Trustworthy Aftermarket Electrical Companies . . .

ScottNC

Over the winter I attempted to repair a hot no start on an older Nissan, I came away thoroughly disgusted with the lack of quality in the aftermarket parts market. After three bad igniter/ignition modules in a row from two different companies, I ended up using 30+ year old original equipment junkyard components. On the wife's Civic last spring I chose aftermarket, complete lower control arms instead of replacing bushings and ball joints only to find when having the car aligned - they are shorter than stock - affecting the camber for which there is no adjustment. Don't get me started on aftermarket brake rotors that need turning after 6000 miles. A year ago I went through three thermostats before getting one that opened at the temperature it was stamped with.

TRW and Dorman used to be solid. Niehoff and Standard Ignition the same. In 2022 I bought a bunch of AC Delco/GM "Made in USA" boxed air conditioning parts for my Tahoe only to find "Product of China" stickers on some of the parts. China does nothing well.

Where do you go for your old tractor or vehicles parts when there is no longer OEM parts available?

I go Andy’s a local auto parts ,he stocks standard , ign. hard to find any parts for a seventy year old tractor or car . Mfr have to out source. If they don’t work got to return them .
Im in agreement with your situation , asking question only way to find. . I don’t have a good answer
I ve got situation with mechanical fuel pump for Chevy. Never had issue wtih fuel pumps ,
Do now ,, I looked at the reviews. Wow 50 percent of the remarks they failed right out of the box In some cases. Don’t know what to say ,wish I had a good comment how to answer this.
Read the reviews , and then ask questions

It's good to have a "parts carcass" to take off used parts, better than new CHI-COM offal.

I haven't scraped a 73 C-10 chevy because I still run a 1985..........I replaced a flasher a while back with a "new" CHI-COM pos, it lasted <1 year. I took the flasher out of the 1973, made in USA, it's still working 3 years later and is probably 50 years old.....

Double07 - to your point on GM; So the story goes, back in '09-ish after sponging up $11 billion from the US taxpayer and never repaying, it GM went to China for another $11B. Deal was GM had to show the PRC how to build cars in return. Currently, pretty much all Buick's are built there, some Cadillac's. I've heard GM's EV batteries are China made. Pretty sure the Bolt/Volt batteries were. Can't confirm either, after several searches using "made by", "manufactured by", "sourced from" there wasn't a single hit. There must be a good bit of GM's car lineup coming from China with them having built something like twelve plants there since '09. Personally, the newest GM vehicle I would own is a 2006, maybe a 2007 if it didn't have DOD or AFM. After that it's been all downhill; $1900 body control module so the door locks work or $4 to $6K to fix or remove DOD/AFM.

Getting back on topic, donor parts vehicles when new are no good or no longer exists- anyone have a retired David Brown 885 with a serviceable front axle pivot pin?

560Dennis, look for a high performance parts warehouse online - like Summit for a mechanical fuel pump. You might have to get creative with the plumbing. I was involved in building Chevy LS engines for a couple of NASCAR series that used distributors and carburetors. The assembly that held the distributor also allowed for use of a Ford aftermarket mechanical fuel pump. It was a bolt together pump that allowed for diaphragm replacement. It used threaded, clock-able inlet/outlets housing to ease installation. The pump arm and it's housing was dedicated to the intended engine make, the actual pump portion was the same whether Ford, GM, etc.

560Dennis, look for a high performance parts warehouse online - like Summit for a mechanical fuel pump. You might have to get creative with the plumbing. I was involved in building Chevy LS engines for a couple of NASCAR series that used distributors and carburetors. The assembly that held the distributor also allowed for use of a Ford aftermarket mechanical fuel pump. It was a bolt together pump that allowed for diaphragm replacement. It used threaded, clock-able inlet/outlets housing to ease installation. The pump arm and it's housing was dedicated to the intended engine make, the actual pump portion was the same whether Ford, GM, etc.
Thank you for suggesting

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back