Whats Everyone Do?

Ok I know winter boredom has got us all by now, so I thought I would stir up the discussion a little by asking what does everyone do? For example I am a Junior in High School? After spending many hours reading the forums on here I feel like ive "gotten to know" many of you, and it made me wonder what everyone does.

Looking forward to all the interesting resposes Im sure we'll see.

Tom
 
I go to high school and work on antique tractors when I have free time. Mow a few lawns and bale hay in the summer.
 
I work for one of the largest construction companies in Atlanta, I used to race atv's, but now I just cruise the old farms around this area talking to farmers and taking pictures of their collections. My family has a beef farm in upstate NY and this is how I keep in touch with the tractors I grew up with.
 
run a chainsaw shop. I sell and service Husqvarna,Jonsered and Stihl saw along with Scag and Husqvarna mowers
 
I teach 6th graders for my steady paycheck, insurance, and retirement. Go home to ND to work on Dad's farm every chance I get for a little extra cash if the year is good to him. Collect/rebuild/restore old tractors and a couple trucks. Have a wonderful wife and a beautiful girl that is one month old today. 8)
 
I am a journeyman machinist. Recently started working for the US government at an army arsenal base buildling the M-119A and other heavy equipment, support type vehicles, used over in Iraq. Like to tinker with old Ford tractors.
 
Heavy Equipment Relocation Specialist, Usually moving heavy equipment, Dead or Alive, Whole or in Parts, with a 26 wheeler. You might see me anywhere in Pennsylvania from Maryland to New York, from Pittsburgh to Harrisburg. It's not just a Job, It's an Adventure!
 
Retired from Ms. Employment Service, 36 yrs supervising claims office. Now read this board, work part time for two farmers close to me. Work on my 8 n
 
I work for the Railroad, and now currently going to school here in Texas to be a Train Dispatcher. I like my older Ford tractors, I do have other colors too.
Later
 
Retired from the Illinois National Guard and now am currently employed as a Family Assistance Representitive, dealing with the daily problems the deployed national guard families are having.
 
Civil Engineer to keep the steady income. Part time farmer to keep sane (what?) the rest of the time. We raise, corn, soys, blacks, wheat, and the past two years adzukis with a little hay thrown in here and there. In the summer I try to spend time riding dirt bikes. In the winter work on whatever I can find cheap and think I can turn a buck on.
 
Just a dang dirt farmer. Sometimes I wonder why I keep it up. I could be retired,sleeping with the cook and living on the interest!
 
Jack of all trades master of one. "48"yr old licensed Master electrician at a hospital in north central Ma. My hobbies are Making stuff out of recycled junk, right now I'm looking for some blade wheels for a bandsaw mill that I'm bulding. I also have an extensive carpentry shop cause I like to play with wood. In the process of building a huge addition on my house. My tractors, "61"-Fordson power major TLB. "68" ford 3400 industrial loader, early 60's Allis Chalmers B-10 garden tractor, I use it the most.
Also building 88 mustang 347 hot rod with my son.
And I also repair small engines for cash on the side. I don't have time to breathe.
Jim K
 
I run a veterinary clinic that takes in dogs, cats, and horses. Just pulled a squeaky toy out of a dogs stomach yesterday. Pays the bills enough so I can spend money on the farm and my JD tractors.
Dave
 
Masters structural engineering student at UT-Austin, which is a long way away from my toys back in Nebraska. Hopefully, the engineering will help pay for more toys. ;)
 
Maintenance Electrician at a sardine cannery. A lot of PLC and electrical, electro-mechanical, pneumatic and hydraulic control stuff. When I'm not doing that, I do fabrication work in stainless steel and aluminum around the plant and do simple, basic jobs on a lathe and milling machine.

To take care of any excess cash from my day job, I keep a small flock of sheep and a few dozen chickens and dub around with my 1938 McCormick-Deering F14.
 
