Tractor test drives

David G

I went to St. Joe yesterday and looked at used tractors.

The NH 2016 T4.90 was the one I was wanting, so drove that first. This tractor did have DEF, 600 hours and came off a lease. I really liked the fit of this tractor, seemed real beefy and controls were conveniently mounted. The range shifter worked real hard, and ended up locked in one gear and not going into park at end of ride. The dealer said his son had one and the plastic shift guides had failed and needed replacing, he was going to investigate this. The tractor would go 24MPH in road gear, so think it had the high road gear option. It was actually a little scary at first.

I drove a 2017 JD 5090M, also with DEF and 700 hours. It was quieter than the NH, and the controls felt like they had less wear than the NH, but the shuttle felt like it binded. This tractor had a 20 MPH road gear, which disapointed me after the NH with 24 MPH. It did not feel as beefy as the NH but operated smoother. This tractor was 15K more than the NH, I know they resell better, but 15K is hard to swallow. I did hit a bump on the road, it popped me up with my head hitting the sun roof bracket and leaving a cut in my head.

All in all, I preferred the NH.

Please comment on your green/blue findings.

These tractors can come with different loader models and capacities, so need to watch this carefully.

The NH had the larger 665 loader, did not remember the one on JD.

Wow, 600 hrs. and the shift guides are already screwed up. In all likely hood your going to keep this tractor forever so what's the difference if JD. is worth more when you sell...your not selling. Sounds like there are plus and minus for both. I prefer the NH. but that's just me.

I’d leave the fiat where you found it seen quite a few of them with transmission issues in prerty new tractors. Just loaded an engine with one the other day with 1500 hours and the only gears that worked was one range

IF you are looking at that new of blue, you might as well go look at the Red dealer too.. seeings as they are the same as the blue..

I’d leave them no matter the color if the transmission is at all questionable. The valtra i posted about the other day a friend paid 9000$ for but now has a 9000$ paper weight

That is why I wouldn't buy any of the newer tractors way too costly to repair.If he wants speed and a great trans need to buy a Fendt will run 45+ MPH has the best CVT trans. in the business and could get one new decked out pretty good with a loader for around $500,000.

Some years back, i had a CIH 95 made in Turkey by Fiat. It was pre-DEF and simple with the controls which i liked, but it had things go wrong. It wouldn't keep freon in the air conditioner- hard when round baling hay in the summer. PTO wouldn't run - repairs were costly. When i decided to replace my Kubota 7040 due to it being too light for regular farm work, looked at New Holland. It was made in Turkey and looked like the CIH. Maybe the 95 was simply a lemon, but didn't want to take a chance. The John Deere salesperson gave such a good deal and it is a super tractor. Heavy duty for its horsepower. Keep looking-try to find a JD that is coming off lease. Don't get the real big snow bucket on the loader. the standard bucket fits it real well and plenty of capacity.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back