Weekend work

jon f mn

Weekend started Friday after work with a little plowing. Didn't get all the plowing done last fall because of all the rain, so some had to be done this spring. Not the best way to do things in this clay, but you do what you have to. It's actually early for here since April planting is not the norm here. And it is drier than it ever got last year, so that is good. Anyway, some plowing with the 1030 and 6-16 case plow.

cvphoto2965.png

cvphoto2966.png

Saturday my grandson Randell came over because he wanted to learn how to drive tractor. So he got on the 830 and disc. The 830 with Case-O-Matic is the perfect tractor for that because the clutch takes almost no effort and it will stop by just letting off the gas. Plus with power steering and decent brakes it's about as good as it gets for that. Anyway these pics are his first solo run after I got off.

cvphoto2967.jpg

cvphoto2968.jpg

He had a blast and really did a fine job. Sunday we even got to work together in the same field, him on the 830 and disc and me on the 1030 and cultivator. He rally thought that was something. Lol.

cvphoto2969.jpg

cvphoto2970.jpg

Planted corn with the 830 and planter I rebuilt last year.

cvphoto2971.jpg

cvphoto2972.jpg

Still a few acres left that were too wet yet and supposed to get rain on Tuesday, so we will see if I can get done next weekend. This is early for us anyway, so no rush.

Really nice and you had the opportunity to teach someone
equipment operation. A word of caution/advice though, everybody
running tractors should have hearing protection on. Don't ask me how I know.

You can pull 6-16 with 100 hp tractor? I used to run 4-18 with 145hp, and that was a pull some years. I?m hoping the 210hp tractor can pull the 6-16 on land I just got.

I got started on corn Sunday, put in 20 acres. Wife was field cultivating on Saturday, until I touched the rig and a hyd hose blew. Of course, Saturday at 4:30, and it had JIC 3/8 inch fittings, farm store I could piece together the 22 feet and one end to the pioneer fitting, but they of course were out of 3/8 inch email fittings we looked the display over for half hour and couldn?t find a way to adapt through.

Off tot he better hyd rebuild place now.

Paul

Glad to see you are getting some spring work done. Still pretty cold and wet here in upstate NY. I bet you have a good helper for life. I would have felt pretty great running a tractor that size at your grandsons age. Thank you for the update and pictures.

Ground worked up real nice....good job. As far as the comments about a 1030 pulling 6x16's, it's all about soil! In my area when you dropped the plow in the ground you would hit your head on the steering wheel. Sure is good to see the next generation working in the field. Thanks for posting.

Thanks Jon for the pictures. Nice job with the Grandson. I still cannot believe you can pull that six bottom plow. I assume it is six-16's.

I get such a kick out of how you can make take older equipment and make it work for you. Your skills are really fabulous.

Paul

It is too much in my ground, I have a 4-16 that would go good but broke a spindle on it. Plus in spring you don't want to go too deep here anyway. And you would have a hard time finding harder clay than I have.
Plowing

Great pictures and video. I could never keep the front end on the ground pulling 5 bottoms with a 2 wheel drive tractor. Often the tractor would loose all forward motion and just rare put like it was going to go over backwards.

I have about $160.00/acre in seed, fertilizer, and chemicals so at 100bu/acre yield I should clear about $140.00/acre. I would expect a higher yield than that, but this ground is not capable of 200bu yields except in rare years. I don't consider land costs because I would own that anyway. If I rent or buy more just to farm then I'll add that to the cost. I also don't count the equipment costs because I would have that anyway and figure it as my hobby. My live stock is paying out nicely since it is on a small enough scale right now to direct market everything. I've sold all my hogs at $300.00 each and the steer sold for $1200.00 and I kept a quarter. Of the other four two are sold at the same price but they won't be ready til fall.

It's not enough to live on since I'm small scale, but it more than pays for itself and helps out with the bills and I enjoy it.

And that Jon is the absolute right attitude. You are doing what you want, on a scale that a fella can do without taking on crazy risk or debt. And make a few dollars and get a great deal of satisfaction from doing what you like and want to do. Most hobbies cost $$ , your hobby not only pays cash dividend but also can give a tremendous amount to your grandkids by being able to learn things and share good times/struggles with you. The kind of base to build strength of character in a child, that is rarely available for most folks today. And hey, you are doing a nice job of farming that place too ! All the best , Bruce

Good you can see your way clear and still enjoy things.About like me I have the farm anyway and keeping some livestock gives me a good reason to make hay with my old tractors and equipment.Keep thinking I need to cut back
but really no reason to having more enjoyment from it all than ever in my life.Plus being a farmer a lot of advantages tax wise both local and federal.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back