I am a veterinary pathologist. I am a veterinarian, but I drive a microscope, diagnosing disease, pestilence and such from tissues that people like OhioTractorGuy send me from cats, dogs, horses, etc. MM tractors.
 
Parts manager at an auto dealership. Started out as an auto tech right out of high school, and moved up in the company. Dyed in the wool IH man. Have 3 H's, an M & 806 bought new by my grandad, an F-20 bought new by my great-grandad, a 3444 backhoe, 2 Scouts, 3 IH trucks, and a house and barn full of IH memoribillia.
 
Retired teacher in northcentral PA. I farm to keep busy, keep about 30 steers to sell to the freezer market. Every time there's a beef recall I pick up more customers.
 
I grew up on my Dad's farm, where I got a very good knowledge of mechanical things. In the Navy I was a air craft mechanic. About the time I got out of the Navy Dad had stopped farming (68). I worked for the Unisys computor co. and retired after 36 years. I have a discing and mowing business. My mowing tractors are fairly new, but my discing tractors are Allis Chalmers Model M crawlers from the 30's. I have several Indian motorcycles, My favorate is my 37 chief. That's my story, and I am sticking to it. Stan
 
Stationary Engineer.Fancy name for a boiler operator.Been doing this for 37 yrs.Great job ,but shift work sucks.
Al
 
I"m a house mover :-)
100_1615.jpg

house moving pictures
 
That's funny I'm a junior in high school also, In summer I am always outside we farm 200 acres so that keeps me busy, as well as cattle, dogs donkeys and sheep, in 06 i restored a manure spreader currently restoring a MM Z but waiting for the weather, I really involved with our FFA chapter. After 9 pm at night you will find me on the phone for many hours (she likes to talk alot). O I almost forgot, study, do homework, LOL
 
I'm a freshman at the University of Wyoming majoring in agroecology and possibly ag ed if they get the dual major deal passed for those programs. In the summers I help around the farm/ranch, worked at a welding shop, and stuff like that.
 
Dairy farmer (5th generation on the farm) who 'bleeds blue'... all Fords- '53 Jubilee, '67 Mustang coupe, '69 5000 row crop, '75 7000, '77 7600, '80 4600, '83 F250 4x4, '89 TW35 II, '00 Mustang coupe, and '02 Taurus (that one is "hers")
 
I grew up on a farm at the edge of the Nebraska Sandhills. Dad farmed & raised cattle. We milked cows, had hogs, raised a big garden, grew our own potatoes, raised chickens. The folks sold cream & eggs to the local creamery. Graduated from high school & have worked for a factory that makes engine valves for the last 35 years.
I run CNC lathes & make the tooling that engine valves are pressed out of. I live on a 2 acre spread in central Nebraska.
 
Computer programmer with govt. Mainly mainframe computers - COBOL, JCL but I have done FoxPro on PC's. This is not a glamorous job....
 
Assistant world wide logistics manager for the nations top supplier of medical IV bags, tubings and connectors.
 
Master Sgt in the US ARMY for the past 3 years been training Cav. Scouts. Going back to the old maint job in Jun
 
Husband, Father, Iowa National Guardsman, (Currently deployed in Kosovo), tractor tinkerer. Manage Guard computer techs when I'm not deployed.
 
Grew up on a dairy farm and went to work for the U.S. Government after high school testing all the wheel and track laying vehicles such as the M60 Main Battle Tank and the M1A1 Abrams Tank. Got drafted during the Korean War. Was rehired
after being discharged spent 6 years in the Reserves. Retired from the government. Here's the vehicle we used for drawbar and cooling tests. Hal
48f1061.jpg
 
Work full-time as maintenance manager (groundskeeper, building upkeep, mechanic, builder, pool mechanic, etc.) for a Christian camp and retreat center and work on a big grain farm in the spring and fall. I'm quitting my camp job in April and moving to a cattle and hay farm. I'm happiest when I have 50 year old oil grime under my fingernails, whether it be from my two IH trucks, antique B+S engines, or anything I can get my wrenches on.
 
