USPS service in your area

Welding man

Just wondering how the postal service is in your area of the country. It has gotten to the point that we cannot trust them to deliver anything right any more. We live in a rural area and our carrier is a contract carrier, not a postal service employee. Missing mail,lost mail, packages not delivered due to being left in their vehicle and found a couple of days later is now the norm. We have complained to the local postmaster to no avail. Our local post office no longer postmarks any mail. If you mail a letter to go from one end of town to the other it is hauled 240 miles and is brought back to the same post office.
My Wife mailed our taxes to our CPA on Monday at 11:00 AM, paid $8.97 to get one envelope delivered. The CPA received them at 12:15 Saturday.The envelope had to travel a whopping 40 miles, but the best I can calculate it traveled 360 miles and took 5 days. A pony express rider could ride 75 miles in a day in the 1800's. No wonder the postal service is always broke.

No real complaints here where I am in Mid Michigan. Only one I have is that for a little over 2 years now,it takes 2 days to get a check from the stockyard 35 miles away. They mail them out on Tuesday. They used to be here on Wednesday,now it's Thursday.

United States Post Office does an excellent job here. NO complaints at all. If a package will not fit in the mailbox, he brings it to the back door and knocks. If we're not home, he leaves a note. We can either drive in and get it at the post office, or he will deliver it the next day.

Our local post office is good but the hub ( Gary,In.) our mail comes out of is slow at times. I have my packages tracted and some have set in that hub for 3 days and it's only 40 miles away.

I have had no problem with them. But what I don't like is the no sorting in town. If the feed store needs to send me a letter. Instead of it coming from across the street. It now makes a 260 mile trip.Takes 4 days. Allot of people have stopped using the post office. For in town mail.

Very good here. If it is a large envelope or package Kim drives down my drive and blows the horn.

I Dunno;Drop a card in mailbox on Thursday (northern IL),Stepson gets it Saturday in Hilo HI.Send a small priority package to Kentucky,takes 10 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Go Figure

My post office seems to do a very good job. Carrier will drive into my long driveway to deliver a package too big for my mailbox. I put up one of those extra large boxes to help reduce the times he needs to run in. If postage is due, he'll post the item and leave an envelope for me to pay the extra.

USPS is stellar here.

The hub and spoke system is what causes a letter for across town to travel 240 miles. However, there is no more efficient way to handle the kind of volume USPS handles. If there was a better way the airlines would use it, but they have been hub and spoke for decades. And before folks jump on the airlines, remember that their on-time record is carefully monitored and they are fined large amounts if they are late too many times.

Our service is very good here. And some mail is even delivered directly by the route handler, if applicable. My 8 year old wrote a letter to his grandmother this past Thursday, it went in Thursday's mail (picked up at 10:30). Grandma (my mom) lives up the road (and postal route) a few miles. She got the letter- with a cancelled stamp- that afternoon at 2:30.

My wife send letters to her sisters in SW mich and they get it the next day. They send something to her it takes 4 or 5 days to get it. I just tell her t is going uphill to get here. Our mail carrier always bring packages up the steps to us even if we go out to meet her.

The regular carrier does a good job. Only three known cases of lost mail in the last seven or so years.

The substitute carriers are laughable. They run 4-7 hours late, many times after dark and sometimes are a no-show. Reccently I saw the mail buggy pass the house 5 times in a twenty minute time frame. It had stopped at my box on two of those trips. I had nothing to send that day ( flag was not up ) and when I went to check for incoming there was nothing in the box.

We get great service here. Package to big for the box,our carrier puts it in one of the vehicles. I have been ordering green coffee beans from an outfit in Oakland Ca. every 5 or 6 weeks for several years now. As long as my order is in by noon Thursday, the package,(priority) is in my hands with Saturdays post here in central NY. Has never failed yet.

Excellent local service here at 62907. I've had a couple of ebay purchases that took a circuitous route and still arrived in an acceptable time frame.

It sucks here too. We also have contractors who deliver the mail. We have been battling with the regional postmaster for several years. Constantly getting other peoples mail and other people getting ours. We are in a battle with them at the moment. We never got our dividend check from Met-Life. Called them and they said that the check had been mailed out and cashed. This may get real sticky before it is done.
Loren

no complaints here move stuff pretty regular with them. biggest issues is no sub carrier. never have day off. would you like to apply sounds like you need to then you could get everything corrected.

