Tractor hauling on a Gooseneck trailer

I want to haul a 706 wide front tractor and a John Deere B. Which Tractor should be on the front of the trailer? I think the 706 is about 9,000 pounds and the John Deere B is about 3,200 pounds. I am new to gooseneck trailers, only pulled one a few times and then only one tractor. Thanks for the input.

Without more information,I want the B backed on the front,the drive the 706 on forward. I am guessing the rear wheels on the 706 will be behind the rear axle on the trailer.

If I can I center the rear axle of the tractor between the tandem axles of the trailer . So I would put the b on backwards then the bigger tractor forward .

cvphoto103351.jpg

cvphoto103352.png

504 I was thinking your way. I talked with a guy over the weekend about this. He told me the 706 should go on first? My concern is the 706 is the heavier tractor and would overload my truck. If I load the 706 on the back the heavy load is over the axels or behind the axels. I do not want to be tail heavy either? Thanks

Well on this subject i have lots of experience . Number 1 never assume that your 706 weighs in at 9000 lbs unless you have run it across the scales . A 706 gasser narrow ft. fast hitch with clam shell fenders 15.5x38 tires no fluid will be just under 8500 lbs . The 706 gasser i farmed with with a narrow ft and fast hitch flat tops 18.4 34's loaded with three sets of donuts added went over 12500 . Now as for a trailer ya had best have a good one with a 20000LB gvw and GOOD brakes and a HORSE up- ft to pull it with dual rear wheels . back when i was running to sales buying and reselling i ran and 88 Ford F350 with a 460 five speed with 4.10 gears . Truck and trailer EMPTY was 15000lbs . Yep i hauled two tractors SOMETIMES . Yep it was a load , BUT i have a lot of miles under my belt with semi's and hauling loads in excess of 200000 lbs . I know how to tie a load down , i know how to drive . And with electric brakes NEVER trust them as all it takes to go from decent brakes to no brakes is a broken wire or a short . Had i stayed at doing the buying and selling after running the wheels off a one ton i would have stepped up the Horse to something larger like a ton and a half , not somuch as for power but better brakes not somuch fuel mileage but a heavier truck . Leaning how and where to place the load is a huge factor as to how it will handle and pull . Load it wrong and it will drag like and ingot , load it wrong and handling will suffer . I hauled several loads that SHOULD have gone on semi's . But i hauled them . One was from a auction in western ill. to the east side of Ohio , one fully dressed 1066 with cab and duals and a fully dressed 806 D with cab and duals . Only had a lack of power once i got into the hills east of I 71 as i had to get down into second and allow more stopping room . When you set the truck up to pull a gooseneck ya want the ball to be ahead of the center of the rear axle i had mine set 6 inches ahead . I put just about 200000 miles on pulling my trailer .

IMHO, a lot depends on how long your trailer is & how much weight you want on the truck. I would like to see a lot of the total weight of the load on the truck. 75 to 80% of the load needs to be on the trailer's axels in my opinion. I think I'd drive the heavies tractor on & then back the lighter tractor on so the trailer doesn't become tail heavy. Your spotter can help you as you change the balance of the load. You should always have a spotter helping you when loading up a new to you trailer. They can see & tell you how the load is balancing as you are loading.

Depends on deck length and if the 706is wide ft. or narrow . And what your running for a truck ??????? And NO you do not want the 706 on first . You may wqant to pull the Deer on first then back the 706 on as this will keep the weight on the trailer more but also load the truck better , ya need weight on the drives but not to the point of over loading the axle . Usually a dual rear wheel axle is rated for around 8500 Lbs and yea ya can push it a little , ft axels are usually rated for 4500-5000 for one tons heavy 3/4 tons less Depending on trailer they can be 18000 tandems and up to 24000 lb . Also here now that you are stepping up into the Goose neck world you have arrived at the CDL level as you have now crossed into the realm of the magic number of 26000 Lbs Even hauling your own tonka toys As i found out when all this B/S of the CDL went into affect as i WAS going to let my Chauffeurs license drop so some of my FRIENDS would stop asking me to drive there semi's . I got stopped while hauling one 706 home and was informed that come midnight when the CDL went into affect that i could no longer pull my trailer or haul my own tractors . SOOOooo i had to run around and get my CDL , for me it was not a big deal as i only had to take the three tests and got that done in under 50 min. Some thing else to think about .

Thank You All for your comments. I am going to weigh the tractors to be exact and measure an few things. I will update at a later point. My truck is only a single axle GMC 2500 Duramax. Thanks

Where's a scale? Only place I know of is the CAT scale on the I90 over 50 miles away, and you're liable to get beaten or shot by an angry professional driver for taking too long while you try to explain to the pimple faced kid inside that you're not commercial and don't have a "number."

Ok, your truck is a Duramax 2500 (so single rear wheels). A gooseneck could be a 14K one or a 30K one. What is your trailer? 2 or 3 axles, single or dual wheels, deck length, gross rating and allowable load weight rating? They all come into play for a correct answer.

