Weak Hyd. Pump, 170 Allis

I have a 170 Allis with a weak hyd. pump. How do you tell if it's a double or triple pump? How hard is it to rebuild one? Any good tips on rebuilding one? Is there someone that will rebuild them or has them to exchange. Is there a replacement pump that can be used? Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
 
triple stack pump should have three output lines - steering, lift/remote, and traction booster. Most tractors were delivered with triple pumps. Nothing complex about repairing them if one is familiar with stacked gear pumps in general. Seal kits and bearings should be readily available. Bearings are Torrington roller type, 1" I.D, I think(may be cheaper at a bearing house than from AGCO.)
 
Thanks for the info. I think I can get a kit and install it. Is there anything in the pump I should look for that might be worn out other than the items in the kit..?? Also, is Hygrade (sp) a good hyd. fluid to use??
 
It's been decades since I've been in one of them. The wear plates, fancy seals that go behind them, etc. were common. What I would be concerned about this many years later is the soft (aluminum I think) metal housing around the gears.
 
If the bearing surfaces on the shafts don't look too bad and you replace the bearings and seals, you should get enough flow to funtion. They are kind of tricky to assemble, as the many seals and plates tend to push each other apart and out of alignment. Clamp the back section in a vise and assemble it in a vertical stack, that seems like what I remember. (been a long time) Don't be scared if the input shaft gets hard to turn when you finally get the bolts tightened to the final stages, it most likely will require a good size pair of channel locks and some effort to rotate. I like to keep turning the shaft as the bolts are gradually tightened down, just to make sure everything is properly in place and the gears are able to turn. If at some point, the shaft locks up, it's best to catch it before fully tightening the bolts, bending or breaking something. Don't use a lot of oil on the parts as you assemble as it just adds to the resistance by taking up space. Just wiping things down some with oily fingers should be sufficient. Remember to pour some oil into the intake and turn it a few revs just before install to help pick up suction.
 
The pump is an aluminum model, made for Allis
by Webster Electric,(a reputable hydraliic pump
manufacturer) of Racine Wisconsin. The problem,
with loosing pressure, is that, with bearing wear
the gears cut into the aluminum pump case, and cause's spaceing which allows oil to bypass at
the gear tips! YES, you can get a seal kit, and
wearplates, and bearing,BUT after spending that
money...what you've got is new parts in a WORN
OUT pump case. OPEN up your pump, and examine
the gear tips, and the houseing, and SEE where they've cut the case! NOW..don't throw good money
after bad..bite the bullet and buy a new pump..
BIG BUCKS ? OH, all of that metallic particles
is circulating throughout your system, causing
other parts to wear. Change your hydraulic filter
for sure, and, if you're prudent, your fluid too!
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top