Troybilt tiller.

Greenfrog

I have a troybilt tiller, Colt model, purchased in 2018. Works fine. I have always wondered what brand of engine is in it and what horse power. Operators book say nothing about either. Any ideas? Looks like those HF/ Honda clone type. Always starts good. Gas tank could be larger.
has plenty of power. I run it on very low throttle or it goes too fast!

It's been my observation that there are a lot of companies producing that type of engine. Yes, it looks very similar to a Honda GX series and the Predator series. Could be made by one of them or any number of other Chinese suppliers. A lot of parts are interchangeable too.

TroyBilt and MTD worked together to develop those engines. When they had everything worked out to mass produce them they went to China to have them produced.
Toro did the same. Teamed up with MTD to develop and produce a cheap engine in China for mowers in order to be able to sell to Walmart.

Edited to add... Small Lawn equipment engines have not been advertised with horse power ratings for many many years.

Last edited:
Your engine is probably a Loncin. It is pretty much a Chinese copy of a similar size Honda. But with enough differences you have to go back to Troybilt or MTD for parts. (Or roll the dice and buy off the internet, if you prefer.)
Keep in mind MTD owns Troybilt, and Toro, as well as many other lawn equipment brand names.
Toro has a history of wanting to be the "go-to" source for engine parts for their equipement. Back in the day, they had Tecumseh engines when almost nobody else had them. They even used some Subaru engines, and some Onan engines when almost nobody else had them. They are the only mfg I know of who regularly include engine parts drawings in their mower parts books.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back