What do you do for fuelling your tractor(s)?

blunosr

Hi, I really don't work my machines much. I'm only at my "farm" for a couple months per year, and I have been just using 5gal jerry cans to fuel up my Bobcat, and my Kubota tractor. But I find that as I get older, slogging those cans around isn't as much fun. So I got one of these:
[URL=http://s170.photobucket.com/us...bums/u245/Blunosr/pump_zpswwmmdcu5.jpeg[/img]
[/url]
And I thought I'd make some sort of station, where I don't have to lift the jerry cans much, and I'd have it inside my shop with a leak tray underneath.

I'm wondering what kind of setup you guys use?
Thanks,

Troy

You can use a 55 gallon barrel with that pump.Lift it out of your pickup with your loader,then put the pump on.That is what I
used to do....

Yes on truck tank and hand pump also 5 gallon cans if need be or only a little needed. I do store some but am not a big fan of that unless you use a lot fast. For many with small sub compact and low use 5 gallon can is probably best answer.

I have a 300 gallon tank I made with a rotary pump on top I keep in the machine barn for diesel fuel. For gasoline I just use about a half dozen 5 gallon plastic cans because I use less gasoline and my understanding that cleanliness is not as critical with gasoline equipment as it is with diesel.

have a 40 gallon monel fuel tank that i got out of a boat-slide it in and out of my pickup to get fuel and have a 12v transfer pump

I've been struggling with this dilemma as I've gotten older. I do no real farming but do mow a lot. I also have 5 vintage Fords that are no longer used regularly but I do start them regularly to avoid surprises.

Twice each year, I siphon the gasoline out of the vintage Fords and run it through the car. I then pour 1 ounce of StaBil into each tank and add about 2 1/2 gallons of fresh gasoline. The 860 and 4 cylinder 4000 are not much of a problem because the hoods are low but the 961 with FEL is a real PITA. I have a dedicated 2 1/2 gallon plastic can that I use for the 961 because hoisting a 5 gallon can around the FEL and up to the tank has become a bit much.

For the regularly used diesels, I still use 5 gallon cans. The MF 2635 is no problem because the tank is low and the filler is only about 36" above ground in front of the footboard. The MF 533 is another matter because the filler is centered in the hood and not easily seen when filling. Moreover, to avoid the mess resulting from spills, a funnel is needed. The funnel makes it difficult to tell when it is full and I have learned from experience that overfllows are time consuming to clean up. As a result, I bought a plastic container meant for filling radiators at service stations from NAPA. I pour a couple of gallons of fuel from one of my 5 gallon diesel cans into the container and pour it into the 533 using the plastic spout on the container. This works and avoids spills if I am careful but the two step process is another PITA.

I just bought a Kubota M9960HSD12 ROPS (not yet delivered). I cannot use cab tractors for mowing due to my proclivity for driving under trees. Though the cab model of the 9960 has a low level filler in front of the cab, the ROPS model has the filler behind the seat about four feet or so above ground. Moreover, the three point mounted mower and lift arms will make filling with a funnel and 5 gallon can yet another PITA. Why Kubota did this, I do not know and I investigated whether my tractor could be retrofitted with a tank from a cab unit to make filling from 5 gallon cans easier. Such is not an option.

For my purposes, I cannot justify a dedicated diesel tank and a truck mounted tank with pump is not an option because I do not own a truck.

I am currently shopping for a plastic "fuel station" from NT, etc. Such units hold 15 gallons or so and have wheels allowing easy movement on a concrete floor. I am yet to determine how the fuel is pumped from the tank into the filler neck at a higher lever. The online descriptions are not clear. Anyone know?

Dean

Like others have said, it's a real pain, you know where. I sent the above ground tank to the scrap yard. I don't use enough fuel to justify filling it anymore. I have a couple 55 gal drums I have tried this year, which seam to work ok. I put them in the back of my pickup and fill them, then roll them on a pallet, and remove with a fork lift. I bought a air operated drum pump from work when they moved. I still have my 5 gal jeep cans. Getting older it's harder to hoist them up on my tractor, while doing a balancing act on the front axle. Then hoping to hit the funnel opening. stan

Our first step away from the cans was a rotary pipe like in the picture in a 50 gallon barrel in the back of the pickup. Then we went to a diaphragm pump on an 80 gallon fuel tank. Then on to a 12 volt electric pump in a 110 gallon tank that would shut itself when the tractor/combine tank was full; we did greasing/lubing while the pump put fuel into the tanks.

