Unknown Massey backhoe

Duhhuh

New User
I recently acquired a Massey M135 with an M300 loader. Problem is there is also a backhoe that I can find no tag for in any of the recommended search areas. It's just gone.
Can anyone identify this implement or get me close to a year and/or model so I can order a manual for the parts needed below?

Problem #2 is the main cylinder is now spitting and has to be repaired. Luckily both pins come out easily. The problem is the cylinder on the bucket end will not turn loose. There is an access hole in the frame underneath that I assume is for greasing the pin because it is slap full of old grease, et al. Therefore I can not see if something else needs to be disconnected before removal. Can someone tell me the correct way to remove the cylinder? I considered putting the pin back in the tractor end and using the hydraulics to pull it loose, put I do not want to damage anything. And once it is loose, I fear it will not come out of its location. Should the boom be up or left/right for removal? Thanks for any advice anyone is willing to give.

It is giving me a fit with the pics.
I apologize. It's not letting me upload any photos but I'm still trying. But if anyone could comment on the removal I'd appreciate it.
mvphoto80246.jpg

mvphoto80247.jpg

mvphoto80248.jpg

mvphoto80249.jpg

mvphoto80250.jpg

mvphoto80251.jpg

mvphoto80252.jpg

mvphoto80253.jpg

This post was edited by Duhhuh on 08/15/2021 at 05:59 pm.

Not always, but in many cases "new users" have to have 5 or more posts on record before the site lets them post pictures, due to site spam filters. Another option is to go down to the Site Comments Forum and ask YT Support for permission to post prior to that. You can try going down to the Test Forum and making several posts there to get your post count up, trying to attach your pictures to each post. That may work after you make several posts. Then make your post here again. It may not work immediately after you get past the 5 posts, if not, you might try logging out and back in at that point. There is a size limit as well, I think it is a total of 7mb per post (be it one picture or the total of several). Some pictures (often taken with phones), are too large and have to be reduced before they will post.

(quoted from post at 21:05:39 08/15/21) Fixed

Barrel end eye of the cylinder could have a bushing in it, which has worked out some and worn into one side or the other of the boom. Look in the hole and see if the split where the cylinder bore is, is closer to one side than the other. It may show a wide gap on the opposite side. The bushing will have moved to the narrow side. If you can catch it with a good punch you may be able to move it back. Just a possibility of what is holding it.

Thanks Jim. Provided I can get out there before the storms hit today, I'll go take another look and a few punches. Based on what I can recall from yesterday, there was about a half inch gap in the center. Perhaps both sides are too far out and need to be recessed before removal? The gap itself gave me pause yesterday, hence my inquiries on proper removal.

Great news is the cylinder is out. Bad news is no one will touch a MF cylinder repack job, and I still have no idea of the year/model to order a parts kit. Hopefully it is just the hoses, but the bottom fell out and I did not want to get struck by lightning. I'll test them tomorrow. Still looking for a little help on this monstrosity's identity. Thanks.

(quoted from post at 16:46:31 08/16/21)
Great news is the cylinder is out. Bad news is no one will touch a MF cylinder repack job, and I still have no idea of the year/model to order a parts kit. Hopefully it is just the hoses, but the bottom fell out and I did not want to get struck by lightning. I'll test them tomorrow. Still looking for a little help on this monstrosity's identity. Thanks.

Who is no one? A hydraulic shop that rebuilds cylinders should have no problem matching the sealing parts in it and doing a rebuild. If the rod or bore is damaged you may need to find a shop capable of making those parts.

The AGCO parts books are on line, you can search those to try to ID the hoe. Click this link to go to the parts books: AGCO Parts Books

mvphoto80295.jpg

mvphoto80296.jpg

mvphoto80297.jpg

Since you don't have the model, click on the browse button. When that page opens, click on Massey Ferguson in the drop down list, then Parts Books under that. The backhoes are a drop down (BACKHOE / TRENCHER ATTACHMENTS) under Grounds Care Equipment and your loader should be in the drop down called MOUNTED INDUSTRIAL LOADERS under Material Handling.

Look to see if a given hoe has mounting for your tractor and comparing component is a start. Your hoe has a rotary swing cylinder so you can rule out any that do not have that component.

Are you sure your tractor is a 135? Have you found the serial number tag for the tractor? It doesn't look right for a 135 to me from what little I see in your pictures.

(quoted from post at 00:07:01 08/17/21) Just curious, What is your general location?
I am in middle Georgia. Called a highly recommended hydraulics repair company for a quote, and his response was, "We don't touch them. We'll rebuild everything but Massey Ferguson." Then he went into some spill about poor engineering. So I responded that my other choice was the MF dealership in the same town. He said they send all their work to them. Sure enough, I called the dealership service department and was told, "We can try it, but if we pull it apart and don't have the parts then you have a disassembled cylinder. We normally send them to (the other company) mentioned above." I also asked the first guy who he'd recommend, and he had nada. So when I said "no one" I meant local within an hours drive that I can find.

The serial number on the tractor plate corresponds to the M 135's made between 1972 and 1973 in Detroit, Michigan. I will attempt to locate the backhoe model again later using the method you listed in the last post.

This post was edited by Duhhuh on 08/17/2021 at 03:35 am.

I guess I'm lucky that we have shops willing to tackle about anything. Unless the Massey dealer sold industrial models, I guess their stepping back is somewhat understandable, kind of a surprise the hydraulic shop would say that, unless they just count on buying kits from a dealer. If you tear it apart yourself, you can measure and photograph the sealing parts and a place like Baum (there is another place, some of the guys recommend, whose name I don't remember) can match up parts and make up a kit for you.

Your tractor appears to be an industrial model. When you get a chance post some more pictures (axles, grill, dash, etc.) of your tractor. What is the engine and transmission? The serial numbers may fall in line with the 135 numbers but the 300 loader would be a huge loader on a 135. The parts books are mentioning mounting on 302, MF40s and 50s, much heavier tractors than a 135. Look at model 52 and 54 backhoes, they have rotary swing cylinders.

I'm in mid state Ga. also (Hawkinsville) and I hope it wasn't the dealership in Byran as they are worthless. You may cantact the one in Tifton for better response.

(quoted from post at 12:45:32 08/17/21)
I guess I'm lucky that we have shops willing to tackle about anything. Unless the Massey dealer sold industrial models, I guess their stepping back is somewhat understandable, kind of a surprise the hydraulic shop would say that, unless they just count on buying kits from a dealer. If you tear it apart yourself, you can measure and photograph the sealing parts and a place like Baum (there is another place, some of the guys recommend, whose name I don't remember) can match up parts and make up a kit for you.

Your tractor appears to be an industrial model. When you get a chance post some more pictures (axles, grill, dash, etc.) of your tractor. What is the engine and transmission? The serial numbers may fall in line with the 135 numbers but the 300 loader would be a huge loader on a 135. The parts books are mentioning mounting on 302, MF40s and 50s, much heavier tractors than a 135. Look at model 52 and 54 backhoes, they have rotary swing cylinders.

Thanks again. I am out of town this week, but when I get back I'll double check and send more photos.

A good hydraulic shop should have no problem, mo matter the make. Might be worth travelling a little farther.

A good hydraulic shop should have no problem, no matter the make. Might be worth travelling a little farther.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back