Torching Spot Weld?

Tim in New York

Well-known Member
Location
Upstate New York
I'm rebuilding an old spreader that was converted to a firewood trailer 25 years ago. There are metal straps spot welded across the uprights that I need to remove. Don't have a welder or a real torch, just a bottle torch. Can I get the weld hot enough to break it and remove the straps?

Thanks,
Tim
 
You"re welcome. You will find a lot of other uses for the grinder. One use I come across once in a while is removing extra skin and cloth from various body areas.:)
 
If they are "welded in spots" on each upright, a $30 4" grinder from Northern Tool etc. will do it. If they are spot welds from a spot welder, a high quality drill bit will take them out. JimN
 
Get a cheap HF 4.5 grinder [about 10 to 15 bucks] but get some of their cut off wheels, just got a flyer their on sale 10 for 2.99.They will go through spot weld like a hot knife through butter, Ive used them for years.
 
I have special spot weld drill bits for just that type of work.Body shops use them alot.Bent a snout on the combine and had lots of spot weld to drill,makes for fast removal.
 
Ya forgot ta mention another good use fer 'em....
They will sanitize a big spot in yer shirt, if ya point the sparks just rite...
 
Yea, and another thing they have been known to do. Catch a man's shirt on fire. I have ruined a couple of good shirts that way.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top