TSC Store and Hobart 140 mig welder

Bought a Hobart 140 mig welder in Nov 2015 from our local tsc store, never used it until yesterday and it welded 1.5 inches and quit. Everything works as should but won't arc, took it back to the tsc store and since i have had it more than 30 days they won't help me. Told them it is brand new but that did'nt matter. Wish I had bought a Lincoln and not at Tsc. Just frustrated and upset at lack of service from Tsc. 520 bucks for 1.5 inches of weld is not what i expected

I had the same problem with a pair of TSC boots. Didn't last three months before they fell apart.No warranty on boots that still looked brand new. They will never see my money again.

I don't buy much from tsc, they became like home depot and harbor freight, set a price and find a product that fits it rather than find a good product and charge a fair price

Oh I can't complain too much about my last purchase at TSC . It was this over sized recliner that I sit/lay in , in front of the wood stove , while I hold my lap top and read YT. Works good for snoozes too. Don't buy much at TSC for the most part.

Look for something obvious, like a loose or poor connection in the wire freed roller area, or even between the ground cable and clamp.

Have you gone to Hobart's website and gotten contact info and contacted them directly?

It's certainly worth a try to see if honoring the prestige of their brand name is of any importance.

Wait a minute you say you bought it back in November of last year. Hobart carries a one year warranty on their welders. I would be calling Hobart.

I brought one from TSC about four years ago. Hobart has an 800 number you can call for help listed in your paperwork somewhere. I called them once, but don't remember why, but I do remember them being helpful and helped me solve the problem. I'm sure your problem is probably something simple.

Wire feed welders are pretty simple devices. I tend to believe you have a bad connection somewhere rather than a hard failure. If the wire feeds OK, then a bad ground connection is likely. Get out your voltmeter and make sure you have voltage between the positive and negative terminals inside the unit when you pull the trigger. If that's good, then you just have a bad connection in the cables or ground clamp.

TSC and Home Depot bad,Harbor Freight good???? Hobart welders bad,Chicago Elecric welders good??? Something's wrong with that picture.

I went into the one that opened in McCook yesterday.
Yup
Little of everything, but still a p!!!-poor selection.

Orshlen's won't be losing any of my business. They don't have a dog kennel around the chick and duckling tanks so the kids can't get to them. And they don't have a 6 chick minimum for each breed selected.

I don't understand how this is TSC's fault. They did not make the welder. They do not warranty the welder.

Best they could do is take it as a return, but you sat on the welder for 6 months before trying it. Their return policy is only 30 days.

http://www.external_link.com/content_customer-solutions_tsc-returns-policy

Fortunately, you bought a brand name welder. Hobart is owned by Miller and that is basically a Miller welder.

I bought that same welder around 10 or more years ago. It hasn't given any trouble beyond normal MIG issues (dirty drive wheels, fines in the nozzle, etc) It's even been involved in two unfortunate accidents that resulted in a beat up case and a replaced hose/gun but it still works good. Some parts are the same as Miller since them and Hobart merged. I forget who bought who.

Get on Hobart's website and contact their customer service. I did have a minor problem with an auto darkening helmet they made and their customer service was very good and everything got straightened out with no problems. As other posts have said you likely have a minor fixable problem and customer service should have a troubleshooting flowchart to go through.

As for TSC, remember TSC stands for "Toys, Shoes, Clothes".

I am no huge fan of TSC but will defend their change their change away from the no questions asked return policy. It has nothing to due with being crooks or selling china made products. It has everything to do with customers who were buying a high dollar item such as a welder, riding mower, pump or whatever, then using it to do their projects and then returning it for full refund aka free tool rental service. Lowes and Home Cheapo still do no questions asked returns and there are 100s of tractor trailer loads of store returns sold off at near total loss, the majority being returns from people using them both for free tool rentals. Wanna take a wild guess who pays for such?? I feel your pain here but it isn't TSC's fault, blame the ijuits in society for it.

Talked to hobart and they will repair it if I bring it to a authorized repair center, the nearest being 70 miles from me. there and back twice 280 miles total. guess thats what i will have to do if I want it to work but still doesn't feel right

I agree it is not TSC fault and he should call Hobart. But they could be more helpful to the customer.If you take anything back to the one down here.
They look at you like. We got your money now go away.

I have seen the use one time return trick. Pulled many times.

Are you welding with flux or solid wire? Need to make sure you have the wires correct for each! I don't remember which is which right now and I don't know what will happen if wrong!

I have the same Hobart 140 and it works great. However it has a duty cycle that will allow it to weld only so much and then cutout. Have you given it a second try? Were you trying to weld for 1.5 inches at one time? If so this welder isn't made to run constantly but is short burst then a down time. It's better for spot welding car side panels on or to do small welds at a time. I'd check it over once more to see if it is indeed working and has cycled off and back on. Could have also tripped a breaker if it isn't on a 20 amp breaker.

I like the 140 it's done everything I have asked it to do.

I don't know why you would expect TSC to help you - if you think they should take it back 5 months later when would you expect them set the cutoff date?

It is guaranteed by Hobart and they are a good company - that is who you should have contacted. it is really unreasonable to think TSC should do anything.

Tip: use a real 20a circuit.. preferably a non shared circuit and not on #14 wire, at the end of the house.

And they don't like (regular ) extension cords

Took it to a authorized Hobart service center, they said it will be 3 weeks before they will even look at it, the guy said its still got the little roll of welding wire in it that they send with the machine, I said yep it is brand new

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back