weekend of fun

Only a "tractorhead" would understand....
Spent the whole weekend in the shop with my old Ford 601.
The steering box that Mr John Smith sent me got in on Wednesday.Got the sheet metal stripped off on Thursday night with the help of my neighbor and set it aside. Got off work at lunch Friday, went out to the shop, put on the 90"s country station on XM radio and got down to it.
Replaced the steering box and pitman arms (someone had welded one of the arms on the old box and I would have to have replaced the sector shaft, pittman arm and bearings. Decided to get a rebuilt box from Mr John. Good decision)Decided to rewire while I had sheet metal off. Why?
The existing wiring was really interesting. Someone had wired in a car solenoid and insulated it from the tractor. The starter switch grounded out the bracket and made it work..decided to remove all existing wiring and custom make a new harness.(Thanks to you all for the help and advice in this)
Got the wiring going and noticed a fuel leak from a seam in the tank. Tank had been patched a couple of times and was sealed with an unknown sealant. Ordered a new tank from YT.Went to local mom and pop parts store for new 6 volt solenoid.
Finished wiring. Everything works!! Took a spin around the yard. Steering now feels like a new tractor.
Did a good cleaning while she had the hood off and then decided to do a few more things while I waited for the tank.
Painted exhaust pipe and manifold with hi temp paint, painted the heat shield with some hitemp reflective silver on the muffler side, removed the tank supports, sanded and repainted them, and removed and painted the fan.
Checked the valve adjustment.
Went by mom and pop parts store and got 40 inches of steel brake line. Will bend, cut and flare when new tank gets here Monday or Tuesday.
When the tank gets in, I plan to mock up for fit, check fuel line and then spray tank with some red rustoleum before bolting it in.
Hope to get it together tues or Wed. night.
Thanks again for all the tips and advice. I especially appreciate the wiring diagrams posted on various sites, especially the ones posted by the guy on myfordtractor.com.
I could not have done this without help from the forum members.
thanks
Bill

Good post Bill,
Sleeves rolled up and a will to work.
Kind of like mission creep though aint it?
But you'll have a good runner and it'll all be worth it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back