WC starter switch

Normspeed

New User
I have two working starter motors for the WC. One had the starter switch in place (the mechanical switch) but didn't seem to work. I bought an aftermarket switch and it doesn't seem to work either. Both starters work fine if you remove the switch and touch the battery cable to the stud. I must be missing something simple here but don't know what it is. With the switch in place it either seems to make no contact at all, or if it makes contact it just sizzles like a dead short. Both switches act the same. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm using a 12 volt battery.
 
Mechanical switch? Take it off the starter and clean it up. Should work fine. File the copper contacts. 12V battery should turn the starter twice as fast as a 6v, making for easy starting.
 
Look under the case of the replacement switch. Frequently there is an adjustment nut. If there is an adjustment nut - you can lower the push button so that it makes contact with the opposite post on the starter.

And again - sometimes there is not adjustment on these types of replacement starter switches.
 
Thanks guys. What I ended up with for now was to isolate the switch from the starter case with a gasket and isolated the mounting screws from the switch with nylon washers and spacers. It fixed the problem although I'm new at this and don't know if that should be required. Starts fine now.

Seems I'm getting continuity between the 12V lug and the starter housing with an ohmmeter, with nothing hooked up and the switch removed. Until I isolated the switch housing, I was getting a dead short when I engaged the starter.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top