Update on 520

Don F

New User
Several wks ago I asked for your best guess on the value of a 57 JD 520, (Thanks to BuickandDeere,Ten-Twenty and Tom 43 for your response). After more investigation it turns out to be a early 56, it runs and drives fine, no gear noise. The tin and paint job looks show room. The three point is not complete, rear tires about 90% and fronts are new. The wide front is factory. All in all it is a sharp looking tractor. Again, with these changes your best guess as to the value. Thanks much Don F
 
4 to 5 grand, maybe more. Its very difficult to estimate without photos and history. The neat thing is the 520 had an hour meter. I have a 520 that I have been working at trying to get, this one needs quite a bit of work and its not valued anywhere like the one you speak of. I offered 800 for this one with a seized engine, bad and missing clutch, missing ignition, needing tires with 7500 hours. Sorry I missed your first post but thats my thoughts.
 
Just a thought about tachs. Many times when the cable broke, it was not replaced, at least for a while. Also, hard to tell if the tach has been replaced back when the NOS ones were still at the dealer.
It is better have one as it can give a clue, but the truth is inside the block, gear case, and final drives, no matter what the tach reads.
Divide the number of hours that you see on many tachs by the years and see how unrealistic it looks, unless they bought the tractor just to fill some extra space in a shed.
 
I will second that 730 d es. It's funny when the ad says original and tach reads 2300 hours on a 50 year old machine and when you drive it the gears grind, transmission is worn out, every bearings is worn to nothing, parts are missing etc. Very obvious to say away from a purchase like that although I do know of some that are taking up shed space with low hours and are good old tractors but they have been well cared for. Options always add value.
 
It is just common sense, but leave it to the "car salesman" slipping in to our good hobby and you get all of those sayings that they use to push junk off on people just to turn themselves a dime.
Low tach hours, new tires, and fresh paint are LAST things any smart person would consider when buying a 50 year old work horse.
 
Yep. For sure. Reminds me of a couple instances when I went way out of the way to look and drive the tractor that was described as "nothing wrong with it" "farm and field ready" but when I showed about 300 miles later it was mechanically beat, gears were toast, gov bearings were going around making a rackus and whining and clutch was so sticky it was dangerous. Although there had been pics sent to view the seller was hoping for the internet "buy it now" neg deal. Very glad didn't get stuck with that one or some of the ones that have viewed. Worthwhile to view, inspect, drive, listen and have common sense and knowledge about the hobby or tractor before making rendering a descision. Totally agree- LOOKS are the last thing to view.
 

Nice thing about the 520 is that when it is running well, it is one Sweet Machine...!!

It would be very hard to ever let mine go..!!

(My Daughter calls it "Hers")..!!

Ron..
 
520's are hard to predict. They are very nice tractors but don't bring the big bucks like the 530's. Which would be good in your case sence you are buying. I would say between 3-5 grand depending how much the owner wants to part with it? I spent a lot of time on a 520 growing up & loved it. I only prefered it of our B because of the three point hitch.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top