showcrop

Well-known Member
I have a weed that appears to be some sort of ivy, that is not in the least affected by 41% glyphosate mixed at 1.5 oz to the gallon. Should I just mix stronger?
 
Are you talking about the bittersweet that we are swamped with in the seacoast area? I'm only about 15 miles from you,but I have seen some areas close by that don't seem to have it.Chokes out anything in it's path.It ruined a friends 1010 crawler engine in Fremont.It climbed the stack,opened the flapper,and let the rain pour in.I've been going out for an hour every morning for a couple of weeks cutting a few inches out of every vine I can find.I cut most of them close to the ground,but some are hard to track down with all the leaves.On those I cut where I can,and in a few days the leaves have died off and I can see more of what I have to.
 
Is it an annual or perennial? In the past I've used 2% Roundup per gallon on tough weeds with good success. If it's a perennial, now is the time to apply the herbie because the weed takes it down into the roots.
 
Are you talking about the bittersweet that we are swamped with in the seacoast area? I'm only about 15 miles from you,but I have seen some areas close by that don't seem to have it.Chokes out anything in it's path.It ruined a friends 1010 crawler engine in Fremont.It climbed the stack,opened the flapper,and let the rain pour in.I've been going out for an hour every morning for a couple of weeks cutting a few inches out of every vine I can find.I cut most of them close to the ground,but some are hard to track down with all the leaves.On those I cut where I can,and in a few days the leaves have died off and I can see more of what I have to.
Bittersweet is easy compared to this one. I had a lot of bittersweet but not much now.
 
Picture of my 1010 dozer.All the weeds were cut away this spring,I was going to fire it up and sell it.I didn't get to it,and 5 months later this is what i have.The wild rosebush behind it always jumps out of the ground,but that bittersweet makes it look lazy.The vine over my stack is holding it shut.
 

Attachments

  • 100_0174 (1).JPG
    100_0174 (1).JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
And where does it grow? garden, pasture, beanfield?
The area in the photo is 12x14. It is growing in my lawn for twenty-five years, just recently in a hayfield and forest next to it. It seems to thrive in sunny, shady, moist, or dry areas. My primary problem controlling weeds is my upwind neighbors. They have six horses, eight sheep, and four goats on what used to be six acres of lush pasture, but is now all weeds.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1788.jpeg
    IMG_1788.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Picture of my 1010 dozer.All the weeds were cut away this spring,I was going to fire it up and sell it.I didn't get to it,and 5 months later this is what i have.The wild rosebush behind it always jumps out of the ground,but that bittersweet makes it look lazy.The vine over my stack is holding it shut.
Controlling bittersweet is basically two steps: first get the ones way up in the trees to stop the dropping of seeds. Second is to cut anything over three feet tall, and bend the stub over and dip it in brush killer. The small ones, 36 inches or less will mostly die after 2-3 hits of Tri-Mec which is way cheaper than brush killer.
 
The area in the photo is 12x14. It is growing in my lawn for twenty-five years, just recently in a hayfield and forest next to it. It seems to thrive in sunny, shady, moist, or dry areas. My primary problem controlling weeds is my upwind neighbors. They have six horses, eight sheep, and four goats on what used to be six acres of lush pasture, but is now all weeds.
Looks like the ajuga plant we sold in the greenhouse as a groundcover. Wouldn't think it would be that hard to get rid of, but never had too, ajuga had runners out from the base and grew quick and also would grow from just a short stalk of the plant.
 
The area in the photo is 12x14. It is growing in my lawn for twenty-five years, just recently in a hayfield and forest next to it. It seems to thrive in sunny, shady, moist, or dry areas. My primary problem controlling weeds is my upwind neighbors. They have six horses, eight sheep, and four goats on what used to be six acres of lush pasture, but is now all weeds.
That weed looks like it has waxy leaves.
Put some Dawn detergent in with the herbicide to make it soak in better.
I use Dawn all the time when I am spraying with glyphosate.
 
We have lots of that here.Wendy says it's Ajuga,she planted it all over the place 35 years ago for ground cover around the stone walls,and on some slopes and such around the culverts.She says it's a pull it up kind of plant.It does try to creep out into some places I mow,but I just mow right over it every week so it doesn't travel far.I have a bunch of it around the outhouse.
 
