Welding test tommorow

dr sportster

Well-known Member
I have been waiting to get on a job at Hess Oil for a few weeks .The high voltage splicer there told me he had 600 terminations left to do. He needed help. I get a call yeterday to go there as a WELDOR. Aaaahhh wrong guy. A splicer was on the out of work list ahead of me and he got the splicers call. They already don't like him becuase he is slow and they have quotas. Thats not reaLLy my business anyway. Now I have to pass the welding test or be gone. I have not collected unempoyment for years. Guess I'll go watch my welding dvd on test taking. Splicing is sitting work welding is carrying cables .steel rod ,fire extinguisher ,hood gloves much harder on my knees. Well I failed the test once at Public Service. This test does not require the same level of skill as PS. It is still making me nervous which is the worst way to take a test . Relax. I think I'll go make some coupons in my basment. If you cheat the inspector can tell you werent in the proper position by looking at the coupons.Drug test first.
Open for testing tips. Might be MIG
 
A good night's sleep, if possible, and not too much caffeine on the morning of the test. Maybe it would take some of the pressure off if you can keep in mind that passing a test that will lead to a job that's going to be hard on your body is not an unmixed blessing. There's something to be said in favor of not getting a job like that.

Good luck, dr.

Stan
 
You will be ok.

Before you start welding just take a few good deep breaths relax and clear your mind then start your test.
 
I have given a bunch of them. My advice is beware, pride goeth before the fall. Many a golden arm bit the dust by getting cocky...
 
Have some practice plates ready so you can set your heat and let the machine warm up a bit. The closest your practice plates are to the test plates is the best. I don't know of any welding test where they don't let you try the machine out to get used to it. Every welding machine is different. Don't be in a hurry and stop if it's not going right. Welding tests are usually about 50% skill and 50% nerves. Try to pretend it's just a routine weld. If it's MIG, make sure to weave side to side to get good fusion at the edges.
 
Dr Sportster, I won't tell you to relax, because a little bit of pressure makes each of us do our best, yet keep things in focus. Is this a job that you are able to do? If so, that's all you need to prove. This isn't some NASA screening process to weed out everyone but the best 3 welders worldwide. I gather from what you say that this test is not even a competition. If you pass, you have the job. It isn't as if a candidate will be selected from the best 20 welders on this test, is it?

When I first worked for a company after retiring from the USCG, they had me ride with their senior tech and trouble shoot to ensure I could. What helped me was remembering how many stupid, incompetent folks that I've seen in my field, and telling myself that if they could pass a real time refrigeration troubleshooting, I would do fine.

While you should feel a little pressure, you are only being tested on what you will be doing, and if you know the job, you will do fine.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top