Truly Laughable

Lou from Wi.

Don't you just love it when you go to order things online that weighs as much as a pound of air and the shipping is three times as much as the product.

We spent 3 days looking for cartridge holders to store our reloads in (50 loaded cartridges). The shell holders weigh next to nothing. 3 weeks ago they were being shipped without freight charges.
The boxes cost $3.75 each and $17.95 for shipping.We finally found a company that would ship them for $5.95 S/H, still unreasonable, but we ordered them. They should be here Friday. Must not be shipped by weight anymore,but size that they are charging for. Any way this brings us up to par for what we have on hand so far. JMHO,

Also found a good place to order 300 Win mag brass,and also ordered some 200 gr bullets and found Nosler has some 220 grain which is on order for next month.I am also looking at a 416 Remington Magnum, have to be able to stop those dangerous whitetail any how.lol. Find out if the guy will deal or not. Next will be a scope that can handle the recoil and some see thru mounts for the rifle,so I can use the iron sights for close up and scope for longer shots.
LOU

I always get a laugh out of people who order something because it is cheaper then buying it in town just to get it and by the time they payed shipping it cost them half again as much as the same thing in the store a mile away but yet they believe they have saved them self's some $$

Hi Lou, Good to hear from you. It sounds likes your doing good. Looking forward to seeing your garden pictures and yours and Victors projects this year.
Regards Tony

They don't live in our town. We bought the last one they had in stock, called all over no one handled them that big (cartridges). So the only alternative was over the internet,which we frequent often,just for that reason.If I had my choice, I wouldn't buy anything in our local town.lol.
LOU

Last fall I looked at ordering a foam earpiece and mic cover set for my Blue Parrott blue tooth. The cover set weighs all of 2oz, maybe less. The shipping would have been $32.00 so I said to heck with that baloney and didn't order it. I thought about it overnight, got back on the internet and found another company that sold the set for the same retail price but had a $7.00 shipping price tag. I forget the price of the cover set but it was about the same as the shipping price. Like Rich said, we can usually buy locally for the same price or less after we figure the shipping, and we help our local small businessman but this item won't be found locally. Jim

Tony Vidlak,
We're doing good,except for the snow and cold weather.It's now -8 and falling, seems we get the snow plowed out one day,with no snow chance, but the next day we get 2-4 more inches and cold.

We could show our pictures of the reloading supplies,boxes upon boxes. We scrounged over 4k rounds of 22 jacketed ammo. Should keep us plinking for a while.lol.

I truly thought about playing "baby,Its cold outside," but I don't have my black cowboy hat,or harmonica.lol.

Projects are- remodel bath,close in tractor shed, clear some more area for orchard.

I have a question for you, do you know anyone who grows garlic? Seed Magazines are way too high for prices. I can buy it cheaper in Rice Lake for bulbs,than the ones that show up in seed catalogs.
I was wondering how many pieces of garlic you get off of each plant? Hope you family is doing good, and I'll bet you are looking forward to motorcycle time.
Regards,
LOU

fixerupper,
Thats our problem,"not finding it locally". We found 1 over in Rice Lake, bought it, but they won't order any more for a couple of months later. Our little city is so screwed up,we don't have a place that handles reloading supplies, have to drive 44 miles one way to buy them,if they have them in stock. So internet is better for us, saves gas and fuel emissions, so we are going green.lol.
We always call ahead to see if they are in stock before we go over anyway.Most of the time answer is "no", so that's why the computer is so helpful.
Regards,
LOU

Have you checked out Midway Arms? Midsouth shooters supply? Natchez?

I am lucky cause I just live 25 miles from Midway and I can pick it up on site with no shipping or handling.

Gene

I know what you mean about the shipping. I ordered 2 small steel bushings that were less than $3 for the pair. When I went to pick them up at the store the shipping was a little over $6. The store owner apologized, but he said everything they send is UPS. They had shipped them UPS, when they could have put them in an envelope and sent them for 44 cents. They were less than 1 oz.

