Very Slow Hydraulics

RedMF40

Suddenly on my Massey loader tractor it's very slow to respond, either lifting or lowering the boom. Bucket curl is a little better. 3 pt arms work normally. If I throttle up I can get a bit more speed but it's still very slow either up or down. Power remains the same, I can still lift and move things around.

I don't know much about hydraulics, would appreciate any suggestions. I've replaced a lot of hoses and the fluid and filter but that was about six months ago and it's been working normally until now.

Thanks in advance, here are some visuals of the tractor if that's of any help. Gerrit

mvphoto92739.jpg

mvphoto92740.jpg

The pressure in hose from the tractor might have a internal failure causing a restriction. They can act like a heart valve. swop it with a
different hose to check that. Reversing the hose (end to end) can also diagnose a bad hose. Jim

Thanks, I like the blockage theory. The reason is when the tractor is turned off and the boom is raised, it's still very difficult to lower. I think that would support a blockage rather than a pump issue. The filter is fairly new along with all the fluid, changed it within last six months. Gerrit

About has to be a restriction in the return circuit being slow to drop not
running.

Is the pump laboring and getting hot?

Steve, it's an internal pump. Don't know if it's getting hot or struggling. Tractor runs normally except for the slow hydraulics. I do have the shop manual and it outlines some troubleshooting and adjustments. Just looked at that after posting here. Gerrit

(quoted from post at 07:50:14 06/02/22) Is there a diverter valve to switch from 3 point to loader?

Is it turned fully to loader?

No diverter valve but get this: hydraulics now work normally. I just moved some fill dirt around and everything is operating at normal speed. I can shut off the tractor and lower the loader like before. Wonder what would explain this brief and sudden vacation from working normally? Too hot? Yesterday was mid-90s, today is much cooler. Never been an issue before, however. Thanks for the suggestions, it'll give me something to look for if it happens again. Gerrit

"Is there a diverter valve to switch from 3 point to loader?"

Good one Steve, was going to suggest that myself. Almost embarrasing when that happens...

(quoted from post at 07:50:14 06/02/22) Is there a diverter valve to switch from 3 point to loader?

Sorry, YES on the diverter valve. There are two controls for the 3 pt and I wasn't fully understanding the function of one of them. It must have gotten pushed forward a little. I just tested this and the loader would not work when I fully engaged the diverter. It is embarrassing but it'll help me when this happens in the future. Thanks again for the help. Gerrit

(quoted from post at 09:42:56 06/03/22)

Sorry, YES on the diverter valve. There are two controls for the 3 pt and I wasn't fully understanding the function of one of them. It must have gotten pushed forward a little. I just tested this and the loader would not work when I fully engaged the diverter. It is embarrassing but it'll help me when this happens in the future. Thanks again for the help. Gerrit
At Lease it was and easy and cheeep fix.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back