True grit, the farmer, his leg, and a pocket knife.

How about now? Can ya hear me now? help.......

I do not even own a cell phone. Or carry a pocket knife these days.

Trapped Nebraska farmer cuts off leg with pen knife

The interior of the auger is shaped like a screw and twists to pull up grain
A Nebraska farmer has sawed off his own leg with a pen knife after becoming trapped in farming equipment.

Kurt Kaser, 63, was moving grain from one silo to another when he was pulled into an auger - a tube with an interior shaped like a screw.

He was forced to cut off his lower leg with a 3in (7.6cm) pen knife and crawl to the nearest phone for help.

The farmer spent weeks in hospital and rehabilitation before returning home to Pender near the Iowa border on Friday.

"I didn't have no other choice," Mr Kaser told broadcaster ABC News.

Image Copyright @bill_hutchinson@BILL_HUTCHINSON
The farmer was working alone on his 1,500-acre (607-hectare) property on 19 April when the accident occurred.

Unable to find his phone to call for help, Mr Kaser watched as the machine tore his foot off and mangled his lower leg as it pulled him
further inside.

The farmer then took out his pen knife and cut off what remained of his limb below the knee.

"The bone stuck out down to my ankle," told Omaha World-Herald. "That's what I was hanging onto as I was trying to get myself out."

Once free, Mr Kaser crawled hundreds of feet to the nearest phone and called his son, who picked him up and drove him into town. He was then
flown to the state capital Lincoln for treatment.

Mr Kaser said he had removed a safety covering at the end of the auger in the winter to make the equipment fit under a grain bin, and told
ABC News he was "kind of disappointed in myself that I didn't think of fixing that thing".

"But that's why they call it accidents I guess."
Trapped Nebraska farmer cuts off leg with pen knife

My uncle Huey had to cut off his arm
which was caught in a corn picker.
This happened many years back in Ariton, Al.
Incredible story.

Nearly the same thing happened across the road from me. last fall.Hired man was cleaning out a big storage bin and slipped when he tries to cross over the unloading auger. It tore up his leg from thy to toes, but fortunately he was not working alone and the auger was turned off and EMT people arrived in mins. He is still working their.
Loren

I knew a fellow who got his pants leg caught by a cotter pin sticking out of a sprocket on an old combine. He was hanging on to the rail around the operator's platform (no cab) with both hands, looking at the ignition switch less than a foot away, but afraid to turn loose and reach for it. Luckily he was wearing an old pair of pants, which easily gave way, and were completely stripped off of his body, along with his underwear. He went home wearing nothing below the waist except his boots and socks. The waist band of the pants was still around his waist, with the belt still threaded through the loops. He was extremely sore, had one heck of a friction burn, though!

I really don't think I'd be able to do that to myself. Hope I'm never in the position to find out.

Wife has told the story of a woman who was working at a fast food place. She had fairly long hair that happened to get caught up in.....either a mixer or a shake machine. The machine ended up scalping her. She survived, but seems I remember the wife saying that the woman would have a life full of pain, not to mention the mental and emotional aspects.

we had a guy jump in a hay press and did not turn it off it sensed weight and turned on and crushed him to death

I knew a guy who cut his fingers off with a jack knife to get out of a husking bed on a corn picker.

Loren, I know Jake that saved him and called 911. I asked how it happened it was the floor the auger was catching on. When the kid went over to see what was wrong the auger came free and went up his leg. Lucky Jake was there 2 years ago he was milking his own cows in Westford.

Back 8-10 years ago a guy here in Vermont was logging alone in the woods and had a tree end up pinning one leg. The temperature was too cold to survive overnight in the woods, so he cut off his leg with his pocket knife. He lived.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back