United we stand...

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
I have gotten to where I visit this board less and less, primarily because of the mean spirited talk that so often flares up. What is it with everybody?

Actually, I think it is a lot of things: the faltering economy, increased tension over illegal immigration (with and without racism), skyrocketing fuel prices, the demise of quality and pride of workmanship, the incomprehensible dog-eat-dog insanity going on in the Middle East and the great divide between The Rich and The Rest (subdivided into Greed, Selfishness and Arrogant Disregard for Fellow Men).

We are, none of us, happy with the way the world is going. Its hard not to feel helpless sometimes in the face of such downward momentum.

Plus, we have the nightly spectacle of the politicians stirring all of it up for us, ratcheting the tension and fueling the rage, reminding us how bad we've got it, how screwed up the other leaders are and how desperately we need Change.

And, of course, we're all weary of this lingering winter and all souls ache for Spring, the smell of rich soil and the whisper of a warm summer breeze. Godspeed the first day of plowing, the lightning bug and the honeysuckle.

Meanwhile, I hear more and more of you snarling and snapping at each other, calling each other stupid, using cloaked profanity in front of women and kids (they're here too you know) and generally making fools of yourselves. Hey, whatever happened to the concept of America being a place where its okay to have differences of opinion about politics, family values, religion or anything else, even tractor colors? If a man disagrees with you, that doesn't mean he's stupid.

I think people all need to take a deep breath, relax and try to regain some civility. This is more than a tractor forum, its a place where people from all walks and from all corners of the world come to converse, share ideas and ask for advice. If we can't keep it decent, clean and constructive I think Kim should just shut er down because the last thing we need is another breeding ground for discontent.

Lighten up. Smile. Take a walk in the woods. Love One Another for crying out loud.

Please knock off the hateful, intolerant and belittling put-downs. Like your mama said: if you can't say something nice...
 
I agree.. was just talking to a friend not more then half hour ago about some of the mean things being said on this form.
I don't come here to fight with anyone on anything. Just not my thing to do these days. Sharing some thoughts and a laugh is what I seek here.
 

I have only been coming here a short time but sure have enjoyed it and have learned an awful lot. There are super people here sharing a vast amount of information and I really appreciate it. Allan, Old, JDemaris and many, many others are a treat for me to read. Sure would be disappointed to see such a nice board, populated by so many interesting people, diminished because of a few interlopers who just go around the net stirring up trouble. I am hoping that if they are properly ignored they will just go away. This isn't the only board with this problem and I'll bet if the truth could be found out it's the same few people using many different aliases who cause most of the trouble.

Don't give up! Spring will be here in awhile...
 

"I have gotten to where I visit this board less and less, primarily because of the mean spirited talk that so often flares up. What is it with everybody? "

Because we used to have a place here specifically for talking trash and discussing things that a few of the ladies here don't like. The OT board gave guys a place to vent and kid each other and talk about what they wanted to.

But a few of your holier than thou types couldn't handle it. They couldn't accept the fact that some guys like to puff up their chests and play keyboard commando once in awhile. The main problem comes when you have a few old ladies here that think the world revolves around them and they should decide what gets discussed. They are true cowards and to this day they run crying to Kim when their tender little feelings get hurt.

So I predict this place will wither and die. The tough talk will drive people away. And slowly this place will disappear.

So hopefully you tender types that cried until you got the OT removed will realize the consequences of your actions.
 
I agree with you, Kent, and I too have been spending less time here. I always come back to a quote I heard awhile back. It's kinda offensive, but it does get the point across.
38441_7dtr2scy8f_l.jpg
 

l have been reading yt site for 5-6 years, haven't posted much--more lately--l'm a retired mechanic with a home shop & work on stuff to make a few $$. i have had questions about something i was working on, go to the archives & find answers. last year l repaired a JD 4430 hyd. system problem with help from the guys on that board-{ g-man, i think was one-] and many others] i thought, how neat is this? work a while, run into a blank , & have several people willing to help you out--all coming out of this machine--several minutes after asking guestions. l donno about the posters that are upset because they have no place to ''vent'' maybe they could start there own site?? l wouldn't think they would need 'kim' to do it--or maybe if they would use a real name & ask, she would be glad to tell them how to go elsewhere & get it set up--
 
I think you just need a tough skin to hang with this crowd here and not be such a whiner ,belive I am on hunting forums that make this site look like little girls texting each other .in the last 5 years . I to have not visited this site as much due to censorship and bumbling old farts that scream tractor talk only as they must not have much of a life outside a dirty cluttered shop and do not realise that there is one large world out there with lots of things happening at once .
 
i don't hunt much anymore, or i guess i'd be over there with the tough-skinned dudes instead of here with the bumbling old farts with dirty shops & no idea how big the world is.--Whats your reason for being here??
 
try to expose yourself to at least 14 hours of light a day............... Cut the coffee and cigs as much as possible and breathe through the nose. It works. Don't know if it has a real effect in itself, or if it's just concentrating on so many different things doesn't leave time for a bad mood. You can't take things back, no matter what you say.


Enjoy the weekend folks.

Dave
 
I`ve been hear for about 8 yrs. and it happens every yr. Starts about groundhog day and last till the sun starts shining again .
 
I bout quit cause most topics sould be in tractor tales or politics, don't have time to read the whole book. gary
 
"I Know" - No, you don't know. If you knew, you would have the knowledge to set up your own site where you could say what you wanted and allow everyone on your site to say what they wanted. Trust me, there are several "no holds barred" sites that would make the majority of the participants on the old OT forum whimper and crawl off to the nearest corner to lick their wounds.

Why did Kim close down your favorite forum? Well, it's kinda like a restaurant that sets up a separate area for smokers. If the smokers decided to spit on the floor and p*ss on the furniture, they would wear out their welcome.

