Water in Oil - 1958 420T

schmevin

New User
Helping a friend with this tractor. Person he bought it from said the engine was rebuilt about 3 years ago. Was running fine and now suddenly getting water in the oil. We took it apart and cant find any cracks, etc.
Cylinders look brand new. Is there any type of internal plug, etc. that could have failed and is letting water/coolant into the oil?

Any and all help is appreciated.

No internal plug .. Take a good look at the head gasket for a break between the
cylinder fire ring and a coolant passage way.. Do you know if the head bolts were in fact
TORQUED????

Gasket looked good. Not sure about torque. With the head off we put coolant in the holes on the top of the block. In about an hour the level had gone down about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

So did you have the oil drained and the plug out? That much should definitely been running out of the oil plug unless for some reason the level was equalizing in the radiator which would be odd. Sounds to me like you need to pull the oil pan to see where it is coming from. Quite unfortunate on a newly acquired machine with a somewhat recent engine overhaul.

He had the oil pan pulled and we couldn t tell where it was coming from. Guess we will need to start digging further into it.

Sometimes a guy gets lucky. I bought a JD 420W and noticed it seemed to be making oil so loosened the drain plug and sure enough drained about a cup or two of antifreeze. I thought, what the heck do I have to lose so I got some sealer from JD, added it to the radiator, changed oil and filter, ran the tractor to operating temp and it sure enough cured it. Head gasket leak? This was about 4-5 years ago and still no antifreeze in crankcase. Heck, it could start leaking again tomorrow.

I had an M do the same thing. Found a small break in one of the coolant passages on the head gasket. I'd bet money that's where your problem is. Good Luck!
John

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back