Trailer question

JimDRIl

Gonna be moving soon, (I hope, if the farm sells), anyhow I'm thinking of getting a 5 x 8 trailer to tow behind my old '89 Toyota pickup. it has a ball mounted in the bumper. Are these still legal? I haven't towed anything in 21 years. I would like to haul somethings like my power tools and rider rather than having movers do it. I am thinking of a trailer at TSC with a loading ramp with a wood floor. The specs say 1450 payload and gvwr 2000 lb. Any problems with this? Thanks

I have one of the TSC 5x8"s with with 18" sides for hauling compost. I"ve hauled my JD X300 and Honda ATV with no issues. Carryon only rates it for 55 MPH if that"s a problem

If they're illegal, then every landscaper around here named Raoul or Jose is illegal. Oh, wait a minute- never mind. Forget I ever posted.

We got a 6 X 12 when we were dealing with a container of furniture from India and building a house (re furnishings into and out of storage and trips to IKEA). Probably one of the best $3500 I ever spent.

I would suggest looking at dealers also instead of TSC, Northern tool, etc. We got ours at a dealer. Wanted T-rail and tie downs. Dealer installed them for pretty much nothing and picked up the trailer later the same day. I rarely use the floor tie downs but pretty much everything is tied to the wall via the T-rail.

jm2cw

jt

I have a 1989 Toyota 2wheel drive, the stock bumper uses the same bolts as a receiver hitch. The chrome part is tin but the frame under it is rated for 500# tough weight, just like a receiver hitch.
I have pulled loads as big as 12,000# gross weight with the equalizer hitch.
I had to park mine when the frame rusted out and the rear end had nothing to fasten too.

Enclosed an eight by ten snowmobile trailer I had and loaded all my tools in it when I moved to another place. Had it hooked to my Datsun diesel pickup. Had a hard time pulling it, thought it was kind of funny because it didn't look like there was that much in the trailer. Had to pass a scale house so I stopped and pulled on the scale and unhooked the trailer. The trailer weighted three hundred eighty five pounds empty. I went in and weighted it expecting to see something like a thousand pounds. No wonder it pulled hard, it totaled out at four thousand two hundred pounds!

Trailer ball mounted on a step pumper is still legal. One that clamps to a regular bumper is not. The bumper will be marked as to maximum load and tongue weight. At that age though, check both the bumper and the frame for rust. Toyota seems to be getting a bad reputation for rust.

Two comments

1. Find a used frame hitch if you can. Then leave the ball on all times for easily stepping on to get in the bed and for people who want to run into the back of you.
2. I have a 5' x 10' trailer from TSC but it has 15" tires on it and it pulls real easy. Don't get anything with 12" tires.

If that is all your going to haul wouldn't you be farther ahead to rent a small u-haul inclosed truck. If you take the cost of trailer ,plates,taxes and what ever has to be done to truck. If you move and run into bad weather you might have to buy a tarp you might be farther ahead renting.

Thanks, I'm certainly going to give the frame a good going over for rust. I did put on a new bumper a few years ago.

The weight rating of the bumper should be stamped into it somewhere.

Generally they're rated for around 300lb tongue weight and 3000lb trailer weight.

That will be fine for the little TSC 5x8 as long as you don't overload the trailer or load it too heavily on the front.

You may find that the bumper is too high, though, depending on the truck you have. The trailer should ride level or slightly nose-down for best stability.

Finding a frame hitch for an '89 could be tough, and will probably cost a good chunk of what the truck is worth. You will also need to drill the frame.

Do check for RUST, Toyota even had a recll for frames rusting out. If no rust you are good to go with that load.
I have a Tacoma and haul a 6X10 all the time.

Your Yota bumper will pull all your yota wants,,, BUT the bumper will fold up under the truck if you have to stop fast....

http://www.thehitchstore.com/class-iii-trailer-hitch-receiver-2-inch-13086-p-689.html
one place to get a no drill hitch
good luck
Ron

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back