Come to think of it, the first internet place I looked at for the Bluetooth covers was going to ship UPS. The second place which is the place I ordered from, shipped parcel post in an envelope. Jim

S&H Shipping and handling

Shipping is box, packing material, wages for shipping clerk and handling is my extra profit because you will pay it. LOL

At the business I work at, we ship packages out on UPS and Fed Ex every day. When I started 30 years ago a 1 pound package (minimum ups weight) cost about $4.00 to nearby locations. More $$$ the farther away you get. Today that same package costs a minimum of $8.00 or so. So depending on how far away your stuff was shipped from, the shipping charges are reasonable. The postal service is usually somewhat less, but still not free. to be honest, I don"t understand how the companies that offer free shipping make it work, unless they"re making enough on the product already to cover it.

Jeff,
The Co. we were ordering from was located in Columbia,Missouri. They wanted close to triple the cost of the part, around $19.00 just S&H, not including part. The place we ordered from is located in Utah,and S&H was just $5.95. We're in Wi. so Mo is closer than Utah. Both are UPS delivered.

The companies shipping and Handling gets a heck of a discount.

If memory serves me right, as a Division Mgr at Sears, we were encouraged to ship UPS and FedEx, rather than Post Office. We were asked to ship brass washers (an example) UPS rather than putting washers in an envelope and ship mail.The more we shipped UPS, the cheaper the rate we got it. We could get a rate shipment that could equal free shipping for us (SEARS) by using UPS rather than mail.The drawback would be if the washers went 2 blocks down the street, UPS would route the package to Chicago distribution center, then reship it back to Anderson, Ind. A 2 day wait. Mail could deliver it cheaper with next day local delivery, as opposed to UPS. The company that uses UPS makes money and the customer suffers the high cost and late deliveries, unless you wish to pay for overnight delivery,(another higher cost) overnight delivery is a promise they don't keep,even if they live next door.lol. You ( the customer) are paying for your own tracking,which is figured in on UPS charges.It's all about the money, they want more from you.Not ranting at you,just what I know has happened from experience.
LOU

GeneMO,
We did try Midway USA, they were the ones with the triple cost for S&H. We usually deal with them and Natchez,but we watch the S&H costs. This time we ordered from another Co. which we do business with.Thanks for the idea.
Regards,LOU

JF in CT ,
Darned good Idea, we made our reloading boards out of some scrap oak, just might have to make our own case storage holder for the ammo.
Regards, LOU

bingo,
Where we live, yes we can buy ammo. The reloading supplies (powder, and primers) carry a hazardous fee. So just ordering 1 lb of powder or 1k primers will not justify doing so. We pick up out of town for those. No local handles reloading parts.
Regards,
LOU

tractor300,
We found your scenario to be true more than not. It's all a ripoff.Maybe we should start our own Shipping company,within weeks we'd be millionaires.lol.
LOU

We ship honey, bees wax, and other products made from our bees all over the world, except China. We find in the States it is far cheaper to use the flat rate boxes at the post office. It can be less than 1/2 the other places. Post office rural mail carrier will pick it up right out of our processing plant.

The post office is about as cheap as it gets, and this is what they charge:

Small Flat Rate Box $5.80
Medium Flat Rate Boxes $12.35
Large Flat Rate Boxes $16.85

So, shipping from the post office isn't cheap either, even if you consider your time and packing materials (i.e. tape, peanuts, etc.) free.

Many businesses "eat" the shipping on small orders and hope they make it up in large orders. Others charge the high shipping figuring that you'll order more, or won't waste your/their time.

Big places like Midway don't like it when someone orders a couple of small cheap things. They LOSE money on little orders, as the few cents they make on a $3.75 item won't even pay for the electrons to power the computer that processed your order.

(quoted from post at 00:17:24 01/23/14) At the business I work at, we ship packages out on UPS and Fed Ex every day..... So depending on how far away your stuff was shipped from, the shipping charges are reasonable. The postal service is usually somewhat less, but still not free.

We had a meeting with UPS rep. at our Co. today. For some types of shipments (Air) they use a "Dimensional Weight" calculation. Basically: multiply the L, W, H and then divide by 1. 6 to get a #lb.

In some cases, shipping a brick is cheaper than an empty ice cream pail. The volume matters.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back