I work in a bulk fuels storage terminal for Sunoco.We supply Philadelphia Airport with about 50% of the fuel they use. This pays all the bills at home.I farm about 60 acres.Hay and soybeans.All my equipment is old,my new tractor that I bought last Januray is 35 years old,but,it is payed for.
 
Former history professor, auto-mechanics teacher, farmer. Currently tractor collector, part time history professor, religion teacher, dance teacher.
 
Hi Friend. What do you have for IH trucks? I have a '59 B-120. It's my current project. I also have a '68 1200C that's a good runner. A fella on this board sold it to me as a matter of fact. How about you?
 

I farmed quite a bit of irrigated land for several years - wheat and corn - from ditch irrigation to pipe to center pivot sprinklers.

Now I'm director of IT at the local university. We've got about 1000 computers in 20-some buildings on the network I manage. I also do outside IT consulting for some local firms. Keeps life interesting!

My Dad and brother still farm quite a bit, so it gives me a place to keep my old tractors and take the kids out and get dirty every now and then...

Howard
 
Machinist by trade but have been a tig welder for the last eight years. Currently working for a company building exhaust transitions for ground based turbine engines. Have a small backyard flock and help my brother grain farm a little. Been around old tractors for almost fourty years thanks to Dad and his hobby. Have a nice collection of G John Deere's and one tractor thats Prarie Gold. Love working with my sons and passing what knowledge I have on to them.
 
Master carpenter.Have a small carpentry business.We specialize in framing and finish work in new home construction.Two sons take up most of my spare time but they like the tractors so it works out well.Hobbies are helping the farmer down the road anytime of year and helping a local sugarhouse in season.
Vito
 
I am a retired Ding A Ling (telephone man) and my main job now is taking care of my wife who has congestive heart failure.
John
 
Estimator and sometimes project supervisor for a general contractor. Started off with them 38 years ago as a carpenter.
 
Senior in high school, and thus far I've been busy with homework and AP classes up until a few weeks ago. Since then, me, my parents, and some friends have begun the process of cutting down some 160 pecan trees out of the orchard. So far we've got 20-25 down in 3 days, and the neighbor has come and cut a few for custom cabinetry. Won't be too much longer and it will be time to start mowing again.

Kevin
 
I'm a Firefighter/Paramedic full time, and also on a rural dept. I'm also in the National Guard and as for farming I bale about 40 acres for some neighbors.
 
dairy farmer and tractor/ implement collector. the cows and crops gave me a good excuse why i needed more tractors.
 
I'm an inspector for the New York State Dept of Health, and I own and run a goat dairy farm. My wife and I ship goats' milk to a cheese processor, plus we raise fiber sheep and have a flock of free range chickens and sell organic free range eggs.
 
Retired Electrical Engineer, now a semi retired Attorney in Bloomington, Indiana. Past full or part time farmer and used tractor dealer and collector/restorer of antique John Deeres.

John T Nordhoff
 
"WoW" Glad you asked this question as it brings to light the diversification that makes our world what it is. A great place to be living in is our United States of America and the answers provide to your question just shows that it is gewtting better every day to say"I'M an American" As for me I was raised on a Dairy Farm with Purebred Gurnsey's, was a US Marine for awhile[8 Yrs,4 of them as a Reserve,once a Marine always a Marine],Farmed and Milked 40 Head of Holstiens for a few years but most of my Life I was a Union Carpenter in Ill,the last 12 years working Refuels and Rebuilds in Nuclear Power Plants in ILL . Now retired since 1999 and having a pretty good time here in Arizona.Have a nice 20'x40' Shop, a New Arctic Cat 500 ATV, my Ford Dually and 35' Jayco Designer 5th Wheel RV Trailer and plenty of places we like to go plus I am an Artist in OIL and Acrylic paints and Avenues of the Arts gives us plenty to do.I love Art and do my best. JC
 
I"m a retired Air Force fighter plane radar technician and a retired Boeing test engineer. Now I sit around my place in the mountains and watch the wildlife while maintaining five old tractors.
 
