Value of 2520 ?

I have a 72 (I think) 2520 gas with powershift 8 speed. It's the tractor I grew up raking hay on, and we always used to clean sheds with it, but since the invention of the telehandler, It's been reduced to just raking hay every summer, which it struggles with since the rakes have gotten bigger and bigger.

Engine was overhauled about 1000 hours ago, It has new rear tires, good fronts, and around 6,000 hours.... Also have a 148 loader on it.

We've been talking for a long time about trying to find a cabbed 4030 to replace it with to rake hay in the summer and to run a generator for cheap when power is down, but it doesn't make sense to buy one, and keep this one.... Question is, what's this old girl worth? The hood is in bad shape, and hail got the tach last summer, but aside from that, there's nothing that it needs.

Looking for some insight on weather it's worth trying to sell, or if I'm better off watching it's usefulness fade away? I'm afraid if the powershift ever went sour it wouldn't even be worth rebuilding against the value of the tractor?

Insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks

It's been a couple years now since I have seen late 2520 prices so I am a little concerned about commenting but I will try and others can comment or adjust my comments.

First, I suggest you get the serial number and check it for year, that is really important. You can check the serial number list on YTmag here. Since you don't know the serial number I will assume you might not know where the tag is. Facing the rear PTO shaft, the tag is at about 1:00.

Pictures would help. Does it have a dimmer switch button below the clutch pedal? How many lights are in each fender?

If it is a 71 or 72 Powershift they used to be in the $15,000 to $25,000 range for a diesel. A little less for gas a little more for a 72. A 72 Powershift diesel used to be the holy grail, may still be.

I have seen 72's with really mashed hoods, loader tractors, go for numbers in this range so don't let the hood bother you. If by chance you have a 69 or 70 the value will be a lot less but still good.

I have one of every year of the 2510 and 2520 so I used to track these pretty close. No, I don't have a holy grail sample, just not in my budget. I bought a 1972, synchro, gas to diesel conversion for $12,500 several years ago. I paid $13,000 for my 71, synchro, perfect original tin, diesel with an engine knock several years ago.

You can ask any auctioneer, whenever there is a 2520 on an auction bill the phone rings off the hook with people asking about it.

So, my comments may be a little dated so I am hopeful others will chime in. I get the sense the market may have gotten a little softer. But then again, I have not seen the holy grail sell lately.

Paul

just checked serial# and it's an early 1970 model 197XX-

Just looking the old girl over in the shed, the lights we replaced to all square halogens in place of the old 4 round ones on the front. The single rear one was replaced with a single halogen. They're all on the same wire and same switch. the oem switch was removed and replaced. Flasher is gone.

Single remote on RH side of seat. no dimmer switch.

Dad put ROPS on it when I was a young boy driving it (about 12) and the rake came unhitched while I was going down hill and the tongue came up between me and the fender. Luckily it didn't pin me to the steering wheel instead... The rops wouldn't have helped me, but it scared him into putting it on. He had rolled the '52 model A into a hole raking hay near a dam when he was a boy and lived to tell about it. the rear tire that landed on him spun him out of the hole before the tractor quit. Regardless, I have no emotional attachment to this tractor, mostly because I've always thought the gas engine was massively underpowered for the 8 speed powershift.

Another 4630 would do much more good for our fleet if I thought I could trade even steven for one.

As stated, the model year makes a big difference in the value of these. If you need a hood to sell it let me know. They are next to impossible to find but I do have an extra that I would part with.

Well, I doubt you'll trade even-steven.

Given it is a 1970 I can only tell you what I paid for mine. I have a 1970 gas, synchro, great sheet metal, relatively low (~4000) hours, used only for cultivation and I paid $7000 several years ago. It needs brakes, must have turned too often at the end of the field. :)

So, you are in that in-between area, 2520 and powershift are strong attractions but gas, square lamps, and rough sheet metal are still detractors on something less than a 71 or 72. If the rest of the tractor is solid, those are easy items to fix if you can find a hood, and some nice gentleman has offered you one. Or, if you want to sell it as-is I bet someone would love a 2520 Powershift and would see those items as easy fixes if the rest is solid.

Here's a link to the High/Low/Averages on Tractor House.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/priceinfo.aspx?ETID=1&catid=1110&Mdltxt=2520+*1968-1972*&Manu=JOHN+DEERE&mdlx=exact&bcatid=464&Thumbs=1&scf=false

They give auction and equipment sellers prices. This is the only other factual piece of data I can give you. Keep in mind these numbers will be buoyed up by the 71 and 72 models. The actual tractors offered for sale on Tractor house are asking prices, not sale prices. However, based on the asking prices here the 2520 is still perceived to have good value. If both in good condition your ROPS is worth $400-$700 and your loader I will guess $2000-$3500 if sold separately. Weights?

Not having seen the tractor I don't wish to guess any more. From here it is up to you, set higher price and wait for the right buyer or unload it more quickly at a lower price.

Good luck. Oh, and God Bless your father for caring enough to put that ROPS on there. Paul

I've seen a couple of fairly nice 2520 gas on craigslist in Indiana in the past 6 months. One with a loader was asking $8500 and one without loader also asking about the same. If the loader is decent, it is worth $3000+. The rest of the tractor should be worth any where from $6500--8500. I have seen at least 3 diesel synchros that could be had for about $12,000 or less. Now the diesel ps 2520 is a different game. I have not seen one of those for less than $15000, and the painted ones are more like 20--25. I don't know how much the ps adds to the value of the gas tractor, so it is kind of a wildcard. But unless you can find the right buyer it is much more likely to be sold for 8-10k than 10+. I'm no expert but I do search for 2520 and 2510 regularly just so I don't miss an opportunity in my own back yard!

Thanks for you guys's insight... did some checking on Tractordata.com, and it shows that there were oly 122 gas powershifts ever built. Diesel powershifts 356.

Granted the diesel option is better in my opinion, but maybe the rarity means something to someone.?

I'll think on it, I'm not sure I want to stick any more money in it cosmetically. I know there's a market for a 158 loader, but not sure about it's stubby little brother the 148.

We shall see.

The 2520 gas power shift would have collector value.The 148 loaders depending on condition[bucket size] joystick] bring 2500+.6000 hours would be less than average,the year would hurt some.A picture would help.If you put it on photo ads you will find out.For the difference I would rather have a 4040 than 4030D.Too many variables to give you a number.If it was a syngro $5K+

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back