Wasps and Mud Dobbers

ohfred

You know with all the genetic stuff going on today, why couldn't someone marry wasps and mud dobbers together and come up with a stingless wasp....and figure out how to make them dominant. Sounds like a good idea to me...as I just cleaned out a nest from the cover on the propane tank so I could see how much I have...to get in on the summer deal...if you want to call it a deal at $2.75 a gallon. (Southern Ohio)
PS I reckon you will suggest crossing the wasps with fishin worms so as to just sting the fish and make them come to the surface...LOL ohfred

Or (my Luck) a nasty/kind variety that gives a horrible sting but puts a mud poltice on it for you!? JimN

You're motivations are pretty good there, fred, but given man's record with introducin' foreign species, whether accidently or on purpose, I have real reservations about him engineerin' entirely new species. As for cross-breedin', the mule worked out pretty well, and there's something to be said for the increased yields of hybrid grains, but I'm a pretty firm believer in not tamperin' with mother nature too much. I don't line up with the folks that view the development of hybrids as genetic engineering, but I think there's a limit to how much real engineering we can do before Mother Nature bites back. Just as an example, I don't expect it'll be too many years before the noxious weeds start to develop a Roundup resistance all on their own.

In the meantime, I've found the Tat wasp and hornet spray to be pretty effective. ;8^)

Mud dobbers do sting just takes a lot to make them mad enough to do so. Now as far as messing with them in the way you say thats not a smart thing to do. Doing things like that is why we now have a problem here in the U.S. with killer bees because we took them out of where they came from and took away what kept them in check.
Hobby farm

I agree about them stinging. I have had one sting me in between my fingers. It hurts a little, but not much different than a sweat bee from what I remember.

Well, so much for my brainstorm for the day...but, anyhow, went to the propane supplier and it was $2.569 so I told them to fill it up and anytime before winter...again southern Ohio ohfred

Just means you didn't get the full sting. When they do sting and sting hard you know it 100%. They sit down a lot harder then a wasp when they do sit down. BTDT and boy do they sit hard when they sit down

Rule #1: Always check for red wasps before turning the valve on the fuel bowl of a tractor.

Rule #2: Always replace the old work sock on the air stack to keep out the mud dobbers.

<a href="http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa5/jameslloydhowell/John%20Deere%20Equipment/Uncle%20Earl/?action=view&current=IMG_1732.jpg" target="_blank">
IMG_1732.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket
</a>

Actually, killer bees were the result of cross breeding European honey bees and African honey bees in South America. It was done on purpose in hopes of producing honey commercially in warmer climates. Turns out it was not such a smart idea.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back