What Do You Think?

Mike Young

New User
I am in the market for a used JD tractor 100 h.p. or more. I was told that the 4230 is very good and nimble as I need something to use with a small bale grapple and something that would pull 4 bottom plow. I am new to this forum and have used only small JD tractors(2355). When you recommend a model would you also state the pros and cons of that model. Regards, Mike in TN
 
a 4230 is a really good tractor however its a little cold natured about starting, the 40 series is about the same tractor but they start better in cold weather, anything that size will handle a 4 bottom plow, i pull a 4 bottom with a 90 HP John deere.
 
I agree with the bottum post, the 4230s can br hard startting in the cold (always keep a can of eather handy), and from expereance with my uncles tractor, they have a poor highdrolic pump.

Personally I would go with a 4440jd for a good tractor,
 
Hydraulic.
Never heard of 4230's subject to a rash of pump failures.
They start well enough if the block heater is plugged in during the winter. Full size battery cables are used, the connections clean and the highest CAA batteries used that will fit in the boxes.
 
im not a JD fan at the least but we have a 4230 at work I hate that tractor but have great respect for it the DERN thing just wont die boss and son never check oil levels so engine oil usualy low and hydrolic oil last couple of times not even on dip stick so not sure what hydro pump problems are all about ours just wont die havent had a prob starting this winter here in MN always pluged in and yes if you have money go for the 40 Series
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top