This site die out? Not likely - there are too many of us old guys who would rather talk tractors than trash, though simple-minded we may be. I find it relatively easy to skip over a topic or back out of one in which I find boring.
So, why not just pick up your toy soldiers and go fight your word battles with more worthy opponents than all of us doddering, old, cowardly "women".

Note: no need for a reply because by the time it got posted, I will have forgotten my own name - it goes with old age. Godspeed to you.

"We are all born with two sacks - one filled with luck and an empty one for experience. The trick is to fill the sack of experience before you empty the sack of luck".
 
Why? Bacause the colorful thin skined subjects that hang out here to complain about everything anyone else posts .
 
Many good points in the original post. Seems our country has been divided in one way or another forever. Rich and poor, fat and skinny, Conservative and abundant, ugly and handsome like me. The media preys on this stuff and Gov't has been making money off it since FDR figured out how to capitalize on it.

As for fixing it- not gonna happen. This is the slide into oblivion of another culture. The Romans had their Circus, we have TV. Keep them entertained and they'll not notice how we're screwing them to death. By the time most folks pick up on whats going on it'll be too late.

Well, now that I've worked myself into a good depression I think I'll go to work so I can pay more taxes to support the Gov't programs I never get a pennys worth of.
 
Leland,

You mention "bumbling old farts that scream tractor talk only must not have much of a life..."

Yup, that"s me. Over 70, and on the glide path to the home for the simple, and the loss of testosterone makes us tend to not scream, just smile with our friends. Memories and old tractors keep us going, and going, and....

I only ask one thing of you: Please tell us what this board is called. It"s at the top of this site.

I wish the best for you, Leland.

LA in WI
 
I have found there is more to life than tractors ,but after a while a change is good for all even old farts .
 
Leland,

So what do you suggest we change to? If I have time, I"ll do as you suggest.

I fish in Canada twice a yr, I drive a delivery van in afternoons for a printing company, I do some volunteer work, I repair toys for needy kids for Christmas, I pick up road/ditch litter for 4 miles about 10 times a year as it"s good exercise, in the mornings I sit here at the monitor with my coffee and enjoy the visits with some real nice people.
Then I just go in my shop to tinker with my Farmall and 2-16" plow. Then I"m so tired I go take a nap and dream of when I too was loaded with testosterone.

I"m tired and retired, but I"ll change for whatever you would like for us "old farts".

LA
 
In general, I don't agree.

Yes, this is the wrong place for political issues.

But, NOWHERE is the wrong place for challenging people when they put down the country they live in with false information. Some "old timers" might call that patriotism.

I've heard cries about "freedom" - which means little. By defintion, freedom cannot exist with other freedoms. One person's freedom takes away someone else's freedom. If I was free to do whatever I chose, I could take away all YOUR freedoms, etc.

This country (USA) has existed as long as it has with social controls dictating everyday life - instead of relying only on written laws. But, that seems to be going away.

By pretending that, we're all equal, all should have our say, nobody anywhere is wrong, etc. - is the #1 problem in this country right now.

So, I don't know what to tell you. You do, of course, have the freedom to just read the posts that interest you, and avoid the others.
 
I don't know about you But I'm quite happy with life right now. But I have seen a lot worse times than this and we got though them days.
Walt
 
Forgot i have seen 35 cent a gallon gas and it took half a days wages to fill up my car. More if it was empty. Mom and I spent $25 every two week at the grocery store for two of us and we thought that was great. I made $3.33 an hour back then thought I was rich.
Walt
 
As mentioned by others , one factor is the OT board on this site was shut down as it was getting out of control , so now some of the political stuff comes onto the other boards. I have been using this website for nearly 10 years, and the problems you mention always seem worse towards the end of winter and in an election year. Dont give up on this site , as the weather improves and more people begin working with/on their tractors and equipment it'll get back to normal, with lots of On -Topic questions. There is still alot of knowledgeable and helpful people here. Personally ,I tend to just ignore or not respond to the OT stuff that I dont care for and try to jump in when I can add something helpful in a timely manner.
 
I know,you can try to have a civil conversation about facts,and even opinions,but there are always a few people who are so rabid in their beliefs with nothing to back it up but pure faith,that a conversation soon turns in to a mud slinging insult match. Sad state of affairs because I sure enjoy a good civil discussion.
 
What are you going to do when tractor is running swell? Can't brag or it'll hear you and break down. Nothing wrong with a little diversity. Wife says I am too negative, but sure trying to see the bright side.
 
Like others have said it's that time of year.
You know winter's ending but it's still a long time before we can get out there and start tilling, mowing etc. So we're cooped up and bored and maybe a little testy to boot.
Part of it is outlook and additude - you know,
like the saying about pessimists seeing the glass as half empty and optimists seeing it as half full. One thing I like about these boards is there's a third group here amongst us who don't care if the glass is half full or empty.
They just order another round.
This one's on me folks.
Let's tip to the coming spring.
 
Well you have people that come on here and express a viewpoint that if you really care about kids and women you would attack them too.I see no sense in letting them bully a viewpoint that is a lie as it is the gospel.Figureing that nobody is going to say anything and leaving all that lie up there for the women and kids to think is alright is gutless.I would rather answer questions about tractors.If there arent any that I think I can answer and some of this other stuff comes up it gets interesting to me.
 
I stayed at the OT board and you're the first one to say why it was closed. wonder where you got your insight? I always thought the whiners from this board came down there and didn't like what they saw, so they whined to Kim. Sorta like the religious people that complained about dirty magazines, but i would see them bunched up at the news stand after church.
 
Paul,
He wants me to relax...at my age, if I relax even more than I am, I"ll fall asleep.
Maybe it"s time for Kim to do what needs to be done.
LA
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top