Same here as the below responses that regular USPS carriers do a great job, substitutes are hit-or-miss (a couple of weeks ago I saw a substitute driver make three passes down our road trying to figure out what went where). Often USPS ends up doing the last-mile stuff for UPS and FedEx here, where they just drop it off at the local post office and our postal carrier does the rest.

When actually delivering to us UPS does a great job too, particularly given the odd and unwieldy stuff (wheels and tires, bundles of fruit trees, custom cedar lumber from a sawmill, etc.) that they've had to deliver to our place over the years. Only problem is that we're absolutely at the end of the UPS route so we often get stuff delivered long after dark.

FedEx is usually good but it seems that every time they pick a different door on a different building on the property and leave the package there. So I'll see the FedEx truck leaving and then have to go hunt for where the delivery went.

Amazon has from time to time experimented with using their own delivery service here, and it's sometimes been a bit of a mess. It appears that they'll wait a few days until they have accumulated enough packages that need to go out this way, and then deliver them all -- unless it gets dark before they finish, in which case they'll go home. And we have occasionally received an e-mail saying that their driver has been unable to locate our address and that we need to contact Amazon with alternative delivery instructions. And then I have to point out to them that there are only around a half-dozen houses on our road and if they can find the road at all they should have no problem finding our house.

Here in 21102 we get mail in a timely fashion,it's rare to get someone elses mail, they even deliver packages on Sat or Sun. If we aren't home they leave it on the front porch.

Yeah - the UPS driver got into the habit of dropping my packages in the back of my son's truck at his work place in town. Not a real big problem I guess, except for the times when son leaves his personal truck in town overnight and brings his work truck home. An unguarded package in plain sight in the back of a pickup is tempting to some people. When he left a new JD manifold up there, I decided to make a call to UPS. What would happen if a package was stolen in a situation like that? I imagine he marked it as delivered, but was he marking it delivered to the address on the package or the alley in town?

Mail service is good here had a letter sent to Larry and the mutt it got here.
Don't forget you can track your packages on line its interesting to see where they go to get someplace.
At work they send a truck out at 10.30 if the trucks not full everything gets tossed in no matter where it goes and then gets emptied and reloaded at a hub.I assume thats more efficient then putting it on the truck going directly to the area its being shipped.

Just got our credit card bill - with a hand-written note, "Not ours"... Meaning it was delivered to the WRONG house first. YIKES! Sure glad they were honest folks and put it back in the mail with a note instead of going on a shopping spree with OUR card account number.

Also P.O. delivered a package clearly addressed to me to someone else a few miles away. Completely different names... the recipient's address is a different town/zip code than ours. Fortunately the recipient knew who I was and where I work and dropped the package off at work for me.

NOT the P.O. but...
A month ago, received a tap and die set here that belonged to guy a few miles up the road. Called F-EX TWO TIMES before they managed to come and pick it up to get it to the people it actually belonged too. NOT IMPRESSED!

Sheeesh, Sheeesh AND Sheeesh!!!

Regular USPS service has been good for as long as I can remember, but in recent years things have changed with the route drivers, delivery can be 6PM or later sometimes. I find the neighbors mail mixed in mine more often. The rural route/contractors were never a problem in the past around here, not sure how it is currently.

Excellent service, if a parcel is to large for the mailbox the carrier delivers it to the house. Much better service than I get from Brown, UPS.

Your problems might be a local issue, bring them to the attention of your local postmaster. Our mail service is as good or better than it ever has been. We even see the mailman making some Sunday package delivers. It does seem odd that local mail travels a long distance to be sorted, but local mail still gets delivered the next day, the same as when it was sorted locally. The new system seems to be working here.

Not very good anymore in Spokane, Wa. For years I was getting other people's mail and they were getting mine. Local complaints had no effect. I finally wrote a letter of complaint the to the Post Master General. Since then, the deliveries have been much better. I got a letter from the local Post Office manager asking me to notify him of any further problems. I guess someone got slapped.

Received a package just 2 or 3 days after ordering. Had to come from New York.
Got the tracking information from USPO 6 days after the package had been delivered.
Something ain't right.

