What should I do with these?

blunosr

I admit it, I'm a pack rat...

I do some work in the oil patch, and these rings are gaskets on pipelines. They're 316 stainless, heavy and solid. They throw them out all the time, and when I see them in the garbage I just can't leave them there... Not that I have any idea what to do with them...

Any ideas?

Also, I got these heavy aluminum small parts cabinets. I actually got 9 of them, but I gave the other 5 away. They just seemed so useful... I cleaned them up and painted them, but now what?

I already have loads of small parts (bolts, etc) drawers. These are empty, and there are 16x12 (192) little compartments. Each about 5" x 3.75" x 2.75" deep. Any suggestions for them?

I know I need these things, I just don't know what for...

Do any of you guys get stuff like that?

[/img][URL=http://s170.photobucket.com/us...lunosr/Shop Tools/Rings_zpsy6pfd95j.jpg[/img][/url]
[URL=http://s170.photobucket.com/us.../Shop Tools/Small parts_zpsrjy5gftg.jpg[/img][/url]

Thanks,

Troy

They range from 2.75" ID to about 8" ID, with most of them being about 3 and 3/8" ID and weighing about a pound each.

Make some kind of kid's game out of them, like horseshoes! Pitching washers used to be a big past time around here. People lost interest, like in a lot of things that was easy and didn't cost anything...

I've worked in the oil industry for thirty plus years,around a lot of
very talented welders. I've seen the rings used to make everything
from mailbox posts, headache racks for trucks to belt buckles. The SS
is not the easiest material to work with but it will last forever.

When they put up the towers on the farm in 1958, they gave us buckets of left-over bolts. A lot of them are aluminum bolts (mostly 5/8" and 3/4" that we never found a use for, not strong enough for farm machinery. Still in the old machine shed 57 years later.

I save stuff like that all the time. Place I used to work for threw away lots of heavy galvanized hardware.... I saved all I could. Comes in very VERY handy on farm, building / repairing. Save those, you'll use them as the time goes by.

Used to see similar waste on high rise jobs, just incredible the sloppy waste of hardware, none of which is cheap. Kegs of A-325 high strength bolts left on various floors, but it seems maybe those would get picked up, but anything on the floor was definitely fair game and there was lots of it. Near the base of material hoists, just from the hoist itself, turnbuckles, lynch pins, and similar hardware used on tractors and equipment actually. I have a small stash of these various items, knew better than to load up, but always thought it was shameful for this expensive galvanized steel hardware to be left in the dirt. I used to supervise iron worker crews of up to 65 people, and when we mobilized on a job site, like most other contractors we set up a shanty to work out of, stock the materials needed etc. Some of these guys had that mentality like the structural steel guys, (we were ornamental, windows, curtainwall etc.) just drop hardware on the deck, leave it and grab another. I had to straighten that out, as there was no excess hardware to discard, they could easily short the job and its out of our pockets because of carelessness. Simple solution was to set up carts with bins, stock with each type of hardware, fastener, whatever it was depending on what we were installing, and just about tether that thing to them in their work area. It totally eliminated the annoying sloppy practice of many of these employees. At the onset, we were short on one job, there was a delay getting replacement material, effectively doubling the cost of that line item. It was explained that its immediate grounds for termination, take it up with your steward or business agent, more than likely I'll have already spoken to one of them before. Leave a trail of parts on the deck, you're gone, and they liked the darned organized carts anyway, so it worked out much better. 6:45 A.M. those carts get stocked and had best be out the shanty door before 7:00 am.

Whats funny, is at least one wheel on my old 850 Ford tractor is fastened with high strength A-325 bolts found on a concrete deck of a high rise.

My old neighbor would save N.O.S. materials like this, but was not so much of a hoarder, though he had a few boxes of otherwise useless, WWII aircraft parts, all the same, something for wiring that passes through something. Could never think of any good use for these, but he had them because they were new I am sure. He was an interesting sort, his shop and all, had really old motors on display,meticulously displayed, place was like a small museum. One motor with a genset for an old drawbridge at the turn of the century, was really sad to see it all auctioned off when his wife passed in '98, I took a lot of photos of what was at the auction.

I cut an overhead door spring a few years ago (lengthwise), and ended up with a TON of rings about 3 1/2" ID. I used a lot of them on gates (for "hooks") and various other small projects around the farm. I even used several (with some added chains) as hangers for painting projects. I have almost all of them used up between my place and several others. I've even made cup holders out of a few (they weren't SS, though). As for the bins - I could sure use about 10 of them around for small bolts, nuts, washers, etc. One of the local Amish guys came up with about 40 of those SS rings, and we used them on some harness/pole projects he was building. Back when I tested bolts and metal at a Materials and Research lab, we ALWAYS had tons of "leftovers". We had to get rid of them somehow, so most of them went home with one of us. I still have a stash of SS bolts, and A325's, among other things.

(quoted from post at 06:41:36 07/26/15) Used to see similar waste on high rise jobs, just incredible the sloppy waste of hardware, none of which is cheap. Kegs of A-325 high strength bolts left on various floors, but it seems maybe those would get picked up, but anything on the floor was definitely fair game and there was lots of it. Near the base of material hoists, just from the hoist itself, turnbuckles, lynch pins, and similar hardware used on tractors and equipment actually. I have a small stash of these various items, knew better than to load up, but always thought it was shameful for this expensive galvanized steel hardware to be left in the dirt. I used to supervise iron worker crews of up to 65 people, and when we mobilized on a job site, like most other contractors we set up a shanty to work out of, stock the materials needed etc. Some of these guys had that mentality like the structural steel guys, (we were ornamental, windows, curtainwall etc.) just drop hardware on the deck, leave it and grab another. I had to straighten that out, as there was no excess hardware to discard, they could easily short the job and its out of our pockets because of carelessness. Simple solution was to set up carts with bins, stock with each type of hardware, fastener, whatever it was depending on what we were installing, and just about tether that thing to them in their work area. It totally eliminated the annoying sloppy practice of many of these employees. At the onset, we were short on one job, there was a delay getting replacement material, effectively doubling the cost of that line item. It was explained that its immediate grounds for termination, take it up with your steward or business agent, more than likely I'll have already spoken to one of them before. Leave a trail of parts on the deck, you're gone, and they liked the darned organized carts anyway, so it worked out much better. 6:45 A.M. those carts get stocked and had best be out the shanty door before 7:00 am.

