wet sanding

Don B

Well-known Member
Would somebody explain the procedure of wet sanding and color sanding. I have a run or sag on the hood of tractor below the lip on the side. I was wanting to try sanding and need advice. Also do you use fine rubing compound for buffing. Thanks
 
Once you cut the run off with a coarse sand paper or razor blade, use a 600 grit wet/dry to remove any scratches. Then change to 1200 or 2000 grit wet/dry paper to prepare for polishing. Use a medium coarse rubbing compound to bring a sheen back to the finish, followed by a very fine polishing ocmpound to restore the full gloss. You have to make sure your paint can be sanded and polished, as some of the enamels are too soft. I would try a sample on a piece of sheet metal first if you are not sure about the paint.

3M makes good compounds available in body shop supply houses. If you machine compound, you will need a wool bonnet for the medium cut compounds and a fingered foam pad for the polishing compound. You can hand polish small areas with enough patience. If using a machine buffer keep it moving and don't let it burn the finish.
 
I would add that it dont take much to burn the paint with a machine buffer (been there done that to much dismay)use little to no pressure, and mask high spots or the buffer will hit them and burn it. A high spot would be a curve or a protrusion in the flat surface your trying to polish. After burning a door on car once, I am very gunshy on machine buffers. They work but you have to be delicate in my opinion.
 
I would only use 1000 grit or finer. I have tried the 600-1000 approach but found the 600 to be too aggressive so I stick to 1000 and be patient. Buy wet or dry paper at an auto paint store and use plenty of water with a bit of dish soap in it or buy soap at the paint store made for wet sanding. I buff with a foam pad on a variable speed buffer. Using a slower speed helps reduce burning. I like Strata Cutting Cream because it starts out as a coarse compound but gets finer as you work it. I use plenty of water with it again to protect against burning. On polyurethane paints I get very good high gloss finishes this way.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top