WD45 Weird Radiator Overflow Problem

John_B

Member
I have a WD45. Been chasing a weird problem since I bought this tractor this summer. The radiator loses antifreeze out the overflow tube but only does it after putting a load on it like after plowing or disking. Won't do it while brushhogging or othe light work. Has a new 8 PSI cap and new temp gauge from Steiner Tractor. The neck in the radiator looks fine where the cap seats. According to the gauge it doesn't even run at normal temp until it's loaded and even then it's still in the green area and never overheats. Have flushed the cooling system and replaced with 3 1/2 gallons of fresh 60% mix. It had head work done on it before I bought it and runs fine. I havn't checked the thermostat, could a missing thermostat cause this? Anyone know of a radiator pressure testor that will work on this tractor?

Thanks.
 
I think Snap on, Mac, and others sell a cap tester kit, but one thing, here. Try running the fluid at an inch over the top of the tubes, sometimes a tractor just needs a little more expansion room. It could also be that your radiator core is clogged, not the fins, but the core. I just put a new radiator core in a D-15, and it made a world of difference in the amount of fluid blow out at the overflow pipe.
 
John, a missing thermostat would not cause this problem. I tend to agree with Dave. Check the level after it has cooled down. If it is still over the fins, you"re OK.
 

My WD-45 always slobbers from the over-flow pipe..IF I have added too much coolant..

Never fill the radiator (Cool, not Hot) to more than 1/4" above the baffle under the radiator cap.
Anything more and it will drip out the over-flow when it gets really working hard..
As long as you can touch some coolant with your finger (about 1/4"), it is fine..

Ron.
 
Agree fully with the other posters. Working with tractors in tobacco in the summer would note the coolant level. As long as coolant was visible and you had no leak/overheating problems everything was OK. When you added water sometimes it would blow out the overflow hose.
 
Hi,on a WD-45 radiator,the neck that the cap goes onto is longer than typical radiators,a standard cap will not seal properly,I could get a measurement if you require?
 
I agree with the other guys. My ED45s (Yes multiple I dont know what is was thinking lol) are always dumping something out of the overflow as they work. The allis motors always run hot comparativly ro a IH or deere (well new style Deere otherwise it would have a thermoshypion). All of mine like I said have always spewed out of the overflow as the get hot. I run no Thermostats in any of mine. Now when i say that i am not trying to start a whole discussion on that subject but we only use them in the summer and allow them to warm before use. I wouldnt worry to much about it as long as it isnt losing 1/2 the radiator at a time. Good luck

Jay
 
I agree with the other guys. My ED45s (Yes multiple I dont know what is was thinking lol) are always dumping something out of the overflow as they work. The allis motors always run hot comparativly ro a IH or deere (well new style Deere otherwise it would have a thermoshypion). All of mine like I said have always spewed out of the overflow as the get hot. I run no Thermostats in any of mine. Now when i say that i am not trying to start a whole discussion on that subject but we only use them in the summer and allow them to warm before use. I wouldnt worry to much about it as long as it isnt losing 1/2 the radiator at a time. Good luck

Jay
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top