Whats funny, is at least one wheel on my old 850 Ford tractor is fastened with high strength A-325 bolts found on a concrete deck of a high rise.

My old neighbor would save N.O.S. materials like this, but was not so much of a hoarder, though he had a few boxes of otherwise useless, WWII aircraft parts, all the same, something for wiring that passes through something. Could never think of any good use for these, but he had them because they were new I am sure. He was an interesting sort, his shop and all, had really old motors on display,meticulously displayed, place was like a small museum. One motor with a genset for an old drawbridge at the turn of the century, was really sad to see it all auctioned off when his wife passed in '98, I took a lot of photos of what was at the auction.

I worked in a GM engine plant, and any production part that got dropped on the floor was scrapped, for quality purposes. We had a lot of spare parts for machines, and when the machines were replaced, the spare parts were scrapped also. In the early days, we could buy things that were scrapped out, but over time, they stopped selling to employees. Never understood that.

(quoted from post at 04:59:01 07/26/15) I admit it, I'm a pack rat...

I do some work in the oil patch, and these rings are gaskets on pipelines. They're 316 stainless, heavy and solid. They throw them out all the time, and when I see them in the garbage I just can't leave them there... Not that I have any idea what to do with them...

Any ideas?

Also, I got these heavy aluminum small parts cabinets. I actually got 9 of them, but I gave the other 5 away. They just seemed so useful... I cleaned them up and painted them, but now what?

I already have loads of small parts (bolts, etc) drawers. These are empty, and there are 16x12 (192) little compartments. Each about 5" x 3.75" x 2.75" deep. Any suggestions for them?

I know I need these things, I just don't know what for...

Do any of you guys get stuff like that?

[/img][URL=http://s170.photobucket.com/us...lunosr/Shop Tools/Rings_zpsy6pfd95j.jpg[/img][/url]
[URL=http://s170.photobucket.com/us.../Shop Tools/Small parts_zpsrjy5gftg.jpg[/img][/url]

Thanks,

Troy

Sacrificial stock when cleaning parts using electrolysis.....

Those are ring joint gaskets. Over the years I have found many uses around the farm. They are
very strong. Made a hitch on a drag with one many yrs. ago and it has held up great. Previous
poster was right, welders can make almost anything with them. Really good handles on cooking
pits. With stainless steel rods they weld easy.

Sell the rings for 5 each to a jewelery store. Bracelets are fine jewelery! The empty drawers !!! come on give us a break!!! Jim

I was at a garage sale today and the guy was selling high voltage insulators. He said an "industrial artist" loaded up a whole van full of them . It seems I have been throwing things in dumpsters for years that some artist will buy and make a table out of. Don't throw them away somebody will treasure them

Me too, I've heard of that kind of practice before. Same with job sites, its best to ask permission if you can take waste or discarded things on the deck or around the building perimeter, the latter of which is done a lot more safely off hours when no one is working above you. I always got it cleared first, spent some time each day on the way out to collect good hardware discarded around the hoists.

In most specifications, its stated that all materials are to be new, so if it fell off the building or was discarded, technically its no longer new, however that is a bit ridiculous. What is really meant is that they don't want any contractor using scrap, salvage, compromised or materials of unknown origin. I had an erecting crew that the company had an inside deal with, when I first took over the division, and amongst other things he was using steel found on the site for structural connections of curtain wall to the superstructure of the building. That totally violates the specifications, he almost opened a huge can of worms detrimental to the performance of our contract. I terminated their deal with the company, and hand picked my own crew from the union hall and elsewhere from the same local. Shameful, as he had a sweet deal, but did not have the aptitude for the technical side of it at all. Had I let him continue, this one contract failing would have jeopardized the fledgling heavy/commercial division of the company before it even got established. I'm sure he had good intentions but it was bad practice, the inspector was all over me for it until it was corrected 100%. This job turned into a grand slam home run for the company all from that one decision to terminate this outfits deal with one of the company partners. The GC was not happy, but was soon after once production doubled and the quality of the work met the specifications.

Sometimes it is inappropriate, but I agree, the shear material waste that I have seen on job sites is shameful. That goes way back to the days of making concrete forms on site, vs using one of the various form systems we have today. Not sure how it is now, but with the cost of things, you would think the waste of new material would be closely monitored.

I didn't know where it came from, but I used a stainless ring like that for the connecting ring on a set of log tongs. I always thought the ring would break, but I actually broke a point off of one of the tongs, and the ring held.

I wouldn't be able to force myself to throw those rings away. And the drawers? What are you talking about?? No way!!

(quoted from post at 09:59:38 07/26/15)
In the early days, we could buy things that were scrapped out, but over time, they stopped selling to employees. Never understood that.

Whats not to understand? Once employees find out that anything dropped on the floor can be bought for pennys on the dollar at special employees sales, employees tend to get a bad case of butter fingers. Take away that employee sale and employees start holding on to things longer.

I have seen the abuse of that policy at 2 big companies near here, they finally had to quit the sales for good, too much good stock going out the back door for peanuts.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back