Tractors loosing value?

Marty Z

Member
Is it just me or are tractors bringing less money than they used to? I'm thinking that it is related to fuel cost .
It costs me about $100 just to take my 4 to the local show.
I have a couple of others that I would like to sell in the spring but may not be worth selling with the prices I have been seeing.
Must be 20-30 tractors listed each day with not many selling. There must be others out there like me trying to thin out the herd.
Marty Z
 
It appears to me antique Deeres are still going up or at least are stable. Cant vouch for the other brands. The ads on this site and others indicate higher asking prices but you dont know if or what they sell for. In Wis we dont have a single good auction listed at this time with any antique tractors. Maybe its too early and things will kick loose when the weather warms up, right now we got record snow fall this year.
 
It always seems without fail that if I'm selling it goes too cheap !

I have seen and heard of some things still bringing crazy high prices at auctions. Auctions are CRAZY !
 
I was buying Deere As, Bs. Ls, GPs Hs, etc. for $50 to $150 each around 30 years ago. I don't see them that near that cheap anymore, so I wouldn't say they've gone down.

And with more modern stuff - especially small crawlers and backhoes late 50s to late 60s - prices have been going up everywhere I look.

Smaller garden tractors late 1930s to late 1950s - also way up anwhere I look.
 
Those were the days.

'53 60 my father could have had for 200 bucks 40 years ago sold for 3000 the other day.
 
That's usually how it goes we think something is worth more than it is until we get one to sell. We soon realize that other sellers were asking an inflated price.

Many tractor sales are a product of collusion among sellers. Buyers only pay the price because they know all the other sellers are asking the same price. If we gathered the sellers and the product at an auction I think we would see much lower prices.


I think sometimes we think something is worth more than it actually is because we see advertised prices above market value. Remember that market value is what something is actually sold for, not the asked price. Even if some crazy lists his late B for $4,900 even if he has that invested we all know it is still worth less than $2,000.

I have an unstyled A with over $10,000. The most I could ever hope to get out of it would be $3,500.

When trading tractors in real dollars the prices are usually less than they seem. If you dont believe it just put your tractor on e-bay with no reserve. It's easy to find market value there.
 
Unless it has live pto,a true 3 point hitch and live remote hydraulics plus power steering. The price is going to fall. If the tractor will mount a practical loader, the value increases.
Collectors,hobby farmers and rural estate owners are the only ones keeping the prices of old iron up.
So a tractor that is usable with the live pto, three point hitch and live remote hydraulics. It will maintain some value.
The lettered tractors and no option numbered series are tomorrows scrap metal.
 
I just sold a '51 John Deere model A that I bought 2 years ago and made $700 on the old girl. Didn't do much to her but new fluids, seat and lights.
 
I bid on 5 new valves and a head gasket for an unstyled G. These items went for close to $300.00. Needless to say, I didn't get them.
With that in mind, it doesn't appear that they are falling in value.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top