Tweety 8N and things that go bump...

Bruce(OR)

Well, I got the engine to crank over with 12V pos ground and no plugs in the cylinders. I fixed the stuck valve in #2 cylinder with a light smack on the valve with the plug out. Put the new battery and cables on, added a temp gas tank, cleaned the corrosion off the points.
Hit the starter and it cranked over nicely.
You thought it would start?
HA!
Even I knew better.
Rather than waste a bunch of time, grab the meter and start looking for voltage.
Wonderful volt drop just through the ignition switch.
Rust on every connection and a lot of it not worth playing with.
Ordered up an ign switch and ballast resistor.
Don't want to wait for parts, grab the jumper wire and go from the battery to the ballast resistor.
Hit the starter button and it fired up with a great cloud of smoke from Seafoam in the cylinders.
Then from the noise, I could tell the starter drive was stuck.
Sun Beach Somewhere. Chop the throttle and the engine dies. Naturally we had to do it again.
Pull the starter out and naturally it came out in pieces.
Starter drive is stuck and will not retract or extend anymore.
No biggie. A trip to Napa tomorrow and a generous dive into the wallet to pick it up tomorrow.
It might be running Monday, after the rain stops on Sunday.
After that comes the multiple clean ups and other repairs.

Bruce Great updates. Once you get it running I am curious to see what kind of, "dry" compression readings you get on each cylinder! JB

Did You get oil pressure when it turned over? I'm putting mine together after replacing oil pump and measuring the bearings with plastigauge and replacing the clutch. I turned mine over without the plugs in place and was relieved when it shot quickly to 30#.I then got mission creep and now have to rebuild everything and paint!Good luck

"Well, I got the engine to crank over with 12V pos ground and no plugs in the cylinders. I fixed the stuck valve in #2 cylinder with a light smack on the valve with the plug out. Put the new battery and cables on, added a temp gas tank, cleaned the corrosion off the points. Hit the starter and it cranked over nicely. You thought it would start?"
No I didn't, you had the plugs out. Was that a test? :)
Great updates Bruce, I've been fowling your tweety project since you brought it home.

You funny guy. Me like-a-you long time.
She is still after me to sell it.
What dear? My tinnitus is acting up again and no, I don't desire the free hearing aids.

Oil pressure was done by removing the oil relief plug and after nothing showed with a pre-lube of thread cutting oil, that was in the oil can, I finally drug out the 90W in a pump jug and filled it up. Then with the 12V cranking I got pressure.
No, I was not smart enough to look at the gauge once I actually got it running.
oops.

I am willing to bet the #3 hole will still be low and as long as it does not smoke, I am not concerned about it.
My desire, as of today, is to paint it the OEM greenish gray with the red belly. Then I need to find a brush hog AND paint it bright canary yellow.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back