tractor/planter hookup

old bones

I know this doesn't pertain to the older tractors, but need some advice on a non-antique.
I traded my old 8 row 7000 JD planter in on a 12 row 7300 JD planter. I am using a JD 8100 w/fwa to pull it. I have 3 SCV's on this tractor.
Since this is a mounted planter, I need, in addition to the 3 point lift, hydraulics for (a)lift assist, (b) markers, (c) folding, and (d) the vac motor.
My question is- which is a better way to run the lift assist wheels? My choices, as far as I know, are:
(1) use one of the SCV's and dedicate it to lift assist, or
(2) plumb a coupler into the 3 point circuit so that when I lift the 3 point the lift assist will activate with the 3 point.
If I dedicate an SCV to lift assist, dedicate an SCV for the vac motor, I would probably have to use the remaining SCV for folding and markers, switching as needed.
If I hook the lift assist with 3 point, I assume that the 3 point will have priority over the lift assist- front raising before the back when lifting, and front lowering before the back when lowering. Right? Wrong?

I'd appreciate knowing how you did yours and any pointers.
Thanks, old bones

btw- I've pretty much been away from the old 'puter for a year or 2. Too much going on. Didn't there used to be a forum for "Modern Tractors"? I could very well be wrong, but I thought I saw that a few years ago.

I forgot to mention that the lift assist cylinders are one way cylinders, if that make any difference. old bones

one other option that you have is to add an additional scv on to the tractor, so that it would have 4 scvs instead of 3.

or you could get a fassi valve. This would allow you to select a certain function to operate without hooking and unhooking hoses by the flick of a toggle switch that controls the solenoid on the fassi vavle.

if you plumbed a coupler into the three point circut, the oil would be sent to all cylinders at the same time, but the return oil from the 2 way cylinders on the planters lift assist wheels would be aproblem. you may be able to hav the oil return to sump, but you may run out of oil when you need to lift.

or you could install a power beyond on to the tractor to run the vac motor, your tractor may already have this on it. basically the vac motor would run when ever the tractor is runnig, and ould be adjusted by a needle valve installed on the pressure line going to the vac motor.

I would suggest you go talk to the John deere dealer that you frequent about this. I would talk to the service manager or one of the service techs, and they should be able to help you with your questions, and lead you in the right direction.

Jared

if the lift assist cylinders are one way, then the three point lift cylinders and the lift assist cylinders would all recieve pressure oil at the same time in theory, I do not know if it would work for sure or not. one way to find out is to try it and see what happens.

Jared

You could get a Fasse brand valve which will plug into one outlet and it has 2 outlets now giving you 4 outlets. The outlets on the Fasse valve are selectable by toggle switch. You could hook the fold and markers to the Fasse, lift to one outlet and fan to another. This is probably the simplest for you. Doc

If its a mounted planter, its not a 7000, its probably 7100 with lift assist wheels.

The standard back when it was new was to take a plug out of the back of the three point cylinder that was exposed on those vintage tractors and hook the lift assist cylinder hoses there. Should be covered in the 7100 manual. I don't know if I have one for 8 row or not. I do have some op manuals and parts books for 7100 to compare with 7000.

Gerald J.

If you decide to go with the fasse valve, email me. I have one that I got on a tractor that I do not need and will sell for 1/2 price of a new one.

I don't see why you wouldn't just 'T' into the lift cylinder line unless there's some reason you'd want to keep the assist wheels off the ground... but if they're single acting you couldn't anyway.
'T' the lift cylinder. Quick, easy, effective.

Rod

I'd go with a power beyond outlet to run the vac motor. Deere sells a kit for this on these tractors and I would suggest getting this rather than trying to make one yourself. Everything you need to do this is in the kit, including the bracket that mounts the vac control right up behind the cab so you can open the back window and easily reach the valve for adjustment. I have this on my 7410 tractor for running the vac motor and it works great.

I'd bite the bullet and buy a PTO pump for the vaccuum to leave all 3 SCVs free. That'll keep the vaccuum running consistantly, won't overtax the pump on the tractor, and I think anything else you'll just find frustrating all the time.

Who would have thought 10 years ago that planters would be the reason we need so many SCV's? Here's what I know: plumbing with the three-point isn't highly recommended by Deere; can be done, but they don't like to do it. So that leaves adding a 4th SCV, adding power beyond to run the vac, or adding a PTO pump. The PTO pump will work fine, but you have to keep the RPM's up in PTO range to have constant hydraulic flow to keep the vac pressure the same at all times, which is HIGHLY important. Your operation may be different, but we don't need to have our tractors revved up that high (RPM's) to plant, and I wouldn't think you should either to pull a 12 row with an 8100. So we're down to the 4th SCV or power beyond. Given these are about "equal" performance-wise, the power beyond is less expensive. If you don't need the 4th SCV for anything else, I'd go with the power beyond. If you think you many need it for a sprayer or blade or loader or whatever in the future, I'd get the 4th SCV. Sorry for the long post. Hope that helps answer your question. Josh

I am a little behind the curve on new stuff, so....

How does power assist lifting work, anyhow? If the lift wheels are run by a hyd lever, how does one coordinate using the 3pt & the lift wheels at the same time?

Just haven't been around such a setup in my small little world.

--->Paul

My temptation would be to hook into the three point.

Another option that oddly enough hasn"t been mentioned. Hook the lift assist into the lift side of the marker circuit. Lots of planters were this way from the factory. I know my 12 row deere 7000 is like that. And before I get flamed that it should be a cable mine is a front fold.

JM2CW

jt

Sorry when I mentioned that my 7000 is like that I forgot to say that the markers are hooked into the regular lift circuit.

I also had a 500 cyclo that was plumbed with the markers on the lift assist circuit.

jt

Thanks for all the info/ideas.
I bought the planter from a Deere dealer, just not my local dealer. The local didn't have any planters smaller than a 16 row, and all of his were either less than 3 years old, or older than the one I traded off. The newer ones are out of my price range, and bigger than I need.
The local dealer said his guys have no experience with mounted planters (every time I walk into his shop area, I feel like an old codger- young fellers- but they do top notch work). He isn't bitter about me buying somewhere else, he just couldn't find one for me.
Again, Thanks
old bones

I work for a Deere dealer, and usually when a customer has this situation, they use the #1 hydraulics for the lift assist and add power beyond for the hydraulic motor. I don't know the cost of a power beyond, but it may be more convenient then a Fasse valve. Also, with power beyond, you can have a zero pressure return if you have it go back to the sump. Depending on the planter motor setup, pressure on the return side can blow out the motor seals. Your planter should already have the valve inline for adjusting flow to the motor.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back