Ultra Pasteurization

Actually pasteurization was brought in to help slow the spread of “Consumption “ as we know more accurately call it “Tuberculosis “. Just one of many ways of spreading TB was through contaminated milk. And don’t kin yourself, a cow can live for years with TB and shed infection in her milk the whole time, and unless it’s tested, or someone drinks the raw milk from a TB positive cow and becomes TB positive too, the only way you can tell the cow has TB will be that she will be a poorer producer and thinner than her herd mates. Milk is a perfect medium for many types of bacteria including Corona Virus, Streptococcus and Staphylococcal infections, Listeria and Ecoli . Pasturing milk effectively ensures that milk will be free of these contaminants. Ultra High Temperature pasteurization is only necessary to prolong shelf live. Normal pasteurization is totally acceptable way to prevent illness in people consuming milk. And make no mistake, many of the same illnesses are also present in raw meat and raw eggs. I would advise not consuming either without proper storage, handling and cooking.

If you don't recognize the author's name, I suggest you do a little googling to see if he's really qualified to comment on nutrition or food safety. (Spoiler: Tyler Durden is a fictional character who only exists in the protagonist's mind.)

Needless to say, his comments on the effects of UHT pasteurization on the nutritional value of milk are utter nonsense.

UHT pasteurization has been a godsend for third-world countries where refrigeration is nearly non-existent. I consumed quite a bit of UHT milk in Egypt, where it's pretty much the only milk available. Some folks insist they can tell the difference between UHT and conventionally pasteurized milk. I can't.

At any rate, nobody is making you drink UHT-pasteurized milk products. In fact, there's no need for humans to drink milk at all. Many don't.

As for the bad bugs most of that is from not taking care of the milk right away after getting done milking. As for fresh milk most of it is a week old by the time you get it at the store. First it sets in the bulk tank for a day or 2 before the milk hauler picked it up at the farm. Then it rides around all day in the truck with no cooling after it leaves the farm. Just adding the cold milk from the farms as it is picked up. Then when it gets to the plant it takes a day to process it and then sets another day before it is shipped out to some distribution center to go to the store, and sets there till it is sold so 2 days at the farm for the first milking a 3rd on the truck then the 4th at the plant and at least probably 2 more days to get to the store with a day or 2 before it is bought. That is the big reason for pasteurization not the bugs so much. We used to bring the milk from the end of the milking in to drink was what drained out of the pipeline at the end of each milking. Strained and cooled right away in the fridge. Usually was about 2 gallon this was twice a day. IF there got to be to much mom would send the extra that was older out to feed calves with. She would also make puddings and bake with some of it . None of us ever got sick from fresh milk and nothing tasted better than fresh milk . And Barnyard is right about the antibiotics with cost and holds if treated. Milk was usually from 4-8 milking depending on what was used. For slaughter it was usually about 30 days with hold in that so no good reason to treat if not needed.

Actually pasteurization was brought in to help slow the spread of “Consumption “ as we know more accurately call it “Tuberculosis “. Just one of many ways of spreading TB was through contaminated milk. And don’t kin yourself, a cow can live for years with TB and shed infection in her milk the whole time, and unless it’s tested, or someone drinks the raw milk from a TB positive cow and becomes TB positive too, the only way you can tell the cow has TB will be that she will be a poorer producer and thinner than her herd mates. Milk is a perfect medium for many types of bacteria including Corona Virus, Streptococcus and Staphylococcal infections, Listeria and Ecoli . Pasturing milk effectively ensures that milk will be free of these contaminants. Ultra High Temperature pasteurization is only necessary to prolong shelf live. Normal pasteurization is totally acceptable way to prevent illness in people consuming milk. And make no mistake, many of the same illnesses are also present in raw meat and raw eggs. I would advise not consuming either without proper storage, handling and cooking.
Pasteurization such as done currently destroys most all of the good stuff in milk.
Low temp past. is much better.
My entire family, all the neighboring families grew up on raw milk.
Your statements are border line fear mongering

The article lost all credibility for me and I stopped reading at this paragraph:

"Large amounts of grain are not a natural diet for cows, nor is it natural for cows to live in close quarters with no way of distancing themselves from their fresh manure. To keep the cows alive in such conditions of filth, antibiotics became necessary. It was a recipe for antibiotic resistance and stronger, mutated pathogens."

Anyone who has dealt with cattle knows that there are two major outright LIES in this paragraph.
Large amounts of grains are not natural diet for cows. It’s away to boost production

Pasteurization such as done currently destroys most all of the good stuff in milk.
Low temp past. is much better.
My entire family, all the neighboring families grew up on raw milk.
Your statements are border line fear mongering
I call BS on your fear monger statement. Everything I said is true, like it or don’t. I spent a lifetime as a dairy farmer, and I have a decent amount of respect for science.

1708191537766.png

As for the bad bugs most of that is from not taking care of the milk right away after getting done milking. As for fresh milk most of it is a week old by the time you get it at the store. First it sets in the bulk tank for a day or 2 before the milk hauler picked it up at the farm. Then it rides around all day in the truck with no cooling after it leaves the farm. Just adding the cold milk from the farms as it is picked up. Then when it gets to the plant it takes a day to process it and then sets another day before it is shipped out to some distribution center to go to the store, and sets there till it is sold so 2 days at the farm for the first milking a 3rd on the truck then the 4th at the plant and at least probably 2 more days to get to the store with a day or 2 before it is bought. That is the big reason for pasteurization not the bugs so much. We used to bring the milk from the end of the milking in to drink was what drained out of the pipeline at the end of each milking. Strained and cooled right away in the fridge. Usually was about 2 gallon this was twice a day. IF there got to be to much mom would send the extra that was older out to feed calves with. She would also make puddings and bake with some of it . None of us ever got sick from fresh milk and nothing tasted better than fresh milk . And Barnyard is right about the antibiotics with cost and holds if treated. Milk was usually from 4-8 milking depending on what was used. For slaughter it was usually about 30 days with hold in that so no good reason to treat if not needed.
Anymore, the large dairy farms of today are shipping multiple semi loads of milk per day. Some of these operations even concentrate the milk before shipping to save on hauling water. (Not for drinking milk)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back