Welding rod challenge question

kyhayman

Well-known Member
I thought I knew rods and technique but I'm stumped on a project. Repairing a dozer blade/replacing the side plates. The blade face has been welded at the factory onto the blade sides. These sides are worn through. I'm trying to fit a side plate of half inch by 2 inch 'special alloy'. The alloy is a high manganese, phosphor steel with a high nickel content (its unsprung railcar leaf spring stock). I can weld the alloy fine with a 6011 AC or 7018 DCEP but I cant get either one to stick satisfactorly to the blade face which Im guessing is a very high carbon alloy thats fairly thin. The 6011 does fair but the 7018 just isnt getting it on the face metal.
 
try inconel rod. It's used for welding stainless to carbon steel. The carbon steel we welded to had a fair amount of nickle in it. The pieces were welded together for use in industrial boilers.
 
I had a problem with welds holding on disc blades I was useing for a pedestal base. I would weld but as it cooled the weld would crack out of the disc. Local welding instructor said use 7018 and preheat with oxy-act. first and it worked.
 
A few years ago the fabrication company I worked for decided to go after some work that used manganal steel. It was a high manganese steel and was a huge pain to work with. We used electrodes from Stulz-Sickle and you could lay down good bead with good penetration. That was on 3/8 and 1/2 inch plate mostly. Your welding supply house could most likely supply them but I've included a link. Preheating sounds like a very good idea.
Manganese steel supplier
 
Talk to a good welding supply. 6011 is not the rod to use. You need to use a specialty rod and if there is high manganese content, it can't be over heated. Dragline buckets are often manganese steel and must be welded with the proper rods and technique. Dave
 
Do what Dave said.[Ask supply house]There are specialty rods for this.They will also list the final hardness in Rockwell and Brinell scales if speced by an engineer.[or for your own curiosity.]There must be info on web also but I dont know manufacturers names myself.
 
Use a Cronatron 704 rod. I use them when I'm welding AR-400 wear plate to buckets. They have a 100,000 psi. tensile strength, and they are made to weld dissimilar metals.
 
Hi kyhayman,

Without knowing more about your metal composition, the precentage amounts, Alan probably has a good suggestion with 309 series electrodes but NO vertical down welding.

I would also suggest a preheat of 500º, lead wheel weights melt at approx 500º, then weld, then cool slowly. This method works well on both high carbon and nickle steels.

Lay in the root pass tacks then let cool then see what the tacks do. If you still have the cracking after tacking, stop at this point and we need to rethink the problem. If your tacks don't crack, then your good to go.

T_Bone
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top