Update on F250 brakes sticking

RedMF40

Thought I'd check in before heading to bed. Although Smokey and the Bandit's on tv so I might have to hit the hay a little later than usual.

Back on topic: A while back front right brakes started smoking on my '99 F250 SD. Made it home ok, not a total meltdown but they got pretty hot.

Replaced the brake hose on that side, drove for another 200 miles or so. Then last weekend I went to pick up some steel for a project. A few miles from home the left front brakes started smoking. I should add everything is in good shape both sides. Plenty of pad left, rotors look good, calipers look as good as you'd expect on an old truck.

Replaced the brake hose on the left side. Haven't driven enough to say if the problem is fixed but I think both hoses failed at about the same time so I should be good until the next thing breaks.

Just letting you know in case this helps someone else with a similar problem. Looks like the movie is winding down, the Bandit is heading up to Boston for some clam chowder.

Gerrit

myself i think it calipers sticking. if it was the hoses u should have seen that when u removed them. all my years and the hose is the last
thing to fail.

I ran smack into that kind of thing with a F-250 it turned out to be the anti lock brake system keeping pressure in the lines after foot pedal release. The diagnosis is simple when it is dragging, open the bleeder on that caliper. If it squirts and releases, you know it is up stream. The next time loosen the fitting where the top end of the hose is fastened to the frame/truck body. if it releases there, it is the ABS module. They want fat money for rebuilt, I found a used unit for 25% of that and it was flawless. be real careful with the brake line fittings, twisting one off makes difficulty. Jim

Easy to check. First, loosen the metal line at the brake hose. If the caliper releases, the problem is before the hose. If it doesn't release, crack the bleeder screw. If fluid sprays out And the brake releases, the hose has an internal failure, if not the caliper is mechanically sticking.

diffrent brand but my 1991 dodge d150 started not releasing a brake at a time up
front. inspection was the pedal valve that lets front or rear brakes get fluid if a
line breaks

My 1999 F250 had left rear brake failing to release and the hub and wheel were getting so hot that water would sizzle of them. Lots of brake
dust but no smoke. Caliper had failed after 24 years. New pads, caliper and hose.

I had a 99 F250 and I swear I had a brake caliper stick about every two years. Usually after a hard stop, I would feel it pulling to one side and I
could smell hot brakes. Seemed to be a regular thing.

The hose may look ok but after time the lining inside will separate and cause blocking

Ford Dealer Bob

how many miles on the truck

(quoted from post at 07:23:02 08/27/23) The hose may look ok but after time the lining inside will separate and cause blocking

Ford Dealer Bob

255K miles. I think it was the brake hoses. I recall in my younger years having a Ford Econoline with a similar problem. Brakes would occasionally stick on one side. Being young and a lot more stupid, I thought the problem would fix itself.

On a longer trip they finally overheated and I had to pull into a repair shop. They told me the brake hose had failed but now everything had to be replaced due to the extreme heat.

My truck was giving me the early warning signs. Inexpensive repair, under $50 for both sides and a few hours of my time.

You'd think they'd make hoses that can last more than 24 years!

If the problem pops up again I'll look at replacing the calipers.

Gerrit

(quoted from post at 10:23:02 08/27/23) The hose may look ok but after time the lining inside will separate and cause blocking

Ford Dealer Bob

xperienced that hose failure myself.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back