What I Saw Today, Houston Miss.

Walt in Jaxn Tn.

Or for those of you who decided not to come to the show, "What You Missed". Dan and I deciede to drive down Friday night and camp out on the grounds so I tried to prepare for the trip while I worked and made mental notes of what we needed and I did pretty well and managed to get home during my lunch break and get things out and ready for Dan when he got here at my home in Jackson so that all I had to do was run in the house and take a quick shower, put on some shorts and shower shoes and run out and get in his little Mazda truck and haul posterior south to Mississippi. I got off work at 5:00P and we were on the road heading south by 5:30P We pulled into Joe Brigance park to where we would put up the tent at 8:30P. We were putting the tent up when I realized that I did not bring the air pump. I freaked and ran to the truck and we went over to the Wal-Mart we saw when we came into town to get a spare pump but, Wal-Mart was colsed. We went back to the camp ground and I blew up a small spare mattress and got dizzy. After I got the mattress up Dan heard a sound across the camp ground that sounded like an electric air pump.
We investigated it and sure enough there was an old veteran pumping up a large queen size mattress about 2 1/2 ft thick. Oh well I made up my mind that I would keep the air pump with my bed clothes/mattress bag.
DSCN6920.jpg

If you should ever get a chance to attend this show, do it. I'v been attending since 1989 or 90. Let me know what you think and if you do not have a user name or password for this site I highly recomend it. It's not hard to do. If I gave you one of my cards, just email me and I will walk you through it. If you have a user name and password, click on email on the lower right corner to send me a message.
DSCN7034.jpg

Flwheel side of a nice old "A" 95% of the old tractors with electrics at this show had a big ole alternator slapped raw up the side of the engine compartment. This one didn't!
DSCN7023.jpg

I think the guy said he'd take $50 for the set of "A" grilles and they were near perfect. I wouldn't have sold them that cheap
DSCN6971.jpg

Well, obviously I don't know the serial #, but this A has more attributes of a variety of later tractors than it does a 1935 model. The bucket seat, seat support channel, and clip on the hood for the shutter rod indicate that it is after 460000(late '37). If it is a '35 it should have a curtain on the radiator. Instead it has the shutter control lever, which, I think, came out in early '37 and was used until the end. The front pedestel doesn't have the groove to mount implements, so it is pre-460000. I'm pretty sure the plug wire conduits were the short ones yet in '35. All-in-all, this is a confusing tractor to look at.

Lon

Junk antiques and venders linning both sides of the walking path. I've seen a lot of good deals here. Check out the video of the guy singing Elvis songs. Blues and Elvis came from here. This is just a few miles southeast of the crossroads where Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil for the ablilty to sing and play the blues and just southwest of Tupelo where Elvis was born
DSCN6966.jpg

video

Front quarter. The frame is a fork in a sweet gum tree. You can see the wood in this shot
The builder is the guy to the left of the steering wheel (your left not his)
DSCN6963.jpg

Everything on this tractor operated very smoothly. The builder did say that the engine would blow a head gasket every few minuites of operation (he didn't build the engine)
DSCN6960.jpg

The front of a very ornate home made tractor. The frame is a fork in a sweetgum tree. I believe the thick metal plate was cut with a plasma cutter and is very clean scroll cut. It has lots of very nice details
DSCN6954.jpg

This compressor engine makes this show each year. It used to be a compressor and was converted to a engine a few years ago. Check out the video below
DSCN6951.jpg

video

This is the veteran that had the electric blower to blow up mattresses. He siept on his on this trailer out in the open with a quilt under him and a quilt over him. His mattress went flat during the night
DSCN6949.jpg

Dan and I woke up, ate cereal breakfast, took down the tent, put everything away and was ready to start the show by 9:00A the same time we would have gotten here if we started this morning and drove down like we did when we went to Illinois a couple of wk ends ago. Check out the video below
DSCN6906.jpg

video

that is is the most interesting set of pictures from a show i have ever seen! i would like to be at the next one.im currently working in the philippines but certainly would try to make it.when is the next one like this,amazing!
pete

It's a very good example of a Heinz 57 tractor. As Mark said, it is a 35 at it's core. The frame, first reduction gear cover, make it a 35 prior to about 420000/mid July 35. I can almost read the heat code on the maincase, from the second picture. Looks like a three digit number followed by -35. That would put above maybe 416000.

Along with all of the other incorrect (for 35) parts, probably the most obvious is the wheels/hubs. Not sure, but I don't think you could ever get the large flange, 9 bolt, hub for 10 spline axles, and the wheels are probably 38".

Still looks like someone went to a lot of work to make themselves a pretty nice looking tractor.....and it's not in a scrap yard.

Bolinder-Munktell (BM) was a tractor and machines manufacturer founded in Eskilstuna, Sweden in 1932 through the merger of the mechanical companies Bolinder and Munktell. Bolinder was a large marine engine builder that in the 1920s had 80 percent of the world engine market.

Bolinder are also well known as manufacturers of 'Semi-Diesel' or 'Hot bulb' engines.

In 1950 BM was bought by AB Volvo. In 1973 the company changed its name to Volvo BM AB and then in 1995 to Volvo Construction Equipment.

The product range has changed with the times. Up to the beginning of the 20th century agricultural machines such as threshers were an important product.

Tractor production commenced in 1913, with the type 30-40. Tractors were the main product up to the 1970s, and gained an unsurpassed reputation for durability.....
Source: Wikipedia.com.

Pete, the next spring show in Houston will be this time next year but, there will be a fall show in October I believe. Mabey Dan will weigh in here as he has a show directory.

Actually a WD- has a straight shift lever. Also has a spring cushion hitch- not very common. Saw my first one last year.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back