I shop a lot on line when it comes USPS it seems faster and is either in mailbox or brought to house, if by Fedex or ups a package can be anywhere on the place, wet, side of road what have you. When I ship USPS is faster and half the price. We have a great rural mail lady and if have to go in to Post Office they are great too.

Calling it "service" is a bit of a stretch here. Different carriers every day, some come early, some after I've gone home from work. Recent important letter from Kansas took 8 days to get here- arrived the day after it was needed. I have to send bill payments a week before due to avoid a late charge.

Apparently its not a very good job anymore. You used to have the same carrier for years- now its rag-tag kids, in jeans and T-shirt rather than "official" mail carrier togs. You see them for a week or two, then they're gone.

totally excellent. we ship and receive packages daily. Only time they miss is when we mess up and forget to call them. Small local post office is 6 miles away, when we mess up its a simple mater to drop the package off at the local office.

I can't complain about UPS or Fed-EX. If its raining UPS leaves note that they had package and won't leave it to get wet. Fed-EX has put packages in plastic bag.

One letter carrier is drunk and one is foreign. The drunk one is fine and the foreign one is totally wacky. I have seen the foreign one delivering on Sunday because she screwed up Saturday mail so bad.

Have had the same postal employee for years and years. Most always comes by around 11:00 in the morning. Helps if you treat your carrier right. A big bag of toll house Christmas cookies and a couple of little treats during the year. Summer time I make big batches of ice tea with orange juice. I can the stuff so it is like super duper Snapple tea. He gets a couple of ice cold jars now and then.

Been pretty good here but not looking good going forward!!! Post offices are doing this open 3 hour a day thing. (makes catching them hard) They seem to be starting this different carrier every day thing. Some are contract not an employee. So lots of mis-delivered mail etc.

I tell my clients to use Priority Mail and have had good luck with it. Two returns mailed from Florida on Tuesday were in my box on Thursday. Another return mailed first class, certified with signature required and also from Florida mailed on Monday took a week and a half to reach me. Our mailman will not bring those to the door. He left a slip on Friday which I signed and returned on Saturday. On Tuesday we called and asked where it was. Wednesday they delivered the wrong package. I think it finally came on Thursday. Another mailed March 6 via Deutchepost from a military base in Germany arrived here in just 6 days.

Not overwhelmingly happy with service here and it is much worse out to the farm.

I can't complain. It seems we get what we should when we should and the carrier will bring it to the house if it is too big to fit in the box when she could just as easy leave us a slip saying to come and get it at the Post Office.

I've had a post office box at the local post office for over twenty years. Yesterday I received notice that I have to submit a new application for the box, in person and with two forms of ID, because the one from 1996 was "too old." Nothing has changed, so I'm scratching my head on why I have to start from scratch in applying for a box when I already have one. Not too much of an inconvenience other than a trip to the post office as long as they don't start playing games and want to re-assign a different box, which would then be a major pain to do an address update for everyone who sends me mail.

Homeland Security may be pushing USPS to verify ALL P.O. box holders. I'd be very surprised if they change your box #.

It seems to vary with the carrier. Never have the same carrier for long anymore, evidently a lot of turn over.

Service at the post office is very good though. They even extend the hours if people are still coming in!

But, in the news a few days ago, there was a story from a town a few miles north of us, someone saw a mail carrier dumping mail in a ditch! Went and looked, there were piles of mail, bundles and loose, rain soaked paper that had obviously been there a while.

The carrier was fired, facing criminal charges.

The driver could get in trouble for that. If he delivers anywhere but the address on the package, the receiver has to sign for it. Local driver is a friend of mine, I told hm to drop at my parents farm across the road if my driveway is icy or too much snow. He said only if someone signs for it.

in Omaha, it's TERRIBLE! Packages could be anywhere! If the wrong recipient does not get it to the propper recipient, it does not get corrected!

My service sucks. I don't even mail b-day cards anymore. The delivery lady only seems to stop about once a week.

Same here. Our 'old' one retired and our new one is just as efficient. Both are Veterans, so maybe that makes a difference. We've even had packages delivered on Sunday! We appreciate their service and always include a special something at Holiday time. On Saturday, it's a different guy so not much interaction with him but still, no errors like some here claim.

