Value of unrestored AC D14 ?? Looking to buy one.

First post on the AC boards, I just finished restoring a 1940 Ford 2N, and my next project could be an AC D14 that is located only 10 miles from me, sitting in a field. Owner says he drove it there 2 years ago and has not used it since. It was his fathers for most of its working life as an agricultural tractor. Lots of rust on sheet metal, but I can restore the tin. Let assume I cant get it started but the engine does turn over. Come with a vintage loader. Tires hold air, but tread is all gone and I will need to replace. No water in the engine oil. Wheels and rims are OK. Wish I had a photo for you. So my question is, what is a range that these unrestored AC D14s go for? Are they average collectable or rare? I am looking for a project tractor and I know in advance I will put far more into the tractor for the restoration than it will ever be worth, but I need some price guidance if I am going to purchase it. Thanks all, I know it is so hard to suggest a value without seeing a picture, but just imagine the "typical" old D14 sitting in a field.

Assuming it stays in all gears, and the hi-lo clutch works like it should, and the engine runs without noise or smoke, the hyd works, wide front, $1000 to 1500. Replacing gears in the trans or rebuilding the hi low clutch is way high.

They are always worth more money if they have factory power steering. Many don't have that feature, as it was an option. Same goes for a wide front axle......always worth more than a tricycle front end. Early models were 6 volts and later were 12 volts.

Has the wide front, not tricycle. Has power steering. Not running, so will have to trust the seller if it pops out of gear or not.

On something like that I'd check around my area for what I could buy one for that I could get on and drive on the trailer.Then figure what you know it needs to figure price.Transmission gears could make the whole project get totally out of hand cost wise and you can't check them or either clutch as it sits.There is a good reason it got drove out in the field and parked too
I'd be willing to bet.At any rate it depends on how much of a gambler you are and how bad you want it.Personally I'd buy what I can see like the good rims,good sheet metal,salvageable engine
parts etc.And of course the buying price is only the down payment.

My brother just bought one here in Ohio that basically just needs paint and a couple minor things for 2500. Good rubber,wide front,PS,good PD,and stays in gear. Got it from Mayer equip a Agco dealer that collects AC.

With no intention of being a smart alec it is hard to say what it is worth, somewhere between $200 a ton and ????. From the description it better be a cost no object project even if he gives it to you. Around here one can puchase a pretty decent D14 in good running condition for $2500. Have you priced tires and tubes? Engine kits, guages, rims rotted out? Transmission problems are common. As one other said a 6V narrow front no PS tractor is worth less than a 12V wide front with PS. No matter what Id be real cheap on one that had to be winched on a trailer with bad tires,,like $200 per ton. If you cant turn it over with the fan you might save yourself some grief by purchasing a cheap bore camera at Harbor Freight and pull the plugs and take a look inside, has the exhaust been covered?

In my opinion if it isn't running it is a parts tractor. You just don't know what is or isn't wrong if you can't run and drive it. Do you know and trust the owner? Was he the one who ran the tractor or did he just get it out of the barn and park it after buying the property? Even if it is stuck if the exhaust has been covered it MIGHT free up if it has only been parked for 2 years. What about the rims? If they are calcium rusted (and most of this damage is on the inside where you can't see it too good), spin out rims are expensive. As I said, both the seller and buyer have to understand not running is parts.

Thanks everyone. You A-C guys have a great forum. All the comments were really really useful for an A-C novice. Going to look at the tractor tomorrow (Sunday) with the owner. Think I will see if he is prepared to get it started, or at least turn over. Will take another look at the rims, Steiner has them for $500 EACH. Loaded tires have messed up vintage Ford owners as well. You guys gave me a lot of common sense and worthwhile pointers on what to look for specific to the D14. Will let you know if I pick it up or not. Thanks again, Larry.

Looked at the D14 today. One rear rim is shot, the other is a recent replacement, so that's one negative. But it comes with an AC 2 bottom plow, a 3 pt hitch conversion, a sickle mower, and a skip loader, that a positive. No battery, so I made no offer, seller will get a battery to start tractor, and if it starts, then I will make an offer. Does have a leak under the rear end, probably a bad gasket, and front wheels have plenty of side play, so new bearings and bushings needed there. Was converted to 12 V, recent clutch replacement, owner SWEARS tractor never popped out of gear. Brakes do not work well, I suspect a leaking axle seal but not certain. Anyway, no offer made as yet.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back