wd6 help and info

HI. I am talking to a guy on Facebook who has a wd6. He wants to trade for my Farmall BN. Does anyone know the figure #s? Worth it still? It took me 5 yrs to even find a BN in my area. These standards are much easier to find. Anyways he bought it & it was left outside when he got it without a muffler. So the engine is sized. but put has already kept putting fluids in the cyls to try and soak it too free up. It was converted to 12v he thinks... but I read online that the diesel came 12V from the factory using twin 6v batteries. Is this true? I am aware of the rarity & how parts are to come by as well as the cyl heads cracking. It has a factory swing hitch on it and doing research from the few images i can find online very few seem it had them. The only item he mentions that is missing is the Starting tank (Gas) Fuel Strainer or petcock.

Where can i get parts? Rebuild kits, Pistons/rings, sleeves, and/or Liners, Clutch/Pressure plates, Starter? and the biggest thing is a Shop that knows the Injectors/pumps!? This tractor has a Magneto on it. I assume F4/H4?. What are the impossible, unobtainable parts? What all do i need to know about these, what should i be careful with. If i can get it unstuck and running. I have wanted one of these for years. It would be used on my family blue berry orchard farm. Thanks. :D

WOW, do you watch a thing called you tube,there was a guy on there, that went threw a MD, i mean every nut and bolt,restoration, that would be a good source for you to watch,and gain knowledge,It's a Few Acres Farm, his name is Pete,not a trained mechanic but very good and through, in my opinion, he tells where he got the parts. That was his Dads MD, in running condition!

I'd walk and not look back on a trade like that. The WD6 will cost a goodly sum to get running and fix up like you may want it. I would figure junk price for the WD6 and consider your value of the B/N.

Yes i watch FarmerPete and he did an excellent job on it, I need to time later today to shoot him an email and ask about his parts vendors.

The B/BNs do not sell very well in my area I have seen completely restored ones for $1500 - 2000. nor are they really popular. My aim was to find a B Culti-Vision as my grandfather had. But i ended up with this BN with a very janky 12v conversion on it. The sheet metal on it is ROUGH vs the WD6 is pretty straight.

This post was edited by OleIronKyle53 on 04/11/2022 at 04:02 am.

The diesel pump wont be a problem, there are shops around that can get parts//service! Correction, it should of been thorough !!

Bad idea. Sell your B, save a few more bucks and
buy a WD6 that runs, if you want one that bad. The
engine damage is an unknown quantity as it is. If it
were in a freezing climate with an open exhaust, the
cylinder likely split, which in turn cracks the bore in
the block.

Wow, more butchery here than FarmALL Pete talks about in his videos on his channel JUST A Few Acres Farm. LOL

Farmall Pete is a member here, comes on occasionally.

But I agree, a running BN for a seized, condition unknown WD6 is a BAD BAD deal.

If it sat out without a muffler it's full of water. If it's full of water, pouring magic potions in it is a waste of time because the oil floats on the water. It will need to come apart, and it's probably a mess inside.

My bad, i could not remember the channel name. Lol.
Yes it could be a bad deal. When i had bought it in dec, of 2020. I have not done much with it since. Cleaned out the fuel tank and then fixed it only to have put 1/2 a gal of fuel into it and now it has all gone and evaporated or leaked...??? man i don't know.

the bn may also be stuck. i bought a hand crank for it but Doe NOT budge...

I will talk to him later today and then see if it's worth it. as i said my BN may be stuck also. been such crappy weather the last few weeks here in lower Michigan hard to find the motivation to get out and work on it... otherwise i will post on the forum if i am allowed to ask about the value on it.

Yep i am aware of this. I have looked on the web and it seems you could have ordered an optional swing drawbar. which this has.

the wd6 in that condition is a 500 dollar tractor depending on the tires. yes they came with 2 6 volt battery's. left with out the muffler
covered is a very bad deal. and if it sat like this for a year or two that engine will cost 4 times as much to rebuild as the whole tractor
is worth. better be prepared for a few thousand in the head as it will be cracked. pretty safe to say this. i have a running engine in a
tractor i would sell with the bosh pump on it. 1k for it.

Same engine as the MD. The diesels had two six volt batteries for 12 volts from the factory. My dad had a wd9. It had a swinging drawbar. Seems odd a swinging
drawbar would be an extra on a wd6.

Un-covered exhaust? I'd put my dollar
down, that it is severely froze.

After a tare down (or a partial tare
down), you may very likely find that
it would make more sense to part it
out, rather than fix it up. Just so
you know. Be... buyer be ware on
that.

I never did like the idea of trading
different things, even up. Maybe in
this case, it wouldn't make much
difference (If your tractor is in the
same shape as his). You say yours
might be froze up too. If not (your
engine is free), I would not even
consider this trade.

If you need a tractor buy one that runs. If you don't need a tractor but want to fix one up, fix the BN. Neither can make any money at all. The WD6 will loose money and be a
sore spot in your life for years. They are unhandy and unless you intend to show it (spending upwards of 10,000 to make it right) and wish to do that kind of thing OK. It is too
heavy to drag around without a serious trailer and tow vehicle. There is mild interest in the gas start diesel run engine, but 99.9% of the lookers at displays could care less.
the BN will make a similar impression but cost a fraction of the WD6 to dress out and haul. If you have a place to do the work, the BN should be there now. Jim Jim

Thanks for the replies fellas! i think I'll take an L on it and fix my BN. I looked on reliance tractor parts and just for a set of 4 pistons with rings and liners, it's well over $3,800... A new wire harness was almost $400 and the Headgasket set alone was nearly $350. It is a shame... but i can do with it for now.

If reliance is 3800 what would a NOS sleeve and
piston set be worth? I paid $625 for a set in 1989....
never put them in anything after all these years.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back