Toro 223D with Mitsubishi L3E engine Low Compression. Where to find new pistons?

777funk

I had a mouse chew a hole in the air filter and now am low enough in compression that the machine will not start.
150, 250, 300 psi in no particular order.

So it's time for a rebore and new pistons. Everything on ebay is China. I feel the machine deserves good pistons and I'd hate to have one break and create even more trouble.

Where do I look for replacement pistons?

Thanks! This engine doesn't have liners in it now so I figured I'd just go 0.25mm oversize (recommended in the manual). I was hoping to find a kit with that in mind.

Are those kits Japan made?

A couple of things:
1. A lot of Mitsubishi smaller diesels have liners but not the typed I expected the first time I tore into one. They are 'semi-finished', pressed in, then bored and honed to finished size. To remove they recommend boring to almost gone and peeling the remains out.
2. One cannot be assured that any parts purchased today did not originate from China, even those where the original maker was USA or Japan based. I've bought turbos for GM products from China that where the same in every respect compared to GM stuff. Only difference was $106 vs over 800 from Chevy.

A couple of things:
1. A lot of Mitsubishi smaller diesels have liners but not the typed I expected the first time I tore into one. They are 'semi-finished', pressed in, then bored and honed to finished size. To remove they recommend boring to almost gone and peeling the remains out.
2. One cannot be assured that any parts purchased today did not originate from China, even those where the original maker was USA or Japan based. I've bought turbos for GM products from China that where the same in every respect compared to GM stuff. Only difference was $106 vs over 800 from Chevy.

Maybe so in some cases. I also work on chainsaws (my own) and ordered a Chinese cylinder and piston kit. There was absolutely no comparison between the $60 kit and the original Sweden Husqvarna professional (XP) quality. I didn't do any cutaways on the parts to find voids and air pockets in the castings or analysis of the aluminum quality, but I'd bet these details were on par with the design and machining, which was pretty poor. I had to modify to get things to line up. There was a lot off. Not that China can't make good products. But I don't trust most of what I see on ebay and similar. The QC is just not there. There are no rules. It's a free for all.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back