What is this?

550Doug

Found this in a toolbox I got at an auction. Notice the fine 'file-like' markings. The tip reminds me of a soldering tip. Where would this be used?
mvphoto111890.jpg

mvphoto111891.jpg

mvphoto111892.jpg

mvphoto111893.jpg

mvphoto111894.jpg

Butchers Steel. It is missing an important hilt. To be
held with the thumb on the same side as the fingers.
Returns the edge to a properly sharpened knife in a short
time. Slaughterhouse butchers will have one on their
belts all the time.

550Doug,

use 0000 steel wool, go from tip to handle. It will get it clean. Keeps the knifes sharp if used as
needed,

Guido.

I used one of these for25 years working in the Wilson & Co pack in Cherokee, Ia Then I got into the boiler room, and finally maintenance
Worked there a total of 45 years.

Oop... too late to the party - and I actually knew what this one is.

Have one in my knife storage block.

That is the first thing you learn when you are trying to keep up to the line, and getting your knife honed. I still have all my fingers and toes after 45 years at the pack, and 3 years in a farm machinery mfg plant.

I think there was one in every Grandmas drawer. (OOPS, sorry Gina) That tool was popular in October/ November when the chickens, hogs, beef, and deer were butchered. I dont recall it so much in July/ August when garden was harvested. That got brought out and the meat saw was taken down from the nail in the coat closet along with a couple long knives that were sharpened down to a 1/2 inch blade but still worked too good to throw away. Ma had one that the handle broke so Pa fashioned on out of stainless and riveted it on.

That is a knife sharpener. For many that would be what they used to sharpen a butcher knife. When I worked at IBP that one might be used once every couple hours. One of similar shape but perfectly
smooth (worked with at least 200 grit sand paper every day) would be what you used while on the line with a couple quick strokes of the knife between every task. I pulled the shank bone - the
upper leg bone - removed one every 14 seconds or so while walking with the chain. Turn around to walk back to the head of the work area and make several strokes with your knife on the steel to retain
the razor-sharp edge. If you cut out two in a row your knife was already becoming noticeable dull. Cut 4 in a row and you are tugging and gripping your knife two hard.

Some guys would have a steel like that on the line but usually you would only need that once or twice a shift to bring back the edge then use the smooth steel. I never owned one - I had a ceramic
sharpener that I would use once in the while to bring back an edge. Keeping your knife sharp was Job One, dull knife would result in sore hands and aching arms and shoulders.

https://misen.com/products/honing-rod?variant=40340392181841&msclkid=9f0a1f1705e91a2e28c27a73a21cdc91&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_01_low-
intent_high_cpc&utm_term=4588536908009977&utm_content=catch-all

(quoted from post at 08:44:48 11/27/23) Sharpening steel for butcher knifes but I use mine to fine hone my pocket knife also. Puts a razor edge on all three blades.

I also use mine for sharpening scissors.

Sharpening steel and honing steel are two different tools. This is a honing steel. It won't remove any material from the blade.

Sharpening steels have diamond or ceramic grit on them.

What this does is straighten the microscopic "burr" that forms the edge of the knife. Makes a sharpening job last longer.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back