing. I got a new radiator for it off from ebay about 3 or 4 years ago that was a perfect fit. I don't remember the company name. Just spent a half hour or more looking for the receipt, but didn't find it. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Well, the saga continues.

After waffling over the different options I eventually decided to give one of the aluminum radiators from Amazon a try. They look lovely on the web site and shipping is free (both directions), so the downside risk of having it not fit it low. I picked out an inexpensive one ($179, ASIN B09Z2M2LBK) and it was here in just a couple days.

Here's how it stacks up next to the old radiator:

cvphoto155242.jpg

The top pipe doesn't point down as steeply, but it is shorter so that should give me more room to squeeze it under the fuel tank. It also has the top mount for the rod, which is nice. Unfortunately, the bottom pipe sticks out further from the center of the core and thus interferes with the front axle. I measured from the center of the bottom mounting bolts to the face of the bottom elbow and it is 2.5 on the original radiator and 3.25 on the aluminum. The additional 3/4 is a show-stopper. Here's some photos:

cvphoto155243.jpg

cvphoto155244.jpg

I was able to quickly and easily return the aluminum radiator back to Amazon and a refund is in the works. The only thing it cost me was some time and annoyance.

My newest plan is to go w/ a copper replica from a local tractor store. I still have to order it and it will likely be painful if I need to send it back, but it is the right MF part number and claims that the top tube curves down. We'll see how this works out.

I was able to connect w/ someone on the YT Forum that can replace the core on my existing radiator, but they're far away and shipping to/from will likely be painful. On the up-side, it would be a nice radiator -- the replicas are super light and flimsy relative the original ones. For now I'm holding off on going that direction.

OK, I think I've got one that will work. I ordered a radiator from a local tractor store that is supposed to match MF part number 186830M91. While it is an inch shorter than my original radiator, it is a good fit in every other respect -- the lower pipe clears the front axle, the upper pipe fits beneath the fuel tank, and it has the necessary bracket for the upper rod mount. The holes in the side rails even line up with the holes in the fan shroud. It was sourced through Northern Radiator and their part number is 219560. Here's a photo:

cvphoto155424.jpg

Thanks for all of your suggestions in helping me find this. It was a more circuitous route than I'd have preferred, but I think I got a decent product in the end.

Ron

(quoted from post at 16:53:10 05/19/23) I have a 1960 MF 35 that I am slowly rehabbing. I got a new radiator for it off from ebay about 3 or 4 years ago that was a perfect fit. I don't remember the company name. Just spent a half hour or more looking for the receipt, but didn't find it. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

I have an MF202 which is the industrial version of the MF35. My fan ejected a blade sending it through the radiator. TSC was able to order a replacement radiator that if I remember correctly fit perfectly with no modification. By the way, I also ordered a new fan and water pump from YT that also fit correctly.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back