Whaaaat?! Briggs 23hp Vanguard

Bret4207

Need to replace the starter solenoid on a 23HP Briggs Vanguard, 386447-0048-G1. For the life of me, I can't see or figure out how they have the solenoid secured to the starter. Can't feel any bolts or nuts, yet it appears to be some sort of hose clamp type affair securing the solenoid. Has any one ever messed with one of these? I can't see any bolts holding the starter on at all! I do know they want you to buy a special $50+ socket to remove them, but I can't ever see them!

I'm looking for a service manual now...

Trying to remember when I changed out a starter on my 18hp Briggs
Vanguard. They did indeed have bolts holding it on. They were pretty
darn well hidden and I had to specially modify a 1/4 inch socket to
even access one of the bolt heads. Have it around here somewhere.
Had to taper both the mouth and shoulder and if I remember, shorten
the entire socket. Thinking I chucked a 1/4 inch extension in an
electric drill, and rotated it against a rotating grinding wheel.
Oh,and had to use a fairly long extension on wrench to access the
bolts. Tractor is at son's ranchlet 67 miles away so cannot just run
out and look.

I have worked on several Briggs 2 cylinder motors but seems like sonenoid on mine was remote, near the battery. does yours actually push the drive into the flywheel?

I think the top bolt can best be reached with a 1/4" drive, 13mm ujoint socket. and, Like you, I even shortened that a little. I use a 13mm long box end from the bottom to just break it loose and the socket/extension to finish it up. Bottom bolt is easy to get to.

(quoted from post at 18:05:38 02/19/18) Yep, just a simple "worm-gear" hoseclamp.

Simple, eh?

Bob, are you familiar with this clamp at all? I'm almost standing on my head now to see the starter, any idea how the clamp works?

(quoted from post at 20:26:06 02/19/18) I think the top bolt can best be reached with a 1/4" drive, 13mm ujoint socket. and, Like you, I even shortened that a little. I use a 13mm long box end from the bottom to just break it loose and the socket/extension to finish it up. Bottom bolt is easy to get to.

Thanks Ken, but the engines bottom section is about 8" off the ground so I can't see anything. It's in a repowered 444 Bobcat.

(quoted from post at 18:30:05 02/19/18) I have worked on several Briggs 2 cylinder motors but seems like sonenoid on mine was remote, near the battery. does yours actually push the drive into the flywheel?

No, it's a standard Briggs solenoid, they just have it mounted on the starter itself. I admit, it makes for a clean installation, but if I cant get it off I'll move the new one to a better location and add a new wire from the solenoid to starter.

The Briggs manual number is 272144. Can not get a picture to load of the starter. The solenoid is attached to the starter with what looks like a regular hose clamp. The starter is bolted to the block up against the shroud. Bolts are metric. I have used shallow 1/4 " drive sockets and extensions to remove starter bolts.

(quoted from post at 18:35:34 02/19/18)
(quoted from post at 18:05:38 02/19/18) Yep, just a simple "worm-gear" hoseclamp.

Simple, eh?

Bob, are you familiar with this clamp at all? I'm almost standing on my head now to see the starter, any idea how the clamp works?

Bret, did you find the hex head on the worm gear clamp and get it undone?

(quoted from post at 04:18:38 02/20/18)
(quoted from post at 18:35:34 02/19/18)

Simple, eh?

Bret, did you find the hex head on the worm gear clamp and get it undone?

I can't feel it Bob and I certainly can't see it. Raining heavy here, so I'll do some more "feeling around" as soon as it dries out.

(quoted from post at 09:34:50 02/20/18) Cut the band with a whiz wheel and use a regular hose clamp to secure it to the new starter?

It could very well be just a crimped band of steel holding it on.

I'm not sure what it uses to secure it. Thought of the Dremel and a cut off wheel, but I'd like to loosen it up if possible. Thanks for the thought!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back