(quoted from post at 12:23:54 10/04/21) The quarries in my area leave the gate open so anyone can go in and weigh 24/7 on their scales.

The quarries in my area either don't have scales (i.e. gravel pit) or the place is gated and locked after hours, and they tell you to go pound sand if you try to bother them during business hours.

The feed mill's scale is in a building which is closed and locked at 5PM, and they too will run you off if you try to run your truck across their scale during business hours.

Quarries around here won't let a person weigh anything on the scale when open, let alone closed. Only place left to use a scale is the Co-op. When I ran one of the local pits I charged people a $1 to weigh a vehicle and fill out an official weight slip. Money went in a jar and paid for a real nice party at the end of each season.

When I was at the concrete plant people would come in all the time to get a weight,we didn't charge.We did love the vineyard grape guys they'd bring us a bunch of table grapes when they came.

Post back about what you have for a trailer and what it is rated for. Just that it is a gooseneck means nothing.

Some of our local Kwik Trip gas stations next to major highways have CAT scales.

(quoted from post at 15:27:19 10/04/21) Ok, your truck is a Duramax 2500 (so single rear wheels). A gooseneck could be a 14K one or a 30K one. What is your trailer? 2 or 3 axles, single or dual wheels, deck length, gross rating and allowable load weight rating? They all come into play for a correct answer.
Lets start at the beginning!
Your truck, most likely, has a towing capacity of less than 16,000 pounds. That includes the empty weight of the trailer, as well as the load! I had a 2004 Chev 3500 srw, and a 24' 7 ton gooseneck trailer, and always figured that a 10,000 pound load was my limit!
HTH, YMMV, Dave

always the lighter tractor up front , heavy tractor over the trailer axles. i have hauled lots of tractors with my 36 ft gooseneck and dont need a story book to explain things. its just common sense. balance the load.

(quoted from post at 17:19:34 10/04/21) Some of our local Kwik Trip gas stations next to major highways have CAT scales.

Some places like Kwik hop and Caseys convenience stores near me have CAT scales if they are close to a major highway.

Learned a good thing about CAT scales when my daughter moved from Arlington VA to KS for the Army and used a Penske rental truck. Army reimbursed on weight so she went over a CAT scale in Virginia then drove to KS but lost the scale ticket. She called the scale company and they queried their database with the location she weighed at and the date and approximate time and while she was still on the phone they emailed her a duplicate ticket. Nice service and could come in handy.

Well I know that is not correct for your truck. I have the same 2500 duramax. With that 706 on the front your springs will not handle that weight ! How some people come up with stuff I dont know.

I forgot the exact number but Cat Scales keeps a copy of every scale ticket for years.
You give them the location time and truck number from a scale ticket 5 years ago or more and they can send you a copy.
They will also go to court with you if you get a overweight ticket.
But that very seldom happens.
The state scale stops you and you just show them your Cat scale ticket and they let you go.
The state DOT knows that giving you a ticket will never hold up in court so why bother.

(quoted from post at 19:03:06 10/04/21) always the lighter tractor up front , heavy tractor over the trailer axles. i have hauled lots of tractors with my 36 ft gooseneck and dont need a story book to explain things. its just common sense. balance the load.

Rustred, you give information that you can't possibly know is correct because you don't have adequate information.

(quoted from post at 07:31:45 10/05/21) What is to stop someone from adding weight

Nothing.
In fact its common.
150 gallons of fuel is enough to be the differance in no ticket and a over weight ticket.

Just curious John.

Do they give you any leeway on a ticket when it comes to snow, ice, mud or is it up to the driver to allow for that?

I once hauled a load to a landfill that charged by weight.
Scale at entrance and exit.
It was a rainy sloppy day.
When I was leaving I handed the scale attendant my in slip and he said it's not right but I can't charge you because with all the mud on your truck you weigh more than when you came in.

I think I have enough information if he is trying to haul 2
tractors. They sure will not fit on a 20 trailer. Plus from every
gooseneck trailer I have been around the axles are close to
the rear of the trailer. Not in the middle. He asked obvious
questions and I gave his answer. Look what vet said also.
Same as me !

Length of trailer will certainly affect loading some though if a shorter one like only 20-25 FT. I would back the Deere on first with the narrow front swung off to the side then drive the 706 right up beside the front of the other this will adjust the weight such you can move the 706 to get the ride,pull and weight set. I have been loading anything you can think of on semi's for years. Loading 6 tractors on a stepdeck at a time several times with pictures to prove it. And ask anybody at the Mac bridge crossing they saw me doing it for a decade 4 loads per year. Also hauling similar to TV just not as heavy.

(quoted from post at 22:25:57 10/05/21) I think I have enough information if he is trying to haul 2
tractors. They sure will not fit on a 20 trailer. Plus from every
gooseneck trailer I have been around the axles are close to
the rear of the trailer. Not in the middle. He asked obvious
questions and I gave his answer. Look what vet said also.
Same as me !

Rustred, I thought of you Thursday when I was pulling up to an intersection a truck went by on the main road pulling a gooseneck that had the axles just a little back of the center of the deck.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back