Trailer brake contolers

TimWafer

I need a new electric brake controller in my 94 Dodge diesel. Years ago I had several hand held controllers in all my trucks and they just worked so much better that any of these pure automatic devices they have now as far as Im concerned. It would work automatically if you wanted but I always just held it in my right hand and could operate the manual trigger with my pinky finger. I could shift and work the trailer brakes with no problem.You could operated the trailer brakes without necessarily activating the truck brakes if needed. Unfortunately they all eventually wore out and disappeared. I have tried a half dozen new fangeled ones since but everyone has been a disappointment. Nothing beats manual operation in my book.
Does anyone still make any controllers like this?

I don't think any of the old style are still available.

Not sure if they don't meet DOT rules or just don't play well with ABS, but
since everything is now ABS, they're just not used.

There s just no way that a manual controller is better than a properly set modern controller. Properly set being the key. When set right, you forget the trailer is back there. Try a good quality conroller, if needed have someone else set it up for you. It will work and work wel. They donmt have to be expensive either. I think the Prodigy 2 is $100, it works great. Simple but effective.

This post was edited by MJMJ on 10/28/2022 at 12:47 pm.

There s just no way that a manual controller is better than a properly set modern controller. Properly set being the key. When set right, you forget the trailer is back there.

I have a Tekonsha 90160 Primus IQ Electronic Brake Control.
It is automatic and you can manually apply brakes.
The manual slide is on the right side.
cvphoto139325.jpg

I bought mine in 2007.
It is not a hand held unit.
It can be programmed for up to 3 axles.
Has digital readout.
I like mine..
I can easily adjust brake bias for the size of the load.
Blue adjustment for bias is on the left side.

I have set my own controllers up and helped several others set theirs up. The key is to follow the instructions, so it is truly set up correctly. I know, I don't like instructions either, but the results are worth the effort. It seems like different brands and models have different requirements for setup.
Tim in OR

I respectively have to disagree on that, at least as far as Im concerned. Ive tried several of the modern versions and had so called experts set them up as well as myself. No comparison as far as Im concerned. Maybe for a lightly loaded trailer its ok but not for a heavy load. I always felt much more comfortable using manual control. I prefer using the trailer brakes first in most cases.

Not sure what weight is considered light, but I pull a very front heavy 10k+ lb fifthwheel camper with a 3/4 ton truck quite a bit and I forget its back there. And we re in some really hilly country. Now I have used another cheaper controller and it was horrible, I would have been safer with no trailer brakes. But once I bought a Prodigy 2 controller it was a whole new world. You can have the trailer brake before the vehicle if you prefer it that way. Lots of options but its still pretty basic and simple.

(quoted from post at 13:46:29 10/28/22)
I respectively have to disagree on that, at least as far as Im concerned. Ive tried several of the modern versions and had so called experts set them up as well as myself. No comparison as far as Im concerned. Maybe for a lightly loaded trailer its ok but not for a heavy load. I always felt much more comfortable using manual control. I prefer using the trailer brakes first in most cases.
agree with you. I looked for a manual controller when I sold the 96 F-250 and moved the a 65 F-250. From an automotive technician stand point I can see how it would effect RABS. I have not tested this theory. From the owner of Legott Trailers in Robinson, Texas point of view the old brake line fees controllers would wear in the "brake tap" area of the rheostat. Made sense with the in and around traffic.

EDIT: This is the same brand that was used in my other trucks. Operates like the other. One dial is how much voltage the other is how aggressive voltage comes to peak.

mvphoto98913.jpg

mvphoto98914.jpg

This post was edited by 8NChris on 10/28/2022 at 02:58 pm.

Used these on trucks at work and I thought they were great. In traffic I would turn up the gain so if I had to hit the brakes because someone cut into my lane, the trailer would pull that truck back.

As others have said prodigy 2 works great for me.I use a medium duty air brake dump
truck pulling a 21,500 backhoe on a 8000 pound electric brake trailer. Prodigy has an
inertia system that applies the trailer brakes more as needed kinda like surge brakes

It seems several states have laws that require all brakes to be applied by a 'single control' (meaning the brake pedal). Manufacturers don't want to be selling a product that isn't legal in fifty states, particularly if there's little or no demand for it.

If you're insistent on only applying the trailer brakes manually, just turn the controller gain all the way down. Personally, that's not something I would do, but it's not illegal.
Trailer brake requirements by state

Dont misunderstand me. The controllers I had were set up to work automatically as well. But if you chose to use the manual hand held trigger it would override the automatic control and apply the brakes manually however you wanted.
To be honest I have on very rare occasion pulled trailers that were heavier than legal limits. Commonly they are 14000 or so lbs loaded though. The trailer is rated for 18000 and the brakes on it work great. With the manual controller in my hand I never feared that I couldn't stop in most any panic situation. Never had that confidence with any of the pure automatic controllers. The trailer could drag that truck to a stop if it had no brakes. I have a prodigy in my other truck now but just dont like it. The ones mounted to the dash with manual control are OK unless you are downshifting at the same time. My trucks are manual trannys. I dont have anti-lock brakes on any of my trucks anymore. Dont trust them anymore either. I blame them for the only accident Ive had in the last 35 years. In my car they seem to work fine but they never could get them to work correctly in my trucks from day one when they were new.

Tim I agree with You 100%. I have sold and installed brake controls for over 35 years and I have sold Dozens and dozens of Kelsey Hayes (now
Hayes) controllers with the phone cord style remote button. I still have one in my Dodge 3500. Some time back They decided to quit
manufacturing them. I called the factory and threw a fit on them telling them that I still had customers that wanted to buy them. All I got
was now that the vehicle manufacturers were installing controllers on the new trucks from the factory they were dropping some of the ones
that were not selling as well. I have not been able to find another one that makes them. Manufacturers don't listen to customers needs, they
make what they want and try to shove it down your throat.

They are smart controllers too.
I had a wire in the trailer frame shorted to ground.
The controller sent me a code. No damage to the controller, no blown fuse.
If I don't see the letter C I know the trailer isn't connected..
Like you said, you can adjust bias to pull hard.

(quoted from post at 08:53:11 10/29/22) Tim I agree with You 100%. I have sold and installed brake controls for over 35 years and I have sold Dozens and dozens of Kelsey Hayes (now
Hayes) controllers with the phone cord style remote button. I still have one in my Dodge 3500. Some time back They decided to quit
manufacturing them. I called the factory and threw a fit on them telling them that I still had customers that wanted to buy them. All I got
was now that the vehicle manufacturers were installing controllers on the new trucks from the factory they were dropping some of the ones
that were not selling as well. I have not been able to find another one that makes them. Manufacturers don't listen to customers needs, they
make what they want and try to shove it down your throat.
They stay in business by making what most people want to buy. Most people simply don t want or can t legally use a manual brake controller. They can t keep making a model just because one person called and complained about it. That shouldn t be too hard to understand.

> If you're insistent on only applying the trailer brakes manually, just turn the controller gain all the way down.

On second thought, that won't work. Never mind.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back