What did I just run over

37 chief

I was pulling into my yard, with my trailer after finishing a mowing job. I felt the trailer bump over something. After parking I am walking back
to my trailer. The right front tire, and wheel are gone. The center of the rim is still bolted to the hub. Back behind the trailer lays the tire,
and rim. For me that's the first time I had a center of a steel rim brake off. I have had a tire come off the rim, but not the whole rim. The bump was
the rear tire running over the tire. I am probably not the only person that has happened too. Stan

Best place for it to happen. I was slowing down to pull in my yard one time and the U-bolts on one side of the rear trailer axle broke. Swung back against the beaver tail and left about 100 feet of rubber on the road.

I never had it happen on a trailer, but did do it on the steering axle of a gravity wagon loaded with ear corn. Luckily the rim folded under the hub and spindle and kept the corner of the wagon from dropping far enough to dump it over. Unluckily it was blocking a gravel lane shared by three houses.

I had that happen on a car I was riding in with my cousin once. A 54 ford I think. fromt wheel and we almost went into a ditch as we were turning

When I was about 17, I went around a corner to the right, in my 50 Ford, punched it, and my left rear wheel and axle passed me, as the rear corner of my car hit the ground. Fortunately I had a 49 parts car at home, so I caught a ride home, pulled the complete axle and bearing assembly, and my sister gave me a ride back to fix it. Didn't even miss out on a date with my new girlfriend.

You guys make me feel lucky except for the time dad was pulling wagons to the elevator. Pulling with the tractor had a flat/blow out don't know which. He didn't see it turned the corner back wagon got on the gravel shoulder and sunk enough he couldn't pull the 2 of them with the 856. Called home for blocks and a jack with spare tire. That year we ha d some trouble with tires on wagons so had most of the stuff in the back of the pickup already. He had looked and said to bring 2 spares for which wagons. I got there and had to jack the one wagon up from below ground level. When I got it up so I could see it all there was left was the hub on the spindle. Took a good hour to get that one up so I could get a tire on it. Had to start with jakc on the box rail not the axle. then block and add blocks under the jack and so on till I could get under the axle other tire when I jakced it up thought I was going to tip the wagon over it sort of balanced on the jack till I could move another jack under further over. The reason I never liked those little wagon tires and bought running gears. When truck axles were so much tougher and tires so much heavier and bigger. Our biggest gravity wagon has a truck frame and axles under it. Weighs in around 27,000 or a bit more loaded not big by today's standards but still must weigh about 14,000 on the front axle with single tires on it and over the last about 40 years I've had to replace a couple front tires. 900-20's that were on the truck when I stripped it out for the wagon. Still some of the original tires on there. Tires were probably 30-40 years old when I got the truck I think some of them said rayon on the sidewall.

Summer job in college working for a seed corn company, we planted a test plot up in Ubly and were loaded up and headed onto the highway when one of the trailer tires passed us on the on ramp! Three axle trailer with a 2510 Deere and two-row planter wasn't all that heavy, so we just tossed the broken rim on the truck and headed home.

My buddy snapped a spindle on his gravity wagon right at the main stoplight in town hauling to the mill- unloaded 300+ bushels of soybeans right on the intersection. Needed city workers with a backhoe to help cleanup.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back