Had a real dirtbag for a while. EVERYBODY around me it seems had called on him. My dad once found a small package they had been waiting for the post office to deliver for a couple weeks. It had been marked as delivered a week after it was delivered, but still no sign of it even another week later. Dad happened to find it sitting on the rear tire of a tractor in the back corner of his lean-to full of tractors. No houses or close neighbors nearby, dad figured he decided to go for a self guided tour after seeing their vehicles weren't there, and forgot and left it on the tractor in the lean-to. They were only gone during that period for an hour or 2 of a few days of that 2 week period. Dad called the post office and asked if it was normal for their carriers to look through the stuff of people that weren't home. They must have mentioned it to him, as he was delivering a package a couple days later and dad happened to walk around the corner of the house as he threw a package from his car on Tony he porch 20' away. That got him another call in, and nothing done. A friend called the local post office after the guy would seemingly hold mail, bills, medication, for an entire week, only stopping about once or twice a week, and then stuffing the mailbox full. After getting nowhere with the local PO on numerous occasions, he called the regional branch, in Grand Rapids I believe. That didn't seem to do anything either, so he finally gave up, and like the rest of us, just waited for his retirement. I had a problem with him throwing packages over my fence from the driveway onto the porch. He didn't notice me working on my garage roof when I took a day off. I lived with that. He then decided that he would start spinning out in the stone I have in the approach to the mailbox, to keep the mud off their vehicles. I fixed it each day to keep the stone off the pavement so cars wouldn't run over it. Then after about 2 weeks of him doing that everyday, I raked it into little humps for him to drive over, maybe let him think about it. The next day he literally brake torqued the entire length of that stone, which was packed solidly down into the gravel before he started tearing it up, and actually trenched the full length of the mailbox approach, throwing the stone into my yard. He then pulled into my driveway, spun up my driveway and had stone from my driveway entirely across the paved road in front of my house into the grass in front of my shop across the road, threw a package out the window onto the porch and spun out on his way out. I was working in my shop when he did it, and I normally don't get too worked up, but I was pretty ticked. I called on him, and his supervisor said she was sorry, and I told him that I knew every one of my neighbors and my dad's neighbors 5 miles away had called on him. She said they had had many complaints about him and would talk to him. I told that seemed to be working well since he hadn't changed the way he'd done anything, and that if I had 3 calls in on me for something I'd deliberately done, I'd be fired. Luckily that poor excuse of a worker retired finally this winter, so all of us neighbors don't have to sort and deliver the mail to each other anymore, after he just threw it in piles in each box with many different names on it. The new mail girl we have now is great! Real nice, polite, brings the packages up to the front door and knocks. Mail is here everyday around 11, rain or shine, she does a real good job.

My rural carrier is not very good. People on the route are always getting the wrong mail. My BIL who is a retired rural carrier and has the same carrier as I do complains about him also.

My carrier left a persons mail order prescription drugs in my box. I called the postmaster and complained. He said put the flag up and someone would be out that day to pick up the package and deliver it to the correct address. The next morning the package was still in my box.

I had a package that I tracked online. Tracking said it was out for delivery and later said it was delivered. I was waiting for the package that never showed up. I thought the package may have been delivered to the wrong address. I called the post office and inquired and the clerk said the package was still on the shelf and the carrier never took it out. He could not answer how tracking showed it was out for delivery and also delivered.

Get our mail via PO Box. We had postmistress that was total jerk. We also have E911 address. Some online companies will not ship to PO Box. I live in small town 200 population. Lived in same house 50 yrs. So she knew where we lived. She was over joyed when she could return a package to sender because it had E911 address witout PO Box number. I and several others called Washington DC Wrote letters to congressmen. Nothing. She is finally gone (retired). It's now a pleasure to talk with out new postmistress. We get all our mail now.

Great USPS service here. If the gate is open I get parcels at the back door. If closed at the gate but not out in plain sight. If raining, in a plastic bag at the gate. Deliveries usually ahead of schedule supplied by supplier of product.

To go to the counter and submit the paperwork they want I have to go during their business hours when I'm usually not around to do it. Just picking up mail can be done any day at any time. As someone mentioned, probably a Homeland Security requirement now.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back