Unknown Ford model

M-Denmark

New User
Hi.

I am Marc from Denmark.

I just bought an old Ford tractor and I am trying to figure out what model it is. The numbers on the bellhousing doesn t match any of the numbers I have read about for the 1000 series tractors.
I bought it a 4500 industrial but the front axel on mine is different than on a 4500.

I hope someone on the forum can solve the puzzle.
It was a bit difficult to take pictures because of the bracket for the front loader so the numbers are in two photos

Regards Marc
mvphoto95505.jpg

mvphoto95506.jpg

mvphoto95507.jpg

mvphoto95508.jpg

This post was edited by M-Denmark on 08/04/2022 at 04:40 pm.

Agreed.
3 cylinder, double reduction rear/ inboard disk brakes, straight axle, but no hard nose would be a 4400.

I agree that it is most likely a 4400.

A117902 is the serial number. The A at the beginning says that it was assembled at the plant in Antwerp Belgium. There's not a lot of information on the European serial numbers, but that one is low enough that it matches the louvered hood sides and wraparound lower grill. My guess would be that it's a mid to late 1965 serial number.

I am a bit confused, the numbers give October 22nd 1965 and the rear axle is a 4000 but the engine has a cast sump like a 5000. I have not com across a cast sump on a three cylinder tractor before. Just wondering if a 5000 engine has been fitted.

cvphoto132287.jpg

This 4000 Industrial from a bit later has the pressed steel sump.
Always willing to learn. :0)

Brian.

Brian,
If I'm following you -
Cast sump/oil pan? is very common on a 3 cylinder.
Off the top of my head, 3400, 3500, 4400, 4500,4410 and 4200 all used them.
The front axles on most of them could not work unless it had the CI pan.

Thanks for that Ultra, we did not see many of those types over here, as I said, all the industrials I saw had the pressed sump. We were JCB agents so did not see many of Fords own diggers and loaders.

Brian

I am a bit confused, the numbers give October 22nd 1965

I hadn't thought of K225 as being a valid date code since it is out of order. October 22 1965 should really be 5K22, but the early 3 cylinder European models were commonly stamped without following the standard that the US plant used and that they eventually used at the European plants as well. So that verifies my estimate of that serial number being a mid to late 1965 serial number then.

Thank you all for your replays. :)

The power steering ram is located in front of the engine.

It has a 3-cylinder engine.

Does anyone know how the original muffler looks like? I have seen round body and oval body types.
I live in a reverential area so a muffler with the most sound dampening would be appreciated.

I was surprised to find out that is has an oil bath air filter. I thought those went away with the Fordsons
mvphoto95524.jpg

mvphoto95525.jpg

This post was edited by M-Denmark on 08/05/2022 at 05:41 am.

The top mounted neutral safety switch that 4400 has was used on 65 models and 66 until 9/66
Oil bath air cleaner was used on all but a few models through the entire -000 series and first year of the -600 tractors until 9/76
That tractor has had a engine swap with a later model engine installed, 4M08 block casting date == December 08, 19?4, tach drive below the oil filter won't fit on engines prier to 71
Wheat emblem cast into the lower part of the block makes me think 84 model block

The shift pattern sticker shows that it's a 4x4 manual reverser, which confirms it is a pre-1968 transmission as well, or at least the original transmission. They switched the manual reverser to 6x4 on 4/1/68 when they made the sheet metal and grill changes.

The wheat sheed was introduced after the ford and fiat
merger into newholland, wasnt it? IMHO

Definitely a replacement block

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back