I bought a small pump that goes into a 5 gal can. It is run with 2 AA battries. On another forum a landscape
business was using these and had a lot of good things to say about them. I have run about 25 gallon thru it and
the batteries are still going strong. I have to sit my gas can on a barrel as the hose from the pump is only 2
foot long

I bought a 50 gallon tank with a 12 volt pump. I put it on a small trailor and fill up at station in town.Keep it outside (for fire reason) and out of site from road. I made an adapter that unplugs for the powercord to make it harder for someone to selfserve. Other than that I use smaller cans for the splitter and small engines. joe

This is what I use. You have to build a platform underneath it
when you're using a truck bed fuel tank. I use the tractor and
loader and lift it up by the four by fours you see sticking out.
a203517.jpg

Fit a 5 gallon can with a pipe that goes down close to bottom of can and a Schrader valve on top of can - put some fuel hose on the pipe that reaches tractor tank - pressurize the can a bit (3 or 4 pounds should do it - I use a bicycle pump)

(quoted from post at 17:48:29 10/18/15)
Fit a 5 gallon can with a pipe that goes down close to bottom of can and a Schrader valve on top of can - put enough fuel hose on the pipe to reach the tractor tank - pressurize the can a bit (3 or 4 pounds should do it - I use a bicycle pump)
(Editing disabled)
I forgot to say that this method will work on any size can or barrel, and if you cut the pipe at an angle it can go clear to the bottom of the container. :)

I used to do the 5 gallon can thing, but now I just drive the tractors to the gas station. It's only
about 3 miles away. And yes, I realize how lucky I am for that!

Actually many of the fields I hay are past the gas station anyway, so I don't even have to go out of my
way.

I could never go back to the cans - that was just crazy, ESPECIALLY with those stupid )#(*)#*$#$ "carb"
nozzles, it takes over ten minutes to pour five gallons!

Let's see - 33 gallon tank - 5 gallon can - need 7 cans - times 10 minutes per can -

Factoring in the time it takes to get the nozzle open every time it slips off the edge - it'd literally
take an hour and a half to fill one tractor!

Not to mention the time to fill the 7 cans at the gas station first!

glad you asked the question though - i've always wondered what others do if there isn't a gas station
nearby.

Don't waste your money on the pump you have pictured. I had one, it came with a 55 gallon drum and dolly that I bought off craigslist. It leaked like a sieve, made more of a mess than it was worth. I finally bit the bullet and got a Tuthill pump at Northern Tool, and mounted it with the filter assembly. It works great, pumps faster and doesn't leak. I also added the fuel filter with the settling bowl on it.
I have the 55 gallon drum with the dolly under it, use some small ratchet straps to keep it on tight. I got a set of the drum lifters at Northern Tool, and just lift the whole thing into the back of the truck and fill up at the Co-Op. Sure beats the 5 gallon can ordeal.

iuse a 250 gallon tank on a stand , in THE SHADE for diesel ,usually pak 5 gallon hydro fluid plastic pails for gas . I have a 100 gallon tank on the truck for gas or diesel,.. whenever I switch back to diesel I get a hundred gallon to dilute the gallon of gas that mite still be in there ,,. trouble with cans is dirt and water and trash of all sorts seem to get in the tractor tank ,no matter how I try to clean the funnels . I use atf fluid in gas to help clean out

They're pretty strict around here about having an "approved container".

I have no idea if a 55 gallon drum in any way can be an "approved" container.

Have you had to deal with that or do they just look the other way? If you've got a coop I imagine you're in a much more rural area than I am.

I've thought about doing that, but honestly I think the gas station owner would shoot me, and bury me in my drum.

Mine resemble this, use a 300 gallon. http://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?141001/AJ9379 Gravity flow, no pump, just a filter. Station in the village 15 miles away delivers at no charge, as does the coop 30 miles away, and others. Most use this type or one on the ground with an electric pump. Some put one of the tanks on a trailer.

It is my understanding that as long as you are under 100 gallons, the strict regs about placarding, etc. don't apply. I can't see much difference between a 55 gallon drum in the back and the square tanks or tool box / tank combo units they sell at Tractor Supply that every dirt contractor has in the back of their pick-up. Not that far from Houston, not really a rural area. But I'm using the drum for red-dye diesel for farm use.

I have a fuel tank out of an older truck that came with a fuel pump. I put a piece of fuel line on the line that went to the engine, now goes to tractor fuel tank, and wired it up using existing wires on tank. Holds about 20 gals, works very well.

We have a 500 gallon diesel tank with 110v pump. I need to move it farther form the feedlot when it empties this fall.
For gas, I found one of the 30 gallon gas caddies at an auction. Has a rotary pump on top with hose. I can lift it onto the pickup when empty, use the loader to take it off full. Rolls around well enough, but it sloshes out the vent if filled over 25 gallons. The ones advertised in Northern or Gemplers say they also pump in reverse to remove fuel to the tank, but mine never works for this.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back