What year is Case tractor

SweetFeet

Well-known Member
We have a DC Case... would like to know the year it was made -- cannot find it in the serial number list to the left side of forum.

Serial number is 8025906 (unless husband could not read it right... tag is painted over, so hard to read).

Thanks if you can help.
 
I"d like for somebody to explain the year when the SN tag starts with an 8 like that also. I had assumed it was a late "53 or 54. I have two of them with SNs that start with 8 and would like the year confirmed as well.

Sorry I"m not answering your question. But there are others out there with the same question!
 
Check the block. If original, the block in a DC case should have the same serial number stamped in the flange that bolts up to the bell housing (check both sides, I don't remember if its Left or Right). We have two DC's, and both had the same SN on the block as the SN plate, and the one on the block was easier to read, as our SN on the tags got stamped very close to the screw.
Untitled URL Link
 
I may be wrong on this but 1954 was the last year the DC was made and the 400 was born IN 1955. Now that said I remember people talking on the site . So try the articles. So more than likely you have one of the last ones made. You can write to CNH an request a build sheet also
Jerry from Ohio
 
You have a very late model D Series. In 1953 Case changed the serial numbering scheme to no longer be using the 4 minus from the 1st two numbers. So 1953 D series start with 80xxxxx along with the 500's. Most of the 1953 D's had foot clutch, and easy ride seat. Case had an awful lot of D series in inventory and had to dress them up with some "modern options" to try to sell them. It was a poorly kept secret that Case was working on a new model and the late DC's were very hard to sell w/o discounts. Best available knowledge is that no D series were built in 1954 because of the massive inventory already built. Don
 
Barry75,

That is what I was wondering about too... because the YT list only goes to the 600's as far as serial numbers.
 
David R Inman,

Thank you. I will check the block to see what it says (when the snow and high winds let up).

I did look in the serial number list before I posted my question... but it only goes up to serial numbers starting with 6xxxxxx instead of 8xxxxxx.
 
cac400,
Thank you for the info regarding obtaining a build sheet. I may do that if I cannot find the answer elsewhere.
 
Don Rudolph,

So do you mean that it is just called a "D Case"... and not a "DC Case"? (I know nothing about Case...just some about Farmalls).

It does have a foot-clutch and also a factory foot-throttle. And I would think it is the easy rider seat... deep pan on seat and a large spring assembly under the seat.

Thank you for the information.
 
Well, the D series designation applies to all the different axle/tire option:

D is standard, non adjustable rear wheels w/ 26" tires and fixed wide front.
DC3 is 38" rear tires and tricycle front, single front, or adjustable wide front.
DI is Industrial D
DC4 is 38" rear tires with fixed wide front.
DCS is hi-crop version.
DO is orchard version, very similar to D standard.

All have many of the same parts, engines, transmissions are nearly identical. Don
 
post a pic, as its very easy to pick out a D from the DC. the dc will have the tall narrow rear tires as associated with the farmall models. the d will have 26" rear rubber and have a lower stance like the standard model tractors. the last models had the foot clutch instead of the hand clutch. just forget now but on these cases you had to subtract a # from the serial # and it gave you the year. that's without looking it up in a manual. kinda handy. I also believe the d or dc should be stamped in front of serial # on the tag.
 
rustred,

Photos are not very good... taken in our shop last night and it's a tight squeeze to fit it inside.

This tractor originally had narrow front (my husband changed it to wide front for pushing snow).
a143014.jpg

a143015.jpg
 
It's a 1953 DC3 with all the late model goodies. Does it say AP by the serial number? That would mean factory installed 4" aluminum pistons. Don
 
Don Rudolph,

Thank you very much for your help.

I will save this info... and check to see if there is an AP by the serial number (when this old weather warms up!).
 
Sorry, I forgot to mention the AP will be stamped on the engine transmission flange right behind the air cleaner. It will not be on the serial number plate on the dash. Don
 
Case Nutty,

Thanks, that is what others said too.

BUT can anyone explain to me why the serial number list on YT goes through 1956 and shows that serial numbers for '56 begin with 6xxxxxx?

Yet ours begins with 8xxxxxx and is a '53. I can't make sense of it... and I know another poster (first reply at bottom) was also wondering about DC's beginning with 8xxxxxx.

Thanks if you can help.
 
this explains it some what, basically they changed to a new serial # system in 1953 that allowed you to tell what plant the product was built by the serial#, hope this helps explain
cnt
a143069.jpg
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top