Electrical estimator and project manager. Wife and four kids, 3 daughters and one son. I like the old Ford tractors, and have a 53 Golden Jubilee and a 54 Ford NAA.
 
Service Department Parts counterman at a Deere Golf & Turf Dealer just outside Atlanta. (5 more years and I'm taking my toys and going home!)
 
International technical advisor for a large helicopter company. 30 plus years in helicopter maintenance with most time spent outside US (For the last eight years in Mexio.) Grew up on an alfalfa and cotton farm in the Pecos valley, New Mexico.
 
Tool & Diemaker by trade, Tool & Die inspector for GM. Got 10 acres in Howell, Michigan, help my wife at her dog grooming salon, play with my Farmall H (48) & my International 300U. 29 years at GM, looking for a happy ending!!!
 
I work as a heat transfer systems applications engineer in my 35th year with the company. We raise 10 to 15 head of cattle on 40 acres. We use two 860 and a 850 ford to put up hay haul wood and any other chores. Also have a 674 internationl with loader that comes in handy. I read a lot but post one in a while.
 
Been farming all my life, started a cattle marketing business 7 years ago, and this past summer started an online tractor parts store with my kids (what better way to teach them about business?). Just putting the finishing touches on our new farm shop, then maybe I'll get back to working on all these old tractors sitting around here...........
 
I am a Trainer in Histology. I work in a
private research laboratory. Been there 5 years now. Before I was a machinist.
 
Before I retired, I did electrical maintenance in a factory that builds the large air conditioners. I grew up on a dairy farm in Minnesota and later moved across the border to Wisconsin. I still have a couple of the old tractors that I grew up with plus a couple of others. I am presently camping down in Florida and enjoying the warm weather for a couple of months. My handle, Crem, comes from spelling Merc backwards.
 
Mechanical Engineer for Parker Hannifin, Engineered Polymer Seal Division. I grew up on a fruit farm, currently have a small cut flower business on the side.
 
Wal, I,ll be danged. Us farmers are way outnumbered. Am now 75. Have worked some of the same fields for over 60 years. Have seed and supplies ordered for this year. You think maybe thats enough time on those tractors, and maybe should do some fishing instead?
 
Dairy farmer and family man.Have only 1 antique tractor,M-H,not interested in more right now,no place to store extras.
 
Semi-retired. Adjunct instructor at a couple of community colleges. Teach Technical Writing and Business Communication.
 
I'm retired from the Social Security Administration.
I collect Case equipment and play the tuba in the local bands.
 
Heavy equipment mechanic in a large plant in Mich maintaining mostly forklifts, (approx 300 of them) for the past 16 yrs. At least until the job is outsourced. Mostly IH tractors. Used to restore and show until kids came along. Been working on the same tractor for five years now.
 
I'm a Safety Tech. for a construction company at a electric generating plant. Prior to this I was a full time fire-fighter, blew my back out and had to find easier work. Growing up we farmed 1700 acres of soybeans and wheat, plus kept around 150 head of cows. I'm also an ordained Baptist Minister
 
I taught high school ag shop for 13 years, was a county agent before that. Started farming in high school, bought the place I have now when I was in college. Farmed part time up until last year when I quit 'working for the man' after I got hurt. Now farming, hay of course, lol; beef cows. I also do some dozer and skid loader work, and haul some horses.
 
I work in a nuclear power plant as a field operator. I turn valves and open or close breakers etc.
I work on my dads tractors.
Done a lot of jobs in the past. Early years were farming hand.
I work on my dads tractors.
 
Computer Systems Analyst for John Deere. I have one tractor - a 64 Ford 4000 SOS. Always on the lookout for my next one. Would like to restore an older tractor someday. Any color.
 
I am a parts & Acc. person in a motorcycle dealership. (Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Suzuki) I farm a small flock of chickens and have a ride around lawn mower. But I want to buy my husband an old Oliver 1800 he has his eye on... Any donations?? Shh..
 
