And where does it grow? garden, pasture, beanfield?Can you post a picture of your weed please. And your location.
Dave
Bittersweet is easy compared to this one. I had a lot of bittersweet but not much now.Are you talking about the bittersweet that we are swamped with in the seacoast area? I'm only about 15 miles from you,but I have seen some areas close by that don't seem to have it.Chokes out anything in it's path.It ruined a friends 1010 crawler engine in Fremont.It climbed the stack,opened the flapper,and let the rain pour in.I've been going out for an hour every morning for a couple of weeks cutting a few inches out of every vine I can find.I cut most of them close to the ground,but some are hard to track down with all the leaves.On those I cut where I can,and in a few days the leaves have died off and I can see more of what I have to.
The area in the photo is 12x14. It is growing in my lawn for twenty-five years, just recently in a hayfield and forest next to it. It seems to thrive in sunny, shady, moist, or dry areas. My primary problem controlling weeds is my upwind neighbors. They have six horses, eight sheep, and four goats on what used to be six acres of lush pasture, but is now all weeds.And where does it grow? garden, pasture, beanfield?
Controlling bittersweet is basically two steps: first get the ones way up in the trees to stop the dropping of seeds. Second is to cut anything over three feet tall, and bend the stub over and dip it in brush killer. The small ones, 36 inches or less will mostly die after 2-3 hits of Tri-Mec which is way cheaper than brush killer.Picture of my 1010 dozer.All the weeds were cut away this spring,I was going to fire it up and sell it.I didn't get to it,and 5 months later this is what i have.The wild rosebush behind it always jumps out of the ground,but that bittersweet makes it look lazy.The vine over my stack is holding it shut.
Looks like the ajuga plant we sold in the greenhouse as a groundcover. Wouldn't think it would be that hard to get rid of, but never had too, ajuga had runners out from the base and grew quick and also would grow from just a short stalk of the plant.The area in the photo is 12x14. It is growing in my lawn for twenty-five years, just recently in a hayfield and forest next to it. It seems to thrive in sunny, shady, moist, or dry areas. My primary problem controlling weeds is my upwind neighbors. They have six horses, eight sheep, and four goats on what used to be six acres of lush pasture, but is now all weeds.
That weed looks like it has waxy leaves.The area in the photo is 12x14. It is growing in my lawn for twenty-five years, just recently in a hayfield and forest next to it. It seems to thrive in sunny, shady, moist, or dry areas. My primary problem controlling weeds is my upwind neighbors. They have six horses, eight sheep, and four goats on what used to be six acres of lush pasture, but is now all weeds.
So do I.That weed looks like it has waxy leaves.
Put some Dawn detergent in with the herbicide to make it soak in better.
I use Dawn all the time when I am spraying with glyphosate.
Mine is well below the mower height. It is probably well under one inch and I mow at 3.5.We have lots of that here.Wendy says it's Ajuga,she planted it all over the place 35 years ago for ground cover around the stone walls,and on some slopes and such around the culverts.She says it's a pull it up kind of plant.It does try to creep out into some places I mow,but I just mow right over it every week so it doesn't travel far.I have a bunch of it around the outhouse.
Just off the top of my head, your mix is too weak. I think it should be 4-6 oz to the gallon for handheld sprayer. Read your label. You also may want try Crossbow, it is for woody species and works on tough weeds, too. I agree with the waxy leaves needing a surfactant to prevent spray run off. Mark.I have a weed that appears to be some sort of ivy, that is not in the least affected by 41% glyphosate mixed at 1.5 oz to the gallon. Should I just mix stronger?
Methylated seed oil or crop oil as part of the mix would help as well. Or go old school and mix the glyphosate with diesel as a carrier. Although that might cost more than the correct adjuvant these days.That weed looks like it has waxy leaves.
Put some Dawn detergent in with the herbicide to make it soak in better.
I use Dawn all the time when I am spraying with glyphosate.
YesMethylated seed oil or crop oil as part of the mix would help as well. Or go old school and mix the glyphosate with diesel as a carrier. Although that might cost more than the correct adjuvant these days.
We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.
Copyright © 1997-2025 Yesterday's Tractor Co.
All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.
Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters
Website Accessibility Policy