We have lots of that here.Wendy says it's Ajuga,she planted it all over the place 35 years ago for ground cover around the stone walls,and on some slopes and such around the culverts.She says it's a pull it up kind of plant.It does try to creep out into some places I mow,but I just mow right over it every week so it doesn't travel far.I have a bunch of it around the outhouse.
Mine is well below the mower height. It is probably well under one inch and I mow at 3.5.
 
I'm not sure I'd trust expensive herbicide to Dawn dish soap. I use a non ionic surfactant religiously when mixing a tank full. And........it doesn't foam up like dish soap.

Seems silly to spend a sh9t ton of money on Remedy, and put DIY surfactant in the tank with it.

Some guys spray with very, and I mean VERY, mixed success every Spring. 2-4-D on hay fields. Which seems silly to me, it should be a one, and done, deal for a few years if you have a healthy field that crowds out the weeds.........which goes back to my habit of leaving around 4-6ish inches of stubble. Disc mowers, and sickle mowers set too low, have ruined many a native stand of grass.

Then you see these champs out there at 2:00 in the afternoon spraying. Most herbicides can't be applied above 80-85*. Around here, it hits 80 by 9-10:00 in the morning. Plants shut down when it gets hot..........they quit transpiration to save moisture. So.........a herbicide won't penetrate the leaves efficiently.

There's tons of articles on the subject if you take the time to check them out. Mostly backing up what I say, although I'm a bit simplistic in my explanation.

On top of this...................2-4-D will evaporate rapidly at higher temps.........it's volatile. High temps, high wind, etc..........................

I need to start using chemical for the first time in 30yrs because of equipment failures for almost 2-3 years running. I couldn't get out and cut the fields, and like a dummy, didn't allow them to be cut on shares. My bad, but it is what it is. So now, we're getting ready for an aggressive spray program on our Bluestem.

So, I'm extremely sensitive to mix rates, application rates, boom height, and temps. I need everything going in my favor. My Bluestem has been overrun by Blackberries.........and it's gonna be a fight(sigh). At 70, it might be a waste of time.......but I want to leave the place like I found it. K'kins can have a custom cutter come in when I'm gone.....it'll be a little income for her.

Remedy in the Fall. Crossbow now, or later in the growing season, for the huge stands. Sometimes I can't fall asleep at night, thinking about how my poor judgment ruined a fine hay meadow.

Edit: BIG CAVEAT HERE. I'm a grass guy, not a crop guy, so my thoughts probably don't apply to crops.
 
I have a weed that appears to be some sort of ivy, that is not in the least affected by 41% glyphosate mixed at 1.5 oz to the gallon. Should I just mix stronger?
Just off the top of my head, your mix is too weak. I think it should be 4-6 oz to the gallon for handheld sprayer. Read your label. You also may want try Crossbow, it is for woody species and works on tough weeds, too. I agree with the waxy leaves needing a surfactant to prevent spray run off. Mark.
 
That weed looks like it has waxy leaves.
Put some Dawn detergent in with the herbicide to make it soak in better.
I use Dawn all the time when I am spraying with glyphosate.
Methylated seed oil or crop oil as part of the mix would help as well. Or go old school and mix the glyphosate with diesel as a carrier. Although that might cost more than the correct adjuvant these days.
 
Methylated seed oil or crop oil as part of the mix would help as well. Or go old school and mix the glyphosate with diesel as a carrier. Although that might cost more than the correct adjuvant these days.
Yes
Soy oil and adjuvants play a big piece of the puzzle. Like said above, don't spray in the hot.
A mix of different chemicals will help. Don't just use one, good luck.
Take a part of the plant to your extension office, or fertilizer/crop supply office. GG
 
I like Samm’s comments.

As a crop guy, I will add slightly to his grass comments…..

If you are using a Liberty tolerant crop, or using Liberty to burn down a weedy area, this herbicide works best the hotter and more humid it is. So this herbicide you would be happy to see them out using it when it is ‘way too hot’ to be spraying other products. Liberty works pretty good on tough broadleaves, it will hurt grasses pretty much but not always kill them.

They have a new version of 2,4D, a choline based formulation that does not drift or gas off, as least not nearly as much as the older formulations do. If you want to use 2,4D around sensitive plants or in hot weather, it might be well worth lookin up versions of this for sensitive uses. I believe there are crop versions (Enlist 1) and grass versions (Freelexx I believe)of it. Like any 2,4D it melts down broadleaves but doesn’t hurt grasses.

Just to add to Samm’s good comments, not disagree with him at all.

Paul
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top