D14 Power Steering Motor

I rebuilt the power steering unit on my D14 ground up rebuild, but i didn't touch the power steering motor.
Figured if it had a problem, i could pull it after assembly. Looks like it has a problem. I have oil gathering
around the bottom of the pump, so thinking the external o-ring is bad where the pump hooks to the steering unit.

If i'm going to pull it, makes sense to replace a couple of seals internally that i see i can still get from AGCO.
Has anyone had experience rebuilding these? Like everything else on this tractor, experience seems to rule.
Thanks for any tips if you've been there.

(quoted from post at 04:25:06 11/30/23) I rebuilt the power steering unit on my D14 ground up rebuild, but i didn't touch the power steering motor.
Figured if it had a problem, i could pull it after assembly. Looks like it has a problem. I have oil gathering
around the bottom of the pump, so thinking the external o-ring is bad where the pump hooks to the steering unit.

If i'm going to pull it, makes sense to replace a couple of seals internally that i see i can still get from AGCO.
Has anyone had experience rebuilding these? Like everything else on this tractor, experience seems to rule.
Thanks for any tips if you've been there.
Help me clarify what you're seeing. There is a "pump" mounted to the engine under the ignition distributor/governor. It provides oil flow down to the "steering control valve", which is connected to the steering wheel on the left side under the generator. The steering ram (hyd cylinder) is underneath the pump and provides the power to do the steering from the control valves signal. The steering ram is connected to the steering gearbox under the radiator which makes the wheels turn. So, where is the leak ??? and is this a wide front end or a narrow front end ???

The steering motor pump is what the parts book calls this. It is the pump directly below the distributor above the
steering ram (right side of tractor). This is a wide front end. Parts manual says the 14' is supposed to have an oring that
goes between the pump and the front support, but the parts book shows one of these paper gaskets. Oil is gathering on the bottom of this pump.
I am struggling trying to figure out exactly where it is coming from. Fittings above are dry, so left to guess that this pump is leaking.
If the pump is pulled, logic says put new seals in it.

(quoted from post at 04:57:59 11/30/23) The steering motor pump is what the parts book calls this. It is the pump directly below the distributor above the
steering ram (right side of tractor). This is a wide front end. Parts manual says the 14' is supposed to have an oring that
goes between the pump and the front support, but the parts book shows one of these paper gaskets. Oil is gathering on the bottom of this pump.
I am struggling trying to figure out exactly where it is coming from. Fittings above are dry, so left to guess that this pump is leaking.
If the pump is pulled, logic says put new seals in it.
If the power steering is working well, leave that pump alone !! There are no parts available for it. Your leak must be the 70233207 mounting gasket, which would be a motor oil leak. The pump itself has no gaskets and one shaft seal behind the drive gear, but as I said leave it alone.

Thinking you are right . Book says an o-ring, parts manual says a gasket, so either way i'm hoping the leak may be a fixable by leaving the pump
pressed together, and just pull it and replace the gasket, start it and see what happens. Hate to go thru all the work of a rebuild and still have a leak
in the P.S. unit.

(quoted from post at 17:48:53 11/30/23) Thinking you are right . Book says an o-ring, parts manual says a gasket, so either way i'm hoping the leak may be a fixable by leaving the pump
pressed together, and just pull it and replace the gasket, start it and see what happens. Hate to go thru all the work of a rebuild and still have a leak
in the P.S. unit.
Technically, there were two brands of power steering pumps for those tractors. So, one may have been a mounting gasket and the other brand may be an Oring. Kind of depended if it was factory installed or later on by a dealer in the field.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back