Uncovered exhaust

Looking at a tractor that supposedly runs, it turns over, but I could not get it running. Ran last fall, but has sat with the exhaust uncovered. The manifold is bad and needs replacing. Antifreeze level was good in it. Should i be worried about water having damaged something in the engine? What should I look for as damage? I covered it as soon as i saw it was not.
 
I'm not sure. I don't think that water could get into engine through the manifold. Posible. Anyone else have a sugestion on the matter. Some manifolds have a bend in them somthing like a trap under your kitchen sink with a small hole in the bottom for a drain, to prevent water from entering engine. To get engine starting, bleed the entire fuel system uo to the fuel pump, and while trying to start, bleed fuel lines at the injectors, if a deasle. Or use either. Personaly I don't like useing either. Hope this helps
 
Well since the engine isn't stuck thats half the battle. Either way I would fill the cylinders with tranny fluid before turning it over any more. By doing that you will lube up the rings and cylinders and also remove any rust that is in the cylinders. Then pull the plugs back out, alway put them back in. Spin the engine over the clear the fluid and try to start it up
Hobby farm
 
why do you think water can not get in through the exhaust? it a open road to the top of the piston if that valve is open and if valves are a little bad water will get in. i think this is the number one thing i see in the shop as to why engines in tractor go to hel-. seen engines stuck after only a week
 
If it's not stuck I wouldn't worry too much. Only concern MIGHT be that if it filled a cylinder,then froze and broke,the water would have gone in to the water jacket. I don't know if that scenerio would be more likely with wet sleeves or dry? BUT..by the same token,it would be going both ways and wouldn't compress the water or anti freeze when you roll it over. Trust me on that one.Unless,of course it was just pushing it back in to the water jacket. I bought an Oliver 66 up by Lakeview about 10 years ago and they said the motor was stuck. What happened was,it sat out in the rain and a cylinder filled with water so it wouldn't turn over. They towed it and when it tried to compress the water,it bent the rod so bad that when the piston came back down,the rings expanded under the sleeve.
 
Water in th exhaust is likely to lead to stuck valves. If they're stuck bad enough you can bend pushrods by cranking the engine.
 
I once had an old 6 cyl chrysler engine in the same boat, turned out 4 vavles were rusted enough not to move when I rolled it over, it kept trying to pop on 1 cyl. a little ATF in the cyls and pulled the tappet covers and used a small prybar in the valve springs to get them movin again and had it runnin in no time.. took 20 mins or so to burn off all the ATF but ran great fer years...goodluck
 
marlowe.
I was thinking of my super major. it has a slits bend bend down then up like an s with a small drain hole, in it from the manifold to the exahust stack. I went out to my sheds, and looked at my fordson dexta, david brown 880, and my oliver 1650, after I put my 2 cents worth, and you are right, the water can get in to the engine on my other three tractors.
 
If it turns over, an has some compression it should be ok. The water that entered the stack probably drained through the bad manifold. I would drain and refill the transmission, as water has a way of entering through the shift lever unless it has a good boot. I bought a tracotr that had almost fout gallons of water in the trans from being not covered. Stan
 
Take the plug out of the sump..first thing to come out could be water...screw the plug out slowly so you can observe whats coming out.If it's there you have an answer.
If concerned about sticking valves.take the rocker cover off and watch valves while turning over. I would do it by hand..Give compression test. .025c
 
take valve cover off and smack all the valves with a rubber mallet to make sure they all open and close before trying tostart is the rest is loose .maybe pull all plugs and fill cyls with oil and crank it over to oil cylinders and let oil pump pressurise the rest of the engine before starting .
 
My JD H took in water thru a rusted out seam in the muffler.Can on the stack didnt help that time.I had to look close to see the crack but the rain found it.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top