Transmission oil?

Hey guys My 1959 730 is almost ready for the field but I would like to change the transmission lubricant prior to that. The book says to use SAE 90 weight oil, this is not gear lube this is oil correct? The only oil I know of that is 90 weight is gear lube. Is what they are referring to gear lube or is it a straight 90 weight oil? The next question id the manual says the transmission should hold approx. 8 gallons and then I am supposed to add another 1.5 quarts through the 2nd gear reduction cover? The manual I have is great in some sections but leaves me with questions such as this in others, any clarification on the lubricant types would sure be helpful.

Thanks much!
Karl

Original oil was sae 90 and GL-1 . It will ruin the PTO clutch and PTO brake if the seal fails .
Sae 50 motor oil is thicker than Sae 90 gear oil BUT is rated at an improved GL-4 . Also the motor oil will not ruin the PTO clutch and brake fibres . If the PTO seal fails .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back