I retired as Chief Engineer-Propulsion Research & Prelimnary Design after 34+ years with Boeing Commercial Airplane Group. My wife and I have a small cattle ranch in Western Montana and in my spare time a write and recite cowboy poetry.
 
Stuck in Limbo Now ,, All my adult life been a Home improvement contractor/Farmer since Way Back/ raised too many Hogs until 92 / only beef and row crops with hay today ... served 4 years Co Commissioner starting in 02 .,lost in 06 by 3%.. currently on the nnalert ballot for Co. Council .. Hope the good Folks Will give me the Nod ,, Always liked public service . Jim
 
Retired UAW and master electrician. Previously, landlord, radio tv tech, Toledo scale repairman, Aviation tech Navy. Recapped tires and shade tree mechanic since first car in 196l. Wish I could say I was a farmer, but nothing grows for me. Have 2 acres, but usually under water lots of the year. Got tired of planting and replanting. So tractors, motorcycles, mowing will have to do. Sometimes thats too much. Age 64.
 
I am consultant drilling engineer in charge of drilling operations on offshore rigs. I grew up on a dairy farm in South Louisiana, and spent a number of years, leaving as an Armor Officer with experience in M-60's and M-1's, hence the handle "Tanklord".
 
Computer Tech. Ontario Canada. Not much work in this area but can make a living with a side job doing yard, garage, apartment clean ups. Antique tractor pulling hobby. Never cared for the farm life but still love them old tractors I grew up on.
 
Army vet, served in the gulf war. Farmer and corrections officer at the Butler County Prison. Keepin the idiots locked up and the public safe. I am restoring my 51G and 51A so I can play on sunny days.
 
Utility supervisor for my home town for the last 14 years. I take care of the water supply for 15,000 customers, from the reservoir to water plant through distribution. Grew up on a farm and farmed till health problems in 1991. I"ll be 52 this month....James
 

What a spectacular question! Retired 15 years ago from police department after 20 years service, went back to school for a CS degree and have been a certified Oracle database administrator for the last 12 years. There are enough IT people here to start our own outsourcing group! Grew up driving the family LA Case tractors on Dad and Grandad's ground in central Kansas, near Larned. Miss that - a lot.
 
I've been retarded UH retired for the last 20 years from the Government. I was Heavy equipment Mechanic and inspector.
Now I just play on my small farm and raise a few cattle and do some haying in the spring then lay around all winter waiting for summer.
Walt in Oregon
 
Grew up on a farm raising corn, beans, wheat,hay,chickens,sheep, hogs and herfords. Journeyman machine repairman machinist retired with 33 years at GM. Now have a shop and restore JD two cylinders. Enjoy Crappie fishing. rw
 
Raised on a farm located on the MT-ND border near the confluence of the Yellowstone River with the Missouri River. Taught Vocational auto & Vocational Small Engines for 33 years in MN. Retired & now work 1/2 time as a funeral pre-planner & assistant at the funeral home.
2 sons, 3 grandsons, 1 granddaughter & I have 10 tractors that we have mostly restored and show them at the Lake Region Pioneer Threshing Show in Dalton, MN
 
Assistant accountant for community college. Never cared for crunching numbers but it pays the bills. Hubby is a program director in the continuing ed dept. of same community college system. He is third generation to work the farm in E. Tx. No livestock, we raise hay. We don"t live there yet, but wish we could.
 
im a gravel truck owner and driver and also drive the company trucks when things are slow, both a 10 wheeler and a 18 wheeler depending on how much material is going to a paticular job and weather the semi will fit into the jobsite, i also run a small horse farm[ roping and barrel racers] and raise some food stuff for our own consumption, i designed my own truck to be able to convert from semi tractor to straight dump in less than 3 hours, so i can use it either way depending on what we're doing, these days if your in trucking the more flexible you can be the more work you can do you have to grab every dollar you can find because uncle sam will want .75 of each one
 
Sales Engineer for a machinery company - steel industry. When not traveling, I do a lot of woodworking and remodeling. I make wooden buckets as a hobby - museum quality.
Grew up on 10 acres - mowed 2 of them and Dad had a big garden - learned to drive on a Farmall F12 which we hope to restore . . needs a new short block. I also have an Allis WD45 which is a real workhorse.
 
Lineman (power), Hobby farm 10 Herefords +-, 2 goats (brush control) Antique horse, one small tractor (MF) One Wife (thank God) Three Kids (G-4,B-2.5, B-1) No Old tractors---yet (see one wife:))
 
Marine machanic by trade. Have small amount of land in south central oregon. Grow up with tractors and equipment and farming. Ride Horses for the county search and rescue team.
 
Went into the car repair business out of high school. Spent 14 years running the service departments of 3 dealerships. Went into printing and spent 14 years making sure that newspapers and then magazines were pretty and readable. Now I run my own business doing home improvement. I make and fix things and would do it for free if I didn"t need the money. Self taught country boy grew up in the burbs, have lived in a rural area for the last 16 years heating with wood and playing with my International 424. Never farmed but grow tomatoes and Hot peppers every year.
 
I am a machine mechanic for a small apparel manufacturer. I worked for a shirt manufacture for 38 years until they moved south. We are currently making armored vests.
old bc
 
Vo-Ag teacher for 3 years, until the doctor said I had the beginnings of an ulcer. Was already farming part time and had a chance to buy a farm so I went farming full time 20 years ago. Have always had stock cows, had hogs til the bottom fell out. Got the home place bought and finally moved back home last year. Had to do quite a bit of work to the house and third child came along in May (pleasant surprise) so Momma stays home now and money is pretty short, but we're pretty happy. Lee
 
retired dhia field tech. took milk samples on dairy farms. to help farmer find his good and bad points. always amazed me as why some guys couldn't figure way they went broke.
we have mini farm raise highland cattle rent 20 acres out to neighbor.
mrs 730 is retired school teacher.
 
Guys, I am a Annuity, Life, Long Term Care, Health Insurance agent here in Texas! been doing it for 16 yrs. Before that Farm/Ranch full time.
Still,run my part of our family ranch that has been our family since the 1840s! Because of all the brush, we run Spanish Goats to better utilize our land.
Later,
John A.
 
High School Industrial Tech Teacher. Lately that means CAD Drafting, Computer Animation and occasionally a period of Woodworking. Been at it since 1974. Spent a few years out running a wodworking facility and worked in the kitchen cabinet intustry too. Teach in Southern CA and wish I could spend more time at our dream home near Durango, CO. Well one day when I retire.......
 
Along with being a single dad and all that entails, for my paycheck I am an animal nutrient provider(put up hay and feed it to cattle), animal confinement technician(fix and build fences), animal water technician(fix and maintain a few dozen windmills), animal transportation coordinator(move cattle from one pasture to another), part-time veteranarian, mechanic, welder, carpenter, plumber, electrician, calf roper, trucker, snow shoveler, barn cleaner, pesticide applicator, painter, roofer, tree trimmer, tire repairman, road maintanance technician, gutter cleaner, and probably a couple dozen other things I'm forgetting(night calving gets to a guy after awhile).

Or one could narrow all the above down and just say I'm a rancher. 5th generation in the Nebraska Sandhills with around 1400 head to keep an eye on give or take a few hundred at various times of the year. Went to college for auto mechanics and did that for several years before moving back to the ranch for good.

In my "free time" I'm an antique collector and trader(from old tractors and cars down to bottles and everything in between), a mediocre guitar player, stock car racer, hunter, trapper, and well practiced joke-forgetter.
 
Been welding for about 20 years.Right now I work for Joy Mining Machinery building underground mining equipment.Am a union steward for our IAM local and am also a volunteer firefighter for Oakland TWP.(Venango Co.,PA)Wife is also in the VFD.We farm some of my Dad's place for Sweet corn and pumpkins and help my uncle and grandad with some of their farming.Been farming all my life,AND LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT.
 
This very interesting. I started out working at several farms as some of the farmers didnt have all the equipment they needed,[kinda like share croping]. After that I drove small dump truck for a driveway installer.He had a backhoe, small roller,And a tailgate paver.Then my friends? and neighbors wanted to see me in uniform. [Army Viet Nam] Then drove tri Axel some on Kinzua reservoir The rest of that year was on Youngsville bypass [both near Warren Pa.] After that, I worked in a tire plant for 16 years in Indiana Pa till the union got busted,left there for van driver for handicapped kids,[this was a M/H M/R related field] drove,tractor trailer hauling gas & fuel [till I got burned out] too many hrs.went back to van for 6 mo. drove their truck until retiring last year.-------Hobies include stock garden tractor pulls, tractor raceing was also in view we built one and it was too dangerous so I sold it. and playing my guitar.Loving God,and my family.---Oh yes, this forum also.
 
Wow Tom, Interesting topic to read.

SheetMetal Worker

AWS Certified weldor (33 different certs)

AWS CWI (Certified Weld Inspector, Nuke plants)

Instructor for HVAC&R, Welding, SheetMetal

HVAC&R Engineer (Design and Troubleshooting of complex control systems)

Indoor Air Quality Engineer

Energy Management Engineer

Retired

Most remote job location: 2500miles west of Hawaiian Islands, 500 miles South of Russia named Attu,AK. 12hr flight time in a puddle jumper and 6hrs in a C-137.

T_Bone
 
I am a student at the Ohio State University- Agricultural Technical Institute for livestock science and crop management. I work at the Ohio Ag R&D Center as a research assistant in the soft wheat lab. At home I live on a boer goat farm, work on a sheep and hay farm, and raise my own alfalfa.
 
Just amazed at the young people adding their reply.; Mine 65 year old retired from: farming 1300 acres,owning a large ih crawler salvage yard,one of the largest Kubota dealerships in the state, Now just love to play on the farm.
O also notice a lot of National Guard readers
spent 17 years doing that also. ADVISE TO ALL THOSE YOUNG READERS DO NOT BE AFRAID OF FAILURE
IF YOU SEE A DREAM AND THINK YOU CAN MAKE IT WORK..GO FOR IT..
 
I am a hardware Engineer for a company that makes pharmaceutical test equipment. I have a small farm here in NH 42 goats(Boerers and Kikos) two horses, 8 Sheep, Geese and chickens so far. I am on here to learn how to keep the tractors I have running to continuing to farm. Turned 40 last April and Now I know what I want to be when I grow up.

JW in NH
 
Jack booted thug, at least according to some people....

I'm a 21 year State Trooper, farmer, logger, mechanic, Dad, jack of all trades.
 
Jack booted thug, at least according to some people....

I'm a 21 year State Trooper, farmer, logger, mechanic, Dad, jack of all trades.
 
I'm a photographer for a University in Ohio, grew up in the suburbs listening to my dad's stories of his childhood on the farm. Spent 6 years in the Air Force loading nukes onto bombers, spent 4 years in college. Now my wife and I own a little log cabin in the country. When I bought my old tractor, you should have seen my dad's eyes light up. It was the first time he'd been on a real tractor since 1948 or so.
 
Grew up helping local farmers and kissing thier daughters. Joined the Army out of school to work on whatever rolled, and yell at people in between pulling gaurd duty, mowing grass, and doing police call. Got out of the Army 17 years ago in Germany and done everything from a cashier to material handler, to working in an office. Still in Germany working for Uncle Sam and raising Foundation Bred Quarter Horses and Australian Sheperds. Hang out on these forums and take advantage of the creativity. If you'd ask that question here it wouldn't be so colorful. These folks pick the direction they want to go almost in grade school. Once a cashier always a cashier. Not quite as drastic, but close. In America, a rocket scientist runs out of rockets to work on, draws unemployment for a few weeks then does whatever he can to feed mom and the kids. Here, he draws unemployment until they find some more rockets cause he wasn't trained to be a cashier.

Dave
 
Oracle DBA and UNIX system administrator. Volunteer firefighter in a small MN town. Enjoy putzing around the farm when I'm not chasing my three little munchkins around.
 
Hay Tom,
I geuss that we have some thing in common, I a also a Juinior in High School. The sad thing is that I am also a janitor at my high school. But it makes money, can't commplain, much.
 
Went to school for industrial technology but I wound up working for the power company. Luckily get to live on ground that has been in wifes family for many moons. Yeah I have a Cockshutt too :-)
 
Real estate lawyer. Also, help the Mrs. take care of her dozen Paso Fino horses. Would like to have more time to tinker with my '48 Hudson and several old tractors, but find my energy level is just about enough to do my work and keep up with the horse farm. Will be 60 in August.
 
Automotive Sculptor(clay modeler) currently ,have also been a Fabricator of prototype automotive components,racecar fabricator ,hotrod fabrictor, and Laison engineer. Currently I farm about 30 ac. in the thumb of MI. and raise dexter cattle, hogs, chickens and vegtables with my wife and daughter. I also help on a dairy farm of a frend, during peak seasons..Shawn
 
Bought my first bovine at age 9 and hav'nt been out of the business yet.Out of high school in 62 went to Cal Poly in for three years, then uncle sam needed my help training F.O.s at Ft Sill, Ok 66 68 back to home farm in summers and college in the winters couple more years Got involved in Simmental business in 69 got married in 73 had two kids she left with kids in 75 I left home ranch in 76 and went w. Ky to farm with Uncle and a cousin . 78 married my wonderfull wife,(got a daughter in the deal) 79 ex calls she doesn't want the kids anymore,now we have three kids.Late 79 we move to the family ranch which I lease and get job as a mine electrian for the next three years I mine, raise 350 acre wheat, custom hay and have 125 beef cow.(Jed our yougest in born in 82) Mine closes in 83 and I've been a full time rancher since.Wheat all went to CRP in 86. Some tuff times in late eightys and early ninetys with three kids in college at the same time. The last 12 years have been good 3 granddaughters and two grandson's. Wife will retire from FSA(I would have never made it without HER) in May 2009 with thiry years. My cardiologist told me the cows need to go this year. I'll be 65 in July. Retirement is sooner than planned.P.s I spent 20 years on the local conservation district board and 6 on the state board.
 
Interesting. When the boys and I milked cows,we called ourselves "bovine lactation extraction technitions".
 
Grew up on the farm and never got it out of my system. Retired from the Post Office after 30+ yrs as a city mail carrier,and then as a tech doing maint on postal equipment in central NE. Currently have a MH comp util tractor, JD riding mower, 5 refurbished manure spreaders. I do the firewood thing for the house and shop, have a large garden, have 100's of trees- -all on 5 acres in eastern NE.
 
Retired as Lt.in 1990 from NYS Dept of Correction
moved to Wis. Had more fun than a fella should be
allowed to have working for a farmer on his field
crew, moved back to NY when the boys took the
grandchildren back with them. Now I work a little
for a couple of farmers, and refurbish old tractors
not fussy about the brand. Some of them are in the
the tractor photo galleries. Dave Wilcox
 
Retired firefighter - after 30 years I moved from E. Lansing to Dallas and started a moving company - no tractors but I keep our 11 moving vans on the road.
 
(quoted from post at 22:20:04 03/04/08) retired dhia field tech. took milk samples on dairy farms. to help farmer find his good and bad points. always amazed me as why some guys couldn't figure way they went broke.

I did that for 10 years for Ontario DHI. Sell a bit of hay, give lessons on the fiddle and piano, always relief milked when I could. Runnin' low on Dairy farms around here though....
 
Yep, was gonna use "bovine" instead of "animal" for those descriptions, but we have horses too......which reminds me I need to add "horse trainer", "leather worker